Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Heinrich Severloh The beast of Omaha

Discussion in 'Omaha Beach' started by Jim, Feb 14, 2012.

1. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Review my messages from last night and this morning. Or, there's also my unanswered messages from earlier this week.

Correct, you did not call me anything. I never claimed otherwise.

2. shooterike

shooterike Member

Yes, I know all that! The problem with it is that you are speaking in generalities. Mixing apples and oranges.You are trying to prove that because the Germans used captured arms and gave them a type number -- It also proves that those weapons were also in the overall system and fully supported. It does not! As I said, the Germans DID NOT produce ammunition for captured weapons or fully support them. Yes, there were captured weapons in standard German calibers. Some PPSh 41 were converted to 9mm. Some TT33 were also converted to 9mm. Means nothing in the greater scheme of things. Those German type numbers that you think were so important, were actually used by the Waffenmeisters as a guide to fabricate special mounts so that the captured weapons could be quickly mounted for use. See pages 750 to 768 "From the MG08 to the MG3" by Folke Myrvang.

3. George Patton

Except, for example, 8mm Lebel and 6.5mm Dutch

4. Takao

Takao Ace

You can add 7.5mm French and 6.5mm Carcano

5. George Patton

And 11.25mm "Norwegian Colt" (aka ".45ACP").

6. shooterike

shooterike Member

Yes, at Normandy the actual combat range at most was probably under 500 meters. Any number of different cartridges can take a man out at those ranges. The post where I mentioned the greater range of German sS ball over US M2 was in a explanation of the maximum combat range (3500 meters) of a MG34/42 lafette (infantry tripod mounted) as opposed to a US .30 caliber Browning MG firing M2 ball (3,150 meters).
    Although interesting, it has no bearing on Severloh's use of his MG34/42 as he was using it as a light machinegun for close range work.

7. shooterike

shooterike Member

Please post photos of markings!

8. shooterike

shooterike Member

Please post photos of markings!

9. shooterike

shooterike Member

Please post photos of markings! Otherwise just more fake news.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  10. shooterike

shooterike Member

Please post photos of cartridge and German markings. Otherwise it is just more fake news.

11. Takao

Takao Ace

RichTO90 likes this.
  12. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Um, no, I am speaking in specifics, such as exactly how many machine guns were in the positions, what the ammunition situation was, where the positions were, and so forth. You know, the reality of OMAHA and the German defenses in Normandy as opposed to your fevered imagination. You instead are speaking in tongues, avoiding issues, and refusing to answer questions.

The use of foreign weapons is yet another case of you blowing smoke. You wanted to know how many foreign weapons were used by the defenders in Normandy. I told you. You wanted to know about the number of German weapons in use. I told you. You wanted to know about the ammunition available. I told you. I've given you chapter and verse on the German weapons in WN 62 and the casualties suffered by their opponents. Those are specifics.

Instead, you respond with generalities. You claimed that foreign weapons were not used by the Germans. That is a generality and is incorrect. You claimed that the Germans did not produce foreign weapons or ammunition. That is a generality and is incorrect.

So let me ask you specifically again...so you can avoid answering specifically again. Here, I'll number the questions so you can more easily avoid answering them in order.

1. Why was Severloh the one and only "Beast" of OMAHA? He had no training or experience better than that of any of the other soldiers there. He had just one of the 36 leMG 34, 17 leMG 42, and 4 sMG 42 in place at the start of the battle. He had just one of the 88 machine guns known in the positions that were fired during the battle. He had just one of the 111 machine guns available during the battle.
    2. There were also many other weapons systems other than his lone machine gun in action on OMAHA. So how is it that somehow his weapon alone inflicted 54% of the casualties there?
    3. How did he inflict more casualties on the units in his field of fire than they actually suffered?
    4. Why was the performance of that lone man so good, while the performance of the other similar men, equipped with weapons equal to his, were so bad?

13. Takao

Takao Ace

Absence of proof, is not proof of absence.

Besides, you have gotten your link.

RichTO90 likes this.
  14. George Patton

15. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Actually, that phrase is "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" and is a mantra used - and abused - by intelligence analysts for all time.

16. shooterike

shooterike Member

Checked it out. Nice try, but German BOXED ammo does not equate to German PRODUCED ammo. I've got boxes of country "A" ammo re boxed into country "B" boxes. Like I said, post a photo of cartridge with German markings. Otherwise, just more fake news.

17. George Patton

Post #12 in the above link:

"As asked for, here is the head stamp on 8mm Lebel produced under occupation in France... 8mm Lebel.. Steel cased Manufactured in 1943.. Markings are TE at 12 o'clock, 43 at 3 o'clock, C at 6 o'clock, 4 at 9 0'clock.. These were packaged in 8 round packets with German Language Labeling... In the 12 round Boxes the ammo for the Lebel was just repacked French ammo with German Labels.... They also produced ammo for the Bolt action Polish AT rifle and many other foreign ctgs... BILL"

Post #13 in the above link:

"Headstamp on 1943 8mm Lebel Ctg.."

18. shooterike

shooterike Member

19. George Patton

This is at all relevant to the conversation at hand, because ___________ ?

If it is too challenging for you to read through the complete linked thread:

Post #70 in the above link:

"Here is wartime produced ammunition.Produced in Nov.1941"

Buten42 likes this.
  20. shooterike

shooterike Member

Nice try but TE is the stamp for FRANCE, not GERMANY according to "Small Arms Ammunition Identification Guide", page 114