Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Individual Deceased Personnel File

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by kerrd5, Sep 18, 2011.

1. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

I sent a request last November for an IDPF involving an active investigation we were communicating with DPMO/JPAC about, as well as the Past Conflicts Repatriation folks. I received the standard reply within a few days and received the IDPF in a couple of weeks - but only because they had pulled and scanned it for their own use in the investigation. I sent a subsequent request for IDPFs not related to that investigation in December and haven't received even an acknowledgement of receipt.

2. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

It is pleasing to me to see Clementine and others work so hard at searching for the stories of our veterans who have served so that they may not be forgotten and that their sacrifices will be appreciated for all of time.

3. buk2112

buk2112 Member

I made a request for an IDPF in JAN 2013 and received an acknowledgement email about a month later. It wasn't until NOV that I was emailed with instructions and a one time only password for downloading the file. I made another request in DEC 2013 and have never gotten any acknowledgement at all. I sent a polite message JUN 10th asking if my request had been received and so far no reply to that either. I think I'm doing my best to be patient, but it is nonsense to get no response at all from them.

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Well, at least I'm not alone in this. I can understand if they are swamped with requests or have insufficient staff or both. However, there is such a thing as auto-reply with emails. Ah, well. I suppose I'll have to presume they did receive my request an hope for the best.

5. sllily

sllily New Member

I'm looking for any info on my great uncle, Henry J. Tischler. He was in Company H of the 180 Infantry Regiment, and was KIA September 8, 1944 in France. His service # is 37477293.

6. ggent001

ggent001 Member

Just a quick note on the WWII I.D.P.F.'s: The WWII I.D.P.F.’s for men with last names A-L are no longer at Fort Knox. These records have been transferred to the National Archives and can be accessed much faster than before. The WWII I.D.P.F.’s for men with last names A-L were previously being examined by an agency tasked with locating the remains of missing Army and Air Corps veterans. Now that their work is completed, the WWII I.D.P.F.’s have been transferred to the National Archives and are now accessible to the public without the frustrating year-long wait. I recommend using a reputable research company to access your veteran’s WWII I.D.P.F. since you will be able to get your veteran’s I.D.P.F. within days rather than months, and you will also be able to have digital scans of the original paperwork in the I.D.P.F. (rather than photocopies you will received from the archives). If you are interested in viewing examples of WWII I.D.P.F.’s to gain a better idea of what kinds of paperwork are commonly found in the file you can view a number of examples here: http://www.goldenarrowresearch.com/order-an-individual-deceased-personnel-file.php

Take care,
    Geoff

sllily likes this.
  7. TD-Tommy776

I'm not sure how I missed your post 9 months ago, but better late than never. You may want to download the history of the 180th Infantry Regiment from the Bangor Library website. It should tell you where Company H (or at least the 2nd Battalion) was and what they were doing on 8 Sep 1944. Most regimental histories have a listing of those killed during the war, so his name will likely appear there at the very least.

sllily likes this.
  8. TD-Tommy776

Thank you for the update, Geoff. As someone who has suffered through a couple of those "year-long waits", that's good news. It's also good for folks to know that there is a faster option than the National Archives for acquiring these files. I looked through a couple of the examples on your website and they are very similar to what I have received via the NARA in terms of content. Both are readable, but your scans are better in quality to be sure. Although, I'm sure for many the significantly shorter delivery time will be worth the very reasonable fee.

By the way, Geoff, feel free to add a link to your website in the signature line of your posts.

9. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

On 15 December 2018, I received my first IPPF in at least four years from USA HRC, Fort Knox.

It was mailed as a CD to me since their website for electronic transfer was/is down.

Although all IDPFs are now in the physical hands of NPRC, St. Louis, HRC informed me that email requests, under the FOIA, can still be submitted to them @ usarmy.knox.hrc.mbx.foia@mail.mil

If you want to avoid the wait, you should use Geoff, whom I highly recommend.

Dave

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  10. TD-Tommy776

A few days ago, I received an IDPF that I requested back in 2017!! They of course apologized for how long it took. :rolleyes: I also received a CD with the explanation that the Electronic Transfer website was down. I think I will also go through Geoff at Golden Arrow for any future IDPF requests. I would rather pay and get it in a couple weeks than wait well over a year to get a copy from the NPRC.

11. sllily

sllily New Member

Thank you! I found this, too, and it really helped. My uncle's name is in the KIA list, so it confirms his unit. Also, the man who returned a letter marked "deceased," and signed his name, was included in the book as well as his photo. This envelope was saved by Hank's sister. I sent a request to the National Personnel Records Center, and they had nothing. Said the records were probably destroyed in the 1973 fire. I purchased a reprint of "The Story of the 180th Infantry Regiment, " by George A. Fisher, hoping to find some info, but no luck there. I am guessing, based on the date of his death, that he was killed during the liberation of the town of Baume les Dames. The book is very dense, has no page numbers, but is in chronological order. It has tons of soldiers names and stories, and intersperses these with phrases giving a mother or fathers name and address.

12. USAAFson

USAAFson Member

It took six months, but they got back to me with a CD and all the records. This man was MIA when a hospital ship was bombed at Anzio and still, it is amazing the records that were kept, board findings of death, notices to the next of kin, and an inventory of his personal effects. Very touching.

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  13. TD-Tommy776

The most poignant part of an IDPF are the letters written by the next of kin. They really make an otherwise bureaucratic collection of reports and forms very personal and human.

14. TD-Tommy776

Here is an article which provides a nice, simple explanation of what an IDPF is and how to request them: World War II IDPF Records

LRusso216 likes this.