Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I was captured at Orscholz,Germany Jan 1945

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by alice.herndon, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I found who I thought was this member in his hometown and left a phone message that was never returned.

2. ginge10216

ginge10216 recruit

Yes my dad, herndon inge jr, was the same one his lifelong friend Capt Howard Rives spoke of. I will ask him if he remembers sergeant anthony palma. At 92 he is hanging on and at times has great recollection of the old days. You might find his web site interesting: www.herndoningejr.com , he has an artilce about when the two of us retraced his battle and capture and found the bunker he was captured in at orscholz: "Battlefield Revisited". I also saw mentioned Louis Karamon and Phillip Reed, machine gunner, I'll ask him about them also.

3. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Just the least bit of what Mr. Herndon is able to post is of great value to all of us on this forum....the most boring of details may be a candle light that leads us to more knowledge so I want Mr. Herndon Inge and his son to know we honor his father's service and will cherish what he tells us directly about his service to this country through what he suffered and contributed in those trying times. For all of us please keep posting as you can....we will be watching for those posts. Thank you both for your service and preserving the story.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This post was started 3 years ago now and I' m afraid Mr Herndon has not returned here since 2009 . I hope all is well with him .

5. deblmw

deblmw New Member

6. deblmw

deblmw New Member

That's all I have of my great uncle Edward "Bill" Lytle. He was in Company B and died March 2, 1945. This is when they moved his remains from a cemetery in France back home to Florida where he is in St Augustine National Cemetery.
    I read the articles above and the dates are close but not exact..March 2 would mean that he lived through the attack or was killed in captivity?

7. Natman

Natman Member

Welcome to the forums, deblmw. I'll assume you have information indicating your great uncle was wounded and/or captured during the fighting at Orscholz? Or, he could have been wounded, then captured and died in captivity.

Have you read the 94th ID history book? I was unable to find any reference to a history of the 302nd but neither the 94th book, or if there is one on the 302nd, is likely to mention individual men's names during combat actions. The units are just too large. Have you checked with other family members to see if someone knows more about the story or maybe has more paperwork? I checked Ancestry and there isn't anything more useful than what you've posted.

I would suggest you consider hiring a researcher to collect the relevant Morning Reports regarding Bill. They should tell you if he was wounded/captured and will have dates for each event. Morning reports are at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Several of us on the forum have used a researcher who specializes in that facility and have been satisfied with his work. Let us know if you're interested in this route and we can provide more details. You can get an estimate of cost and make your decision then.

Another possible route would be to contact the National Archives and look into getting copies of the 302nd's unit records. You can request an "Index to the Records" which will list everything they have available. Last I heard, reproduction is 80 cents/page.

Steve