Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Infantry Assault badge

Discussion in 'German WWII Medals and Awards' started by Jim, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Following the stunning victories of the German Wehrmacht against Poland in September and October of 1939 Oberbefehlshaber des Heeres," Generaloberst von Brauchitsch, saw the necessity for a decoration in addition to the Iron Cross that recognised the bravery of the infantryman in combat.

Several designs for this new Infantry decoration were submitted for approval by the Berlin firm of C.E. Juncker. Selected was a concept consisting of a K98 rifle with fixed bayonet placed diagonally across an oval oak leaf wreath surmounted by the national eagle and swastika. The wreath's base has a vertical tie with five raised dots. Generaloberst von Brauchitsch signed the order authorizing the Infantry Assault badge on December 20,1939. Not until April, 1940 would the first award be presented. The initial order authorizing the Infantry Assault badge lacked one important detail - no criteria had been established for its awarding. In May of 1943, OKH finally made that determination. Requirements for receiving the Infantry Assault badge were specified as follows:

1. The Infantry Assault badge can be awarded to officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of infantry, motorized grenadier, and mountain regiments, which took part as of June 1, 1940 in a) three assault attacks, b) on the front line, c) attacking with weapon in hand, d) on three different days of battle.

Counterattacks are to be regarded as assault attacks as long as they led to close combat. Personal action against enemy vehicles with close-combat weapons also qualifies as an assault. A recognition of assault attacks for the period from January 1,1940 to May 31,1940 applies only to the members of earlier rifle companies of non-motorized infantry divisions and mountain companies. For medical personnel, clause lc is fulfilled when they, under the same conditions as the assaulting infantry, have cared for or protected wounded men in a close-combat situation.

2. Members of infantry and mountain regiments will be awarded the Infantry Assault badge in silver, and members of the motorized grenadier and reconnaissance regiments will be awarded the Infantry Assault badge in bronze. The regimental commander is authorized to award the badge.

A classic example of a hollow-back, silver-plated. Infantry Assault badge. Although this badge was manufactured early in the war, a white "frosting" finish was not applied. Both sides of this badge have exceptional silver plating. This is usually the case when bronze or brass is used during the striking process. Measurements are 61.5mm high. 46.5mm wide, and the weight is ,6oz.

[​IMG]

Upon authorization by the regimental commander, an award document was presented and an entry was made into the soldier's Soldbuch. The company commander usually presented the badge to the recipient at a company formation or, if the unit were in the field, it could simply be handed to him. Normally the badge was worn on the lower left breast pocket of the uniform but below and to the right of higher awards such as the Iron Cross First Class. Although the exact number of Infantry Assault badges awarded is not known, it is believed that several hundred thousand were presented.

2. History-buff1944

History-buff1944 New Member

via War44
    I wish Don and Stewie were members here so as to make sure im totally correct on what I post below. The IAB shown in fact is not a silver IAB and is not a (light) or Hollowback example. In fact, it is a (Heavy) or Solid-backed example of the Bronze IAB--which was awarded to Infantry units like the Panzergrenadiers who were the Infantry arm of Panzer Divisions.

When I can? ill get all 12 of mine posted for references. I have 8 Silver IABs and 4 of their Bronze Cousins. Tow of these are the mini stickpin versions one each of Bronze and Silver.

Nice thread Jim and sorry if I sound like a know-it-all--I really aint ;-))