Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How Hitler could have won

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by chromeboomerang, Jul 23, 2006.

1. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

The only way Britian could realy have held off a German invasion early on would be if said invasion was localised in the area of landing's However operation Sealion had landings on several area's across the British coast, Far too much for the single combat ready division they fielded to handle.

2. lwd

lwd Ace

Is there? How were they going to launch said invasion and with what?
    The Germans couldn't have launched Sea Lion before mid September. They simply didn't have enough transport. So what can they land while there is still only the "single combat ready division"? Of course saying there was only a single combat ready division in Britain is a bit misleading as well. Also given their transport capabilities the Germans would pretty well localize themselves if they managed to get ashore which is unlikely. Examine for instance what happened to the naval portion of the Crete invasion.

So just when do you propose the Germans try and invade?

3. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

Sealion has been discussed,at nauseam;IMHO,is was impossible for the Germans to land more than a few batallions,without heavy weapons,ammunition and transport .

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

See, told ya.

~A

5. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Stop clapping with that fish in yer mouth poopy it dont suit yer...

The invasion was as I've said ad finetum and a bit more....since joining in 2002 never going to happen...Even Churchill knew it was never going to happen. My point on Von Noodles post was based not on an invasion. I'm well aware of the logistics needed, I've repeated em often enough. I'm stating his words are not that daft if we read what many historians and writers have said over time that if And a big if without much explanation of how...that if there was to be any invasion it should have been planned for and logistics at the minimum required for after the the defeat of France on the battle field. Not the actual surrender apparantly. And not even in some cases with the BEF back home. I could quote the sources for some of these beliefs. but I'm sure you've read them yourselves. I'll restate..If there was ever to be a successful invasion. If planned before the battle of France and logistics at a minimum in place then it still would have had to be carried out immediately after British were on the left foot in France or on way home. It wasn't there were no logistics in place and there was no plan sufficient to carry out in place. This is a what if...I don't do em...But if Germany had the plans in place before the invasion of France then the optimal time would have been then not September.

6. lwd

lwd Ace

Even with the plans could they have actually gathered the resources? Wasn't a lot of the transport for instance French, Belgian, and Dutch? There's also still the problem of what to do with the incredably anemic KM at that point in time. If they try it before the French surrender then will the commitment of so much of the LW and other assets allow the French to get a "second wind" and possibly continue? I don't see that that they can really have a good handle on what assets they will have until late May or early June then to prepare a plan and gather them is going to take some time. Then they still have to force the channel in the face of the RN and RAF. At what point did they have decent airbases set up in France by the way?

7. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

Okay, let's assume that Führer had idea how to transport his troops and equipment to England, but how the hell he planned to transport all his 650.000 horses needed to carry all these things? Perhaps he has planned to confiscate all horses in the Southern England and use them as Hiwis! :D

8. urqh

I think with the horses...we may be flooging a dead horse...ooops...

Mind you...William managed to get his horses across..far less yes...and no HMS Nelson bearing down on him, but get em across he did...

Its a what if..As stated I don't do em...But if I was to. I'd have Hitler planning for an invasion of Britain before ww2 battles of France and his shipping and logistics would have been in place before a single German set foot in Belgium or Holland. Or even Poland for that matter. Sacrifices elsewhere would be needed...but if there was to be a serious attempt at invasion of Britain then there was no choice. Otherwise we get out of what if and into what happened...

I've finished with sealion...he says lyingly....10 percent of my postings must be on this alone debunking it...10 percent on Sheep..in ww2 of course...5 percent on Bombing not being war criminals..and 5 percent on Falklands...I shall now revert my posting efforts to Princess Di and the armed forces...was she done in by the Daily express and father in law...

Red white and blue...what did you think we would do....

9. lwd

lwd Ace

:)
    But no RN or RAF and most of the Saxon army was at Stamford Bridge when he crossed.
    There are at least two problems with this:
    1) If some of his preperations are obvious the British will react to them which will compound his problems and require even more assets devoted to it's execution.
    2) How much of his resources can he devote to this before the Heer is weakened to the point where France isn't knocked out?

There's also a question of whether or not he can put the logistics, shipping, and naval forces together for this by 1940. After that the required resources start increasing and his economy becomes shaky.

10. panzergruppefuhrer

panzergruppefuhrer Member

if hitler didnt take the 4th panzers away from army group north, they would have taken leningrad with relative ease, then this force, along with the fins could bear down on moscow along the direct train line there Moscow would fall very quickly since army group centre would have relief since the russian opposition would be forced to pull back to moscow along with those at stalingrad, army group south could then take the caucasian oilfields and push back to link up with the two other forces and begin the assult on moscow from all sides(the idea was to pincer and engulf moscow) with russia now out of the picture the germans could yet again focus on the destruction of britain and her empire without the threat of trecherous bolsheviks

11. urqh

12. panzergruppefuhrer

they had an alliance...ish and if the germans let the russians get too powerful then russia would expand communism into the facist reich, thats why i used the word treacherous

13. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Oh how simple it all was...

All of the Soviet Union would have fallen had it not been for the 4th Panzer...

urqh likes this.
  14. panzergruppefuhrer

yeah, without the 4th panzers the only armoured units they had were mechanized infantry, not really a match for tanks

15. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

there was also 1,2,and 3 PzArmy
    There were not that much Soviet tanks left on 1 december 1941(1958)
    But,all this is not very important,because the war in the east was not decided by tanks .

16. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

:eek:
    After having read and reread ,and reread this post,my conclusion is :you have looked to much to history channel

ptimms likes this.
  17. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

How Hitler could have won WWII, Well off the top of me head he could have kept the secret of the British/French plan to bomb Russia's oil fields, Letting them go through with it would bring Russia onto Germany's side and through shear weight in numbers England would be defeated... or.. he could just have joined the Allies.

18. urqh

19. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Of course he did, didn't you watch Enemy at the Gates!

20. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

Would be the best thing to do, Take out any threat of the Russian Navy by having them and the RN destroy each other, and maybe a million russian troops along with em too.