Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

If France and Britain never delcared war on Germany for attacking Poland, what would have been Germa

Discussion in 'Alternate History' started by ww2fan, Oct 6, 2011.

1. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

Very simple : because the Czechs did not fight back and the Poles resisted : if the Czechs did not fight against the German invasion, why should B + F do ? Why should a violation of an agreement mean war ? Agreements mostly are violated ,agreements are pieces of paper.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Odd way of looking at it...France & Britain upheld their agreements with Poland and it was war, conversely, if they had violated those agreements, it would have meant peace.

The pen is mightier than the sword.

3. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Do you consider France in the "West"? I ask because Hitler very much wanted revenge on France for WWI and symbolically signed Frances surrender in the same rail cart in which Germany signed her surrender 25 years earlier.

4. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

Wrong : war was caused because Poland did not accept Hitler's demands . If Poland had accepted Hitler's demands (which were a violation of agreemenrs) there would be no war .

Before WWI there were countless violations of agreements,and Britain and France did not declare war . There were also several wars of agressiions and B+ F did not intervene .

After WWII things changed : violations of agreements still were not causing war, but wars of agression resulted in the intervention of F + B .

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Anyone else feel dizzy?

6. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Dude! I'm like so like ready to hurl! There is just like so waay too much stupid going on. I'm just like getting some gnarly revisionist vibes here. It's starting to look like the IHR has taken control of my set dude!

7. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Well-Known Member

But Germany acted aggressively towards Poland right off the bat. They marched into the rest of Czechoslovakia but didn't fight. They came in shooting, even staging a false flag operation as the excuse for aggression.

Hitler clearly violated the Munich agreement and they did nothing.

There is a book which contains a conversation between a Swedish diplomat and Hitler from the middle of 1939, and it more of less went like this... Hitler stated to the Swedish diplomat that all of his intentions were towards the East, and if Britain and France were too dumb too see that, then so be it.

8. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

What swedish diplomat ?

9. Takao

Takao Ace

Johan Birger Essen Dahlerus

10. green slime

green slime Member

11. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

The Dahlerus mission has been much exaggerated (by Dahlerus of course) after the war : Dahlerus was not a diplomat but a private person and there is no proof for the claim of Dahlerus that Hitler would have told him what Dahlerus said . The claims of Dahlerus are on the same level as the stories of Rauschning and Burckhardt:all of three were insignificant personages who later attributed themselves an importance they never had : Hitler knew very well that everything he told Rauschning, Burckhardt and Dahlerus would be told to London and that London would tell it to Moscow : thus why should he say to London that his pact with Moscow was only cheating, knowing that Moscow would hear of it the same day ?

12. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

There was a British ambassador in Berlin , there was a German ambassador in London, thus why would Hitler use the services of a foreigner,a totally unknown person,and there is no proof that Dahlerus even did meet Hitler .

13. GunSlinger86

The meeting I was referring to was with Carl Buckhardt, a representative of the League of Nations. Not Swedish, I apologize.

14. GunSlinger86

It was from August 11, 1939.

15. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

Burckhardt was the High Commissioner of the League for Danzig, when Danzig declared itself a part of Germany, he was out of job and left for Switserland .

16. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

And on 13 augustus burckhardt met British and French diplomats and told them everything of his meeting with Hitler, thus why would Hitler tell Burckhardt that he was cheating the Soviets ?

17. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

Stalin probably would not have started the transition of his army the way he did and would have been more likely to believe reports of an invasion

18. GunSlinger86

All I did was cite where I got that from, I will put the link on here.

19. GunSlinger86

20. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Nation's using non-conventional or unofficial diplomatic contacts has been common practice for a long time, though what Hitler said, how he said it and in what context is the issue.