Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I think white people got a little scared and voted...

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Ben Dover, Nov 10, 2016.

1. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Since his post was about voting, it seems you kind of did.

As for his relative, I do not have enough information to judge his actions, though I am willing to accept at face value his own opinion as being valid at least to him. Your opinion on the man in question is equally valid to you as well. Many actors in WW II have controversial aspects to their nature, Curtis LeMay, 'Bomber' Harris, MacArthur etc, but this is a discussion for another thread. Lets try to keep this one on topic lest Otto follows though on his warning.

2. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Nope. I didn't. Please re-read my post. I specifically quoted the portion I was responding to, nothing on voting. Again thanks.

After going through this thread and seeing all the wild directions it has taken, now you want to keep it on topic? Isn't this the stump after all?

Finally, does wolley need you to defend him? Let him put his big boy pants and defend himself if he wishes.

3. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Back on topic as ordered.
    Still waiting for a response about what was "frightening" about an article that simply listed exit poll data.

4. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

I suspect that my definition of terrorist and patriot is broader than yours. A discussion better suited to have over a beer rather than over the internet.
    As for the statistics, I think I admitted that the only thing I came away with when I flunked STAT 101 was skepticism.

Back on the topic of who's voting, I'm sensing that Gen Z will increase their participation in voting in this election cycle and go Blue. Their economic future sucks and they are generally less bigoted than the older population. In my humble opinion.

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

While I live in America, I'm not an American and do not participate in voting, so maybe this is more evident to me than others. This effortless assumption on your part that one party is the party of bigotry is incredibly common from the left. It's annoying, and in my experience wrong. No party has a monopoly on bigotry. Please stop it.

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

pass on this one

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Otto likes this.
  7. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Well, as they say YVMV. I'm OK with that and there was a time when that was more acceptable.

8. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I'm sure that means something, but what I have no idea.

Back to the subject at hand, I have long felt there were two kinds of voter (three if you count those who never vote). Those who vote in every election regardless of who is on the ballot, often for the same party year after year, and those that only only show up every few election cycles. This happened in 1980 for Reagan and again in 2008-12 for Obama. In 1980 I felt ans suspect it was in response to the Nixon/Ford/Carter era. In 2008-12 I believe many people of color saw in Obama someone who looked and sounded like them, bringing out the casual voter as it did in 1980.

2020 is feeling like this again if the current polls on the right and left are accurate. People of color seem very motivated this time, especially on police procedure issues. There is 5 months to the election of course and polls can change certainly, but the 2017 special elections and 2018 Congressional elections have been brutal to the Republican party. and many primaries indicate a upswell in interest in Democratic candidates. Considering that Covid 19 is still with us, unemployment likely will remain above 10% for at least the remainder of the year and the economy has been downgraded again, many Republican incumbents should be concerned this cycle

9. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Your View May Vary is a concession that having expressed my opinion, I am open to the reality that you may have a different view from different. life experiences.

The way things are, my plan to do some voter registration in nursing homes is dead. 18 year olds can vote now. I couldn't in 68. That's my target.

10. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

I was equally confused. I've heard of YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), but not your version. Googling "YVMV" or "Your View May Vary" produce no results in google, which is an impressive feat in itself. You expected others to understand an acronym you invented. :D

As for voting, more than any other demographic, black people generally vote as a block, but they have the lowest turnout. I presume the massive emphasis on policing will activate more of them to actually go to the polls this time.

Talk about two awful candidates. We have a senile moron who hasn't had a press conference in months and can't string two words together coherently, vs an egotistical moron who cannot go 24 hours without a press conference.