Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hillary

Discussion in 'Political Cartoons & Caricatures' started by Poppy, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

This is the place for political cartoons?
    The other entries were ww2 related, this is a current political one-
    Trump by a landside.
    The people propping hillary up are the wealthy globalists, who control our media.
    Soros for one...
    [​IMG]

Otto and ColHessler like this.
  2. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

I've been hearing about elections in the US of A since the last year and I'm wondering what the heck is taking so long?

Here in Croatia we've had 2 elections during that period...well, three actually since the chosen parties couldn't agree on some stuff after the first election of 2015 so a week later another one was held. Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Looking forward to the debates. 1st one is Sep 26...Hopefully the candidates will have to stand for the whole event.
    Want to hear hillary explain how being buddies/accepting huge donations with KSA will jive with her "feminist" stance.
    Because KSA is against most of what hillary is spouting- lgbt, feminism, equality, free speech etc etc etc.

4. Dave55

Dave55 Member

A former coworker from Benin told me that in his country the first thing the winner of an election does is to arrest the loser of the election.

Poppy and George Patton like this.
  5. General Vatutin

General Vatutin New Member

Not sure you understand how US presidential elections work. Every 4 years a new president is elected, so there is a lot of build up for the next one. Hopefuls begin campaigning years before the election to try and gain traction with a voter base, and then about six months before the election each party has to choose one candidate to represent them. It just this summer got narrowed down to Hillary and Trump.

6. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Not sure whether to laugh or cry on this one too.

I understand how the elections work in the USA. I was only making a joke on how we had 2 (3) elections in my country while there was an election for the whole time in the USA and there still is.

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I drives me bonkers how the contest is dragged out. Makes me not want to vote, but I will.

8. General Vatutin

I see. Well To be fair it was only campaigning for the coming election.

9. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

For those from afar who are watching our elections a brief primer:

Presidential elections are held every 4 years whether the people or legislature have confidence in them or not. That is different from most countries with a Prime Minister. There is a 2 term limit.

They are not elected by popular vote. Each state has members of an electoral college. Then we vote for ones that say they will vote for the candidate they promise to vote for or not. Some states require they do, some do not at least the last time I looked, 50 years ago. Now if you vote for candidate : "A" and your candidate only gets 49% of the vote and candidate "B" gets 51 % then candidate B gets their 51 % plus all of the oppositions 49%. Your vote does not count except in those states where they do.. Hope this is clear to those of you living in Spotsylvania. Now when the electoral college votes and no candidate gets the required 284 electoral votes, or maybe some other number, I might have forgotten , several more votes can be taken to try and get the magic number. If that fails to work then the electors , can decide to vote for whom they please or for whom promises their \state the best deal. There are probably 340,000,000 more Americans that will correct this.

Now that we have a Pres, we elect Senators , by popular vote, of course, 2 from each state to serve a 6 year term and can hold that job for senility or life which ever ends and comes first. . Then our "lower" House, how it can be lower than the Senate is unclear, they both vie for that adjective., are based on the population of each state and are elected by popular vote again and have two year terms but also means no term limits. I feel for the House, they only have two years to make deals and get re-elected unlike the Senate. Less this sound remotely cynical something like 85% of the people think our legislators are , ummmmm , questionable yet 92 %, give or take a few, are re-elected. Their job is to bring money to their states. Obviously they do it well.

Winston Churchill said democracy was a terrible form of government (A paraphrase), just better than all the rest. Actually the US is exempt from that, we are a Republic.....actually.

If I were from another country or even living here I would wonder and do how a country of about 340 mil could not come up with two people better qualified that these two.I cannot abide either one and simply will not vote but since I live in a winner take all state it does not matter. If you do not live in a "Key " state it does not matter :)

Since I was about 16 I have been an Independent moderate, living in "nowhereland", and pretty happy there. But hey, this place is pretty neat !!!!, Thanks, Otto for a refuge !

Can we borrow, Angela Merkel ??? Or who ever runs Singapore ???

Gaines, the Elder

10. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Thank you Gaines! I was afraid I would have to go into lecture mode.

The election of a US President takes the same amount of time it always had (unless it goes to the Supreme court as it did in 2000 or may this year if it goes to the House of Representatives in the very real possibility neither get the required Electoral votes).

It seems longer now because of 24/7 news coverage, Internet access and the great evil of modern times, Social Media! (may it rot in hell)

11. General Vatutin

I would argue that the presidents are NOT elected by popular vote due to the nature of the electoral college system, but I won't confuse it any more...

12. belasar

belasar Court Jester

When it was explained to me in school the Electoral college sounded quite reasonable, but I was young and impressionable then.

13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Here in Australia, the longer an election goes on the worse it gets for the sitting government, so the elections are "called" (Prime Minister's decision on the date) as late as possible...so we have only about two months of ads and baby kissing - We hate that stuff here and the longer it goes the worse it gets for everyone!
    We vote for a party and the party chooses its leader not the voters.
    Respected leaders of the defeated party usually get cushy jobs like ambassador to the USA for example.
    We have a British style parliament and legal system...its stood us in good stead.

14. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Actually, Gaines said exactly that. Reread the first sentence of the first major paragraph.

15. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The electoral college gives states with smaller populations a greater voice, which was the intent of the federalist system of equality among the states that the founders envisioned. It's rather like the Senate giving equal voice despite the population differences.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Cough cough
    [​IMG]

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Are memes considered cartoons-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvjI4M0pwFw

19. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    Is it possible to be impeached before you are elected? Hillary could be making history here!

I'm just back from an enforced absence, Brian

20. chibobber

chibobber Member

If she is indicted and then elected,O will pardon her.If she looses he will still pardon her.