Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Info on Nocton Hall Medical ward - Nocton, England?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by cd13, Oct 30, 2007.

1. cd13

cd13 Member

Hello all,

I'm guessing this is the right forum for this as it is an info request about a place that my grandfather, J. LaBruce Davis of Neeses, South Carolina, served at in World War II. I'm slowly being allowed to get some stuff out of my grandmother's stash of stuff she has kept since his death in 1991 - hopefully by searching for info about this medical ward, it can open up new avenues of research and discovery about my grandfather.

Can anyone shed some light on this place? I'm working on scanning in a few photos he took while there also. Would anyone like to see them? There is a number - 162 - written on the back of several photos, maybe that will help...

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

3. cd13

cd13 Member

Hmmm, thanks Von Poop! Some interesting stuff there, although it is sad that arsonists are some of the last to leave their "mark" on the place...

Here are some pictures from my grandfather's time there in 1944/1945. I apologize for the quality in advance. I put the thumbnails here as the pictures are quite large but show some good detail when examined up close. I hope you all enjoy these!

[​IMG]
    The back of this one reads: Main street down to wards at Nocton Hall, England 1944 & 45 (written by my grandfather)

[​IMG]
    The back reads: Operating room & table ... Nocton Hall England 1945.

[​IMG]
    The back of the top one reads: Dental Clinic of the 162 ... Hospital taken at Nocton England. 1945.

The bottom one reads: A Surgical ward while making rounds at the 162 ... Hospital. 1944-45.

[​IMG]
    A picture of my grandfather (he's at the top row, far right) and some friends at a Christian Services Center in Rockford, Illinois. The back reads: This is some of the men I prayed with at the center in Rockford. Something to remember.

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

So can we presume your grandfather was on the staff rather than a patient cd13?

5. Stevin

Stevin Ace

162 probably refers to "162nd General Hospital"

6. cd13

cd13 Member

That's correct, sorry about that. I know that he attained the rank of Sgt. but I'm not sure what specific duties he carried out while stationed there. More info will trickle on as I get my hands on more things of his.