Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

History of the 348th Fighter Group

Discussion in 'Air War in the Pacific' started by Biak, Nov 1, 2010.

1. BOB1949

BOB1949 Member

Welcome back Biak. I was curious if you know anything about Ruben Wayne Macy? From what I have learned through research Ruben was adopted by the Moskaloff (Moshkolof? He is on the 341st squadron photo) family and I am assuming because of this named his plane "The Mad Russian". The reason I ask is because Ruben was the 341st squadron historian (official or unofficial, which one I do not know) and from what I learned wrote several historical articles about the squadron for "The Friends Journal" of the USAF museum in Dayton Ohio. I've tried to locate some of these articles without success as of yet. Any thoughts?

2. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

I will see if I can find something in the cd's I have. Do you have more info ? When he joined the group or other dates etc: ?

I know I've seen a mention of "The Mad Russian" just can't remember where?

3. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

So far I've found he was promoted to Capt. in June 1945. SO 152 FEAF

Oh I also found this :D

341st D Flight
    Front Row L to R
    1st Lt. T.A Gibbons, Capt. R.W. Moskaloff, 1st. Lt. G.G. Murphy
    Second row L to R
    2nd. Lt. J.F. Marshall, F/O H.L. Imlay, 1st. Lt. P.R. Nordell
    Top row L to R
    1st. Lt. J. Colgan, 2nd. Lt. H.M. Berger, 2nd. Lt. H.C. DuBose,
    2nd. Lt. J.C. Baily, 2nd. Lt. B.E. Bonell, 1st. Lt. A.B. Purdy

upload_2020-2-12_12-4-1.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  4. nick goth

nick goth New Member

Hi, I'm new here. I like to research World War 2 history. Part of this is in the Philippines. Mt Mataba/Timberland etc area. I talked to a local Filipino man who as a teenager knew of an old aeroplane crash. There was alloy there. The site is now historical as there is a huge landfill site there now for Metro Manila (San Mateo Landfill). Also the alloy metal was sold in the junk shop. Nothing remains now. The man did not know the type of plane or if US or Japanese or other. I didn't ask him if there were any engines there. I need to though. I thought it was a P-38 Lightning loss as they operated in the area of Mt Mataba/Mt Parawagan (Pacawagan)/Timberland. I don't know the old name of the crash site area. Does anyone have info on what if anything crashed or was shotdown there? And the fate of the pilot. There are old partly open Japanese tunnels there. The man showed me these and I've photos. He also found Japanese soldiers bones, dog tags, artifacts including an Arisaka 6.5mm rifle (i saw this and photographed it). He buried the bones. I want to find out what plane it was. Thanx Nick.

5. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Welcome to the forum Nick. I think it would be a good idea if you start a new thread here: http://ww2f.com/forums/air-war-in-the-pacific.50/

I'm sure you will get some suggestions and answers on the different Units based there and who had operations in the area.

I'll look through what I have and see if I can find anything.

6. nick goth

nick goth New Member

Thanx so much, i have started suitable threads. Hope you have some info on them :)