Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I am a little confused with this one

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Ken The Kanuck, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

We have an popular chef who cooks east Indian food going overseas to cook the troops curry.

Now having been overseas I can tell you that they have good curry just about everywhere in the world, especially in the east.

You would think at Christmas some traditional food/treats from home would be the order of the day if you are stationed overseas.

Don't get me wrong I tip my hat to these folks doing what they are doing for the troops and as a matter of fact I love curry and east Indian food.

But still it seems a little screwy at Christmas time, what do you think?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/chef-vij-hmcs-charlottetown-1.3904460

KTK

2. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

Somebody else doing the cooking and the dishes, I've not got a problem with that at all ha ha.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'd start a bloody Revolution if I hadn't at least a ten course meal with four types of different wines and the best Champagne. Christmas meals are sacred. You don't serve curry for Chrsitmas (or any other daily meals) . You ought to keehaul your cook. I would .
    We even print our souvenir menus for this vey special dinner and evey course is piece of art that pleases all our senses. You'd almost don't dare touch it and if you associate the right ingredients with the right drinks then it's like a taste of paradise (which lastes for a couple of hours by the way).
    I will post pictures and the menu for you on the 25th .

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

35C degrees and 90% humidity doesn't lend itself to a traditional Christmas meal... I'm talking Darwin. Prawns are big for Christmas here...point is, there shouldn't be a traditional 'European' Christmas everywhere, that's just plain silly...source local produce and just eat what you love.

McCabe and Owen like this.
  5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Prawns are a good start indeed. Why not kangaroo or emu?

6. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Home made Lasagna was a favorite for Christmas in my parents home growing up. Thanksgiving rated a roast turkey and spiral honey ham mix.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Lasagna sounds awesome,,.and just as filling...you can eat kangaroo, leanest meat out there, needs a good marinate though, cooked properly it'll melt in your mouth...Emu though? Emus are too cool to eat...bit like eating the Bald Eagle...doable, but who would?

8. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Wouldn't be the first time I've had Chicken curry for Christmas dinner!

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Puts me in mind of an old movie set in Australia. I don't recall the name of the movie, but the old patriarch of the family had a big oak yule log shipped in from England for Christmas and made everyone dress for dinner and sit there sipping sherry in the stifling heat while it burned. Because "tradition."

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yup...we did that sh&t for ages...made us feel still in touch i suppose. But the 50s and 60s we changed...we even have six white boomers (male kangaroos) as a Christmas carol now...too multicultural to tell people what to eat anymore...just get it into ya!