Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hyperwar blocked for malware?

Discussion in 'HyperWar GHQ' started by jimmytwohand, Dec 12, 2013.

1. jimmytwohand

jimmytwohand New Member

Is anyone else getting a malware warning for the hyperwar site? Just seems to have started being blocked by my browser today. I'm guessing it's a false positive but.....

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Yes, I was blocked by Google some hours ago. AFAIK, It does not sound like a false positive

What happened when Google visited this site?
    Of the 396 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 104 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2013-12-11, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2013-12-11.
    Malicious software includes 4 trojan(s), 1 worm(s).
    Malicious software is hosted on 2 domain(s), including yestblock.com/, operaget.pp.ua/.
    1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including operaget.pp.ua/.
    This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS36850 (UNC-CH).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, ibiblio.org appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 7 site(s) including unc.edu/, gpgpu.com/, lexisweb.com/.

Has this site hosted malware?

Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 0 domain(s), including .

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.ibiblio.org/&hl=en

3. Otto

Otto GröFaZ Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I know first hand how difficult a spot that is. Hopefully it gets sorted quickly.

4. jimmytwohand

jimmytwohand New Member

Thanks for getting back to me, that's a real shame. There is so much good stuff over there. Ill add to the sentiment of hoping it is sorted soon. :(

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I was also blocked. Does anyone know if Opana Pointer is still active?

6. Takao

Takao Ace

November 3rd was the last time he posted on AHF.

7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I left a message on the Hyperwar message board for Larry. He hasn't posted for quite a while there and the site doesn't look as if it has had any new contributions. I transcribed a document for him last Spring and haven't heard from him since then. Here's hoping he is not having any medical problems.

8. Takao

Takao Ace

FYI.

Ibiblio is now UNBLOCKED!

Otto likes this.
  9. jimmytwohand

jimmytwohand New Member

WooHoo! Thanks to everyone who helped with that!

10. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

I dropped in Hyperwar today, and did NOT get any Malware Warnings. Mac Os 10.6.8 using both Chrome and Firefox.
    Maybe it is fixed now? HUGE job, as Otto will attest to. Might explain why he has been so quiet.
    It too Otto MONTHS to sort out our issues here, then he HAD to move us to Invision Power due to its higher security levels. Another HUGE job, still far from completed.
    (aka none of our old galleries have moved onto here yet... just to mention one of many items still on his to do list.)

Opana Pointer, a.k.a. Larry Jewell [​IMG] ? http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/ is still pretty active over on http://ww2talk.com/
    He is now in charge of the Hyperwar site, after the passing away of Patrick Clancey.

We have lost many active expert posters here.
    The malware drove many away, and the lack of posts over here since then vs the plethora at http://ww2talk.com/ means we lose more and more to more stimulating forum boards.

Its up to "us" to help keep this board very alive and interesting... or this marvelous resource is ± going to go the way of the dodo birds.
    - thus my inordinate level of activity here over the past few weeks.

11. jimmytwohand

jimmytwohand New Member

Embarassingly i was signing up for "the other place" as you posted. Not falling into the expert or interesting category made me feel a little better though. ;)
    I'll probably end up poking about both.

12. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

It's really not necessary to keep telling people you once had the flu but you're all right now - they can see that for themselves. Nor is it correct or fair to say that the posts aren't as interesting or challenging as Talk's. This place has its own unique style - which is why I look in here too rather than limiting myself to the other place.

We'd surely all agree the forum software change was for the better longterm. And many stayed around too.

Moving on and just getting on with it is a far more positive thing to do than repeatedly posting as you do about the past.

4jonboy likes this.
  13. LRusso216

I kind of agree with both of these comments. While I admit that the threads have lost some of their luster, I see no reason to abandon this site. Talk is much more thorough, but most of it means little to us in the States. Too much of it has a more Commonwealth bent that does not do much for me. Meanwhile, I'll keep posting here.

14. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Exactly my "point." (Better stated.) I could not agree with you both more. [​IMG]

15. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

Well, it is billed as a WW2 forum with a Commonwealth bent and this place is ... decidedly not. Vive la difference! for making it interesting to look at from the other side of the pond.

Fred, I just think that if you want to cheerlead then you really need to come up with a better chant. ;)

16. LRusso216

I understand the Commonwealth interest. I'm registered there but haven't found it my cup of tea (pun intended). I'm glad there is a different take on events. I hope more people post here, and there does seem to be a slight uptick in the kinds of postings that require some thought. I look forward to more.

17. scipio

scipio Member

Is it me or have we lost all our German and Russian friends?