Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How many divisions to defend France with Britain out?

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1939 - 1942' started by Daniel Jones, Jan 20, 2007.

1. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

I would appreciate those sources please, But let me ask you this.

If the US sank so many U-boats in the war using planes or ships then could you tell me were these planes/ships were launched from, Becouse i highly delt they came all the way from America.

Ok i agree that the Germans wouldnt be able to field a competent air naval arm but dont mean it wont be able to couse alot of hassles for the Americans.

Oil shortages would be a problem but atleast they wouldnt be using up oil in NA or in all of those U-boat operations through out the war, Not to mention there would be no air attacks on any of there oil fields (except maybe from the soviets, which i highly delt they could do).

US production may have been double that of German (with Germany using the resources and industries of occupied territory) production. But wouldnt the Germans be on the defence in the Atlantic. Oh and those thousands of pilots and aircraft they lost over the years would be at there disposel, Oh and im also guessing a number of those pilots lost in the Luftwaffe air attacks would still be available.

And if i am reading the statistics properly didnt Germany build aircraft quicker then they could train pilots, Germany had no issue when it came to aircraft production.

And those 90 divisions the US had would just be picked off becouse there is no way the US could transport them all over, And supply them. They could at the most transport 9....MAYBE 10 divisions, which would require every transport ship they had. The fact is that Germany could have built up here fighters/bombers/dive bombers over friendly skys through out the war, And then release one massive combined attack with the Kriegsmarine which would include several hundered U-boats.

Only way the US could have done it would be to go from Canada to Greenland, and from Greenland to Ice land, and then and only then could they attack the UK, By which time Germany is well aware of the US and is going to be more than ready.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Thank you for your reply.

Two Ocean War, S.E. Morrison
    Brute Force, J. Ellis
    The Blitzkreig Myth, E. Mosier
    The Bomber War, R. Neillands
    Fatal Decisions, E.Blanford
    Huh? I guess you do not fully realize the ability of the US to produce arms. I could provide production numbers for you such as the US produced almost as many aircraft in 1944 alone as German did the entire war or that the US produced more warships during the war than any of the other combatant’s entire combat fleets combined. And this was while producing 2751 Liberty ships and over 1000 LSTs and butt load of smaller landing craft. The US Navy finished the war at over 15,000 vessels of all types, not counting the merchant marine. The US Army was one of the smaller armies in existence in 1940 and rose to be one of the larger, if not the largest, by 1945. Bear in mind, though that the Soviets and the Nazi had about bled each other white by then. This buildup was occurring at the same time as the largest air force and largest navy and merchant marine were being built. The population of the US was over twice that of Germany and even including occupied lands in production, it is obvious that the industrialization of the US could and did outstrip the capabilities of Germany and its holdings. Please bear in mind that I am not denigrating the monumental contributions of our Allies. Far from it. Their sacrifices were greater in proportion to their size than the US and the UK continued to pay for the war for decades to come.

Like the Japanese did and they had an existing competent naval air arm that out numbered the US fleet in 1941 in all categories except destroyers? The US simply out produced Japan in all respects while pursuing a German-first agenda. I see no reason that armaments production would not continue to rise after the defeat of Japan as they were clearly doing in 1945. All the while, Germany would be dealing with a Red Army menacing their Eastern border.

North Africa was a side-show at best to Germany. All you Eighth Army fans don’t crucify me. In terms of men and arms involved, it was a side show and the parsimonious numbers of troops sent there by all powers, when compared to other theaters, underscores this.
    If anything, the loss of the British Isles would increase the strain of sub use because no longer could they seek the enemy close to home. Distances traveled would have to increase to find a target. Even in Germany’s good times in 1939-40 against the British, U-boat loses were about 15% of the fleet monthly. Production of new U-boats lagged behind and it got steadily worse as the war wore on. It was either tanks or ships and Hitler was a landlubber.

As were the Japanese from mid-1942 on. Germany was not self-sufficient. It eventually would have to import. Little things such as nickel, so important in harden steel production, lagged well behind needs because large amounts had to be imported. Eventually Germany would have to ‘bring the war’ in one way or another to the US to satisfy their needs for imports such as these.

German pilot losses on the eastern front were roughly the same as lost defending the airspace over Germany.

And they lost them a high rate too. On the Eastern Front, about a quarter of aircraft lost were the result of non-combat accidents. The numbers weren’t much different in the West.

Like what happened in 1942 in the MTO, 1944 in the ETO and all over the Pacific?
    I am quite certain that they US and Canada (yes I have no doubt they would still be in the war, with the British government-in-exile also there) would not attempt a cross-ocean landing until such time as full control of the Atlantic had occurred. And I have no doubts that the US Navy could make this happen, just as they did against an established maritime power such as Japan. Operation Olympic called for 15 divisions in Nov 1945. I believe that the US Navy could handle landing troops when and where-ever chosen and resupply them. After they were ashore, it would be up to the army to make this good, and that is another discussion. This one is about the Navy’s ability to get them there.

You apparently are assuming that Germany would exist in a vacuum, but they would still be at war with Uncle Joe. "Massing aircraft" was problematic for the Germans. They constantly had had difficulties providing for west front aircraft because of losses in the east.
    If their ships stay in harbor, they would be sunk in harbor. If they venture out for battle, they will be sunk in battle. German aircraft would not be fighting a defensive battle against formation-bound bombers. They would have to carry an offensive fight to US fleets and the US Navy showed many times over how effective it is in defending itself, even in the face of an enemy willing to sacrifice pilots in a one-way mission.

When trying to take possession of Europe, we have no way of knowing what the best options of the US military and its allies would be in the absence of the able and necessary assistance of Great Britain as a springboard. I’m not addressing the ground operational requirements of the fictitious war. I am, however, addressing your comments on the apparent abilities of German Navy in commanding their new-found battleships and the obvious flaw in thinking that 24 battleships would any way provide more than large targets, unless they stay harbor-bound and that option is an iffy propositon. Either way, they are ineffectual.

A-58 likes this.
  3. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

Ok, I know the Americans had the best production records for ww2. But building the most doesnt mean they would be able to go and just travel across the Atlantic, Attack the German ships and go back without a hassle, You are know giving the Americans too much credit.

U.S armaments production would rise after the defeat of Japan, Thats if Japans defeat does occur, If im not mistaken there was so much the Japanese and Germans could have traded to make a difference but not like they had any effective means of trading, But with Britian out the way they have the Suez canal which means they can trade, Send war ships to each other for lending and even troops.

Yes NA was a sideshow but it still used up oil that could have been used else where, And where do you get the idea the U-boats would go out deep in the ocean like towards the U.S coast to sink some ships, They only ever went out deep to prevent supplies reaching the Russians and the British. But Britian out the way there need to go out deep no longer is there.
    Oh and with NA under there control is it not possible that they could move into the Middle East and start setting up facilties to remove oil from the ground and refine it, Oil shortage is fixed then.

And the Eastern front losses of pilots conserne this how? There would be thousands of pilots that could have been givin plentty of training over the years by the more experienced pilots.

And compared to the West those aircraft losses in the East werent that much,

And with the ability to land 15 divisions ment time to prepare, But most importantly the U.S did not just build up 15 divisions at home and go off for an attack, They built them up close to the Enemy couse that was the only way they could transport so many so far, Still giving the US too much credit. So attacking with 15 divisions across the Atlantis is out of the question, Oh and by that time the Japanese had no army, airforce or navy to speak of yet the Germans would have had time to prepare and build up all of these.

There losses in East were not as bad as losses in the West, And know you are automatically saying hte Germans could not win a battle against the US. There fighters would be on the defensive against incomming US bombers......Well i delt that becouse why would the US send so many bombers on a possible one way mission, They would have to travel along way, With possible bad weather, Oh and so far to travel also means greater chance of going off on course. And if they did make it there it only takes a few trained pilots to knock out so many bombers that are being flown by crews that are dead tired. Oh and if the Kriegsmarine stays in Harbour or goes out it is doomed, That sounds to me like you have already picked your side and are unwilling to lisson to reason, Makes the whole point of my post pointless but oh well, ill go on anyway. The Kriegsmarine would be made up of plentty of ships so they can defently do some damage, Then add all of those subs that could attack those transports and then add those Luftwaffe aircraft so many problems for the allies to worry about, It may not work but it also may work we dont know. Oh and that US navy that is so used to air attacks was only used to Japanese Zeros etc adn there tactics. Germans planes are alot different so are there tactics.

You are know assuming that the Kriegsmarine fielding so many ships would only be a large target for the US airforce, But wouldnt the US fleet be an even bigger target for the Germans.

4. Slipdigit

This thread has gone far beyond what the initial posting by me was intended to be, which was to comment on your suggestion that Germany would see great benefit from the acquisition of foreign-built surface ships. My point was that 24 battleships would be little more than targets or a fleet in being. They would never be able to project power in the manner they did 25 years before.

Give me one example of where battleship(s) or other surface combat ships came out ahead when confronting, or were confronted by, carriers and their aircraft.

All shipping in bound from the Suez Canal to Japan would still have to transit the same shipping lanes so ravaged by the US sub fleet in the real war. I see no reason that the Germans would be able to protect shipping any better than the Japanese.
    Because they did. Look at any map showing shipping losses in the Gulf of Mexico due to U-boats. Those losses weren’t ships in route to supply aid to GB or Russia.
    Oil was not discovered in Saudi Arabia until 1938 and production did not start until well after the war. Do you have any idea how long it takes to get an oil field into production? Also, transportation of the oil will have to be provided for. Germany was not known for its extensive tanker fleet. Tankers and/or pipelines would have to built, and that would take years. Ground transport just wouldn’t cut it.
    Four of the six Luftflottes committed in 1942 were directed at the Eastern Front and in 1944, it was 4 of 7, with the Eastern Front luftflottes being far and away larger than other luftflottes, except for the Luftflotte 3 in France and Low Countries. It was roughly the same size as each of the Eastern luftflottes. The ration of losses would follow a similar pattern. I could keep digging and get you numbers if you can provide me a reference for this:
    +++
    The US planned to stage troops for Operation Olympic on Okinawa and points further south. How far it from Okinawa to Japan? How far is from North America to Greenland, then Greenland to Iceland, then Iceland to GB or the Coast of Norway? The answer to all is 500-700 miles. This is the plan propesed by others, so I used it for demonstration. There are many islands off the coast of Norway, Africa and Portugal (Azores, Canary(yes I know it is Spanish), Faroe, Madeira, Cape Verde Islands) that could function as staging points and were better than some were used by the Navy in the Pacific.
    Japan had no useful navy and ship-bound air force to speak of by late 1943. The army was locked in the struggle against China and they didn’t have the shipping anyway, to get them back to Japan, much less to forward areas.

Where were a large number of battleships, if not a majority (I’ll have to look that one up) when they were lost in WWII? In harbor. And what was the instrument used to sink these ships? Aircraft.
    They will have to get close enough to inflict damage. The surface ships never would be able to. See any number of examples in the Pacific War.
    If the Germans are going to initiate attacks and inflict significant damage, they are going to need greater range than their aircraft could provide. The Hellcat’s range was almost twice that of both the FW190 and Me109. And the Bearcat was coming on the scene in Feb 1945 with even better range, speed etc. Any attacking bomber or torpedo plane will need air cover. Somebody correct me if wrong, but I don’t think the Germans had adequate, nimble airplane that could deliver a torpedo to a warship.
    I’m not assuming anything of the sort about the US [Army] Air Force. I have been discussing the US Navy. The USAAF never demonstrated any great prowess in successfully attacking warships. It wasn’t really their mission. It was the US Navy’s and after 1943, they showed time again that they could adequately defend themselves in the absence of an enemy intent on crashing their aircraft into the ship. Even then, considering the thousands of planes dispatched to that end, the number of kamikaze strikes was small.

I’ve tried to provide data to back up my rebuttals to your opinions. I was hoping you would do likewise.

You can reply if you like, I’m moving on to other subjects. I have enjoyed the discussion, although I have had some problems understanding what you are trying to say. This isn’t a complaint, your English is much better than my ability to speak your language.:D

5. Roddoss72

Roddoss72 Member

Correct, all American invasion forces in Operation Torch came from the US.

6. Amrit

Amrit Member

No it isn't.

Just to quote from one of many sources:

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2Bard-c2-2.html

and the make up of each landing force:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Torch

7. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

I've actually faced this problem before, These exact events happened to me in a Hearts of Iron game long ago ;)

You all are forgetting a few key pieces of land that I feel would have been critical given such a war situation.

1) Greenland - was already used as a staging area for flights across the atlantic, I dont see why it could not be a staging area for 3 marine divisions, which should have been sufficient to take Iceland.

2) The Azores - If Europe has already fallen, why the hell not try to take these islands?

3) An Island Hopping campaign: Greenland > Iceland > Britain > (throw Ireland in there, Ireland would be very pro american)

The big question would be whether or not the british people would resist german occupation. (See the film 'It Happened Here')

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

If find this what-ifs quite… ridiculous. I simply don’t know, in the first place, what kind of miracle should have happened for Germany to actually defeat and occupy Great Britain…

Now, if this happened in 1940 or 1941, the amount of extra troops available for the Eastern Front would have been very small. Since then there existed no real threat of an Allied invasion, I can guess that the total amount of divisions fielded in Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, France and North Africa with the purpose of defending the coast line against an amphibious attack wouldn’t have been of more than 20 full divisions (somewhat between 300.000 and 400.000 men). But of course, Great Britain should have been occupied as well, which recquired maybe half of the previous figure. Even the Luftwaffe would have had to field an even larger number of aircraft than it deployed in Germany (200), the Mediterranean (370), the North Sea and Western Europe (780) in order to guard and patrol the Atlantic. The small German fleet, whose only use in the Eastern Front was of artillery support at the Leningrad front, would have been forced to protect the biggest island of the Atlantic…

Iceland, I think, is almost out of the way… As T. A. has put it, the Germans negligible amphibious capability (Norway, by example, took almost half of the German surface fleet) doesn’t throw many lights at such operations.

Now, I think the British and Commonwealth reaction, in case of this miraculous defeat of Britain, would have been to continue fighting, no matter what. That makes possible that Iceland could have been defended and, almost surely, the whole British fleet would have fled to Dominion ports or scuttled.

It is unreasonable! The Germans did not confiscate almost any French major vessel. The main French battle fleet was scuttled when Vichy was occupied in 1942. And the same happened to the Italian fleet in 1943. Taking into account that the very Germans blew their own defeated ships at Scapa Flow in 1919, why would the British had acted different from French, Germans or Italians?

And what about the gigantic and successful supply network the US did build in the Pacific Ocean, even if its distances are far greater than in the Atlantic and even if the American logistic train didn’t have most of the country’s resources at its disposal, since it was a 'secondary' theatre?

And this brings us to the initial point of this thread… more diversion of badly-needed resources from the eastern front… :rolleyes:

I differ. It did have a great tactical impact. During the whole war, the Allies always knew better what to hit and what they were facing. In the other hand, you can see how meaningful it was for the Germans, during the Battle of Britain, to bomb airfields which had nothing to do with fighter command; or in the east, when they fought using XIX century maps, thinking they were fighting a Red Army 1/3 of its real size, always ignoring where, when and how strongly the Soviets were going to attack them. No doubt why the Maskírovka almost always worked with the Germans, besides the fact it was often very well executed: Germany had a lousy intelligence system, at all levels.

And all these technicians, couldn’t they all have fled Great Britain, to Canada or the US and remain fighting the Germans?

What bloody naval support? Half the German fleet went to the bottom of the sea during the Norwegian operation. And I’m also thinking that the weather of the North Atlantic might have been a major factor for airborne operations… as well as the British fleet, which I won't assume would have capitulated just like that.

Why? The ‘Manhattan Project’ was started with the sole idea of beating Germany…

Wrong. The vast majority of German submarines were of medium size. US submarines, instead, were heavy, long-range, which were very successfully used in the much larger Pacific Ocean.

You’re severely under-estimating the huge losses the Luftwaffe suffered in the east from 1941-1944, out of constant and merciless attrition over a frontline of 4.200 km (the losses caused by ground fire and weather conditions might have no parallel in other theatres). The toll catastrophic air bridges, endless air-ground missions, bombing and fierce dogfights took on German crews and production was fatal. The German bomber and transport wings met their tomb in the east. And let’s not forget how many specialised ground crews were also wiped out in the middle of Soviet offensives.

No… the resources released from North Africa, France or Norway by the end of hostilities with the British would have now to be used in the occupation and defense of Great Britain and maybe actions against Iceland. In any case, the extra amount of resources that would have been transferred to the eastern front in 1941-1942 would have been insufficient to cope with the demands of the Russian meat grinder.

And how were they going to transport the oil? With what ships? With what pipelines?

Would they? All of a sudden, the ultra-conservative German admirals were going to switch their strategic thinking, send U-boats and battleships to hell, in order to rescue the already-dropped idea of the Graf Zeppelin?

But the British were. And again, I can think that it was very likely that the Royal Navy would have been almost intact and still fighting Germany based on Dominion or American ports.

Are you kidding? The US reached like half of its potential military power in 1945, and by then it had built the largest combat fleet in the History of the world… It was ready to launch X, Y and Z-Days, which would have made D-Day look like a child’s game.

The air attacks on the oil fields took place when the tide had already changed in the east. The Red Air Force might not have been able to bombard those oil fields, but I guess the Red Army would have, as it did, occupied them sooner or later, killing, capturing and wounding several thousands Krauts in the process. ;)

Not if they had been thrown into the Russian cauldron…

Now, this one did get me! This sounds like the Germans were the masters of combined-service operations!

As ready as they were in D-Day, with Mongolian Soviet POWs with WWI rifles, manning concrete bunkers, and Panzer division which relied on horse transport for food? :D

OK. That’s enough. Not only that’s a huge hindsight absurd supposition, but also a show of both great ignorance about the war in the east and disrespect for the USSR’s contribution to victory in Europe. Besides, there’s no argument there, only empty-based conjectures!

Exactly! Nowhere near as effective or adequate as those of an old-experienced naval power such as Japan! ;)

I can see a reason… the ill-performance of German destroyers against surface ships, as in Norway. Also, there’s to be noticed that the number and quality of German destroyers compared to Japan’s was, and again I’ll use the word, laughable!

And I have to confess… I’ve laughed a bit in this thread. Thanks for that! :D

9. Ironcross

Ironcross Dishonorably Discharged

There is so much to learn. I feel like an idiot.

10. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Why do you say that? It's a matter of clearing your mind of acquired wisdom, prejucice and propaganda and taking a square look at facts. That's what I think Friedrich and Jeff are doing. ;)

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

One "new idea" on the subject of invading Britain I learned from Mr Churchill himself from a document. He himself feared ( post-war thought though ) that the Germans, after Dunkirk, would keep the fighting going on in France and in the mean while would gather troops for the invasion. Churchill himself would be forced to send new troops and planes to fight the battle in France and this might leave Britain more vulnerable for an invasion.

12. Slipdigit

'Preciate the words of encouragement, Za.

13. Ironcross

Ironcross Dishonorably Discharged

Thanks, my friend.