Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hitler and the occult.

Discussion in 'Prelude to War & Poland 1939' started by JeffinMNUSA, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Lisa Stade

Lisa Stade New Member

people who beleive this stuff about Hitler and the nazis being involved in the occult or satanism, fricking annoy the crap out of me and every other historian and history buff and history major. Or just anyone with to neurons in the cranial cavity's. Just becuase tin fioled hat wearing burdens like this exist, and try to pass themselves off as history buffs that take history seriously. This is one of those reasons why events like charolleteville happened.I can't beleive that deal with your kind, to make social life at my community college a lonely hell. It is like a schizophrenic that does not know how to do any mathematics, trying to pass itself off as a Ivy League Mathematician like Dr. Professor: John Forbes Nash Jr..(the Paraniod Schizophrenic Mathematician from 2001's A Beautiful Mind.)Also I bet I know people who actually are Occultist and magic practicioners would find theories like this offensive to their fiaths. Knowing people who spout this stuff off about the Nazis and Hitler always groups these groups along with the Nazis and with Hitler. I used to be a Psychology major too. so I do what I am also talking about. That major still makes it's way into my History major even when I a personally studying ip on Hitler and the Nazis on my freetime.

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I have a lifelong interest in characters like Mathers, Crowley, Fuller, Blavatsky's Baboon and all that.
    I don't think it's often acknowledged enough in breathless shlock horror reportage about NAZI OCCULT SECRETS that interest in this stuff was pretty popular in the first part of the C20th. Trendy, even.
    Particularly among the upper echelons, and at least in the British context - not uncommon in the military (See Fuller above. As good a Google start on military mystics as anyone).
    It's just too bloody easy to establish a tenuous link with so much of it in the contemporary air, then spin it up into something darkly sinister/dramatic.
    And TBH, almost all early C20th mysticism was patrician men in funny clothes. It's doubtful Adolf or Himmler would be admitted to the 'intellectual' club without a great deal of laughing behind hands.

German Nazism was an early C20th phenomenon too, so it may have sometimes run alongside the occult culture, but certainly didn't need it or particularly use it to achieve aims. It proved itself more than capable of entering the darkest realms without any external assistance.
    Oft-cited examples, from Himmler's castle to the sodding Spear of destiny, ring more of useful/dramatic symbolism and propaganda than any genuine beliefs.

3. Carronade

Carronade Ace

@von Poop makes a good point that mysticism, spiritualism, etc. were widespread at the time - and a lot of that is still around, along with astrology, psychics, etc.

We should also keep in mind that most people believe in invisible supernatural entities, worship them, pray to them, and expect such entities to aid them in their daily lives and care for them after death. Some are even willing to murder other people who disagree with their beliefs.

Although I am not religious, I think Jesus, the man who lived and died two thousand years ago, made some good points, such as "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

A topic I've only a basic understanding, but it appears to me a lot of what was classified as Third Reich "occult" was essentially generic pagan ceremony. I'm no expert on the differences between pagan & occult in any case.

We can actually see a lot of this pagan belief and ceremony with the modern Ukrainian Azov battalion, but we wouldn't consider their idols and pagan statues "occult".