Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Insignias, badges, medals and clasps

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by ilpotatoes@mac.com, Oct 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Photo #5:

Transportation Qualification Badge
    Mechanic
    Wheeled Vehicle Driver

Photo #6
    Enlisted Infantry Branch Collar/ lapel insignia "F" represents the company or troop

Photo #7
    Expert Infantry Badge.....he completed advanced infantry training and this badge is superceded by the combat infantry badge (i.e. the CIB replaces the EIB once awarded)

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Thanks for the fill-ins Brad. I kind of knew about the Transportation Qualification Award, but didn't look it up. I hadn't seen the lapel pin with the Company designation before. I also didn't realize that the Expert Infantry Badge was superseded by the CIB. I learn something new every day around here.

3. formerjughead

It is only superceded when worn. The EIB is still a common badge currently awarded.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Could a WW2 infantryman be awarded both? Would he be entitled to wear both? My father had a CIB, but I don't think he had the EIB.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I see you guys already did the job, that was fast!

The Virgin is a protection medal for Catholics

6. formerjughead

Yes........sort of

Expert Infantryman Badge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. irvine9393

irvine9393 Member

No, I passed on it. I didnt quite trust the seller due to another piece he was selling that was fake, plus he wanted too much money for it. I'll keep looking :)

8. f6fhellcat

f6fhellcat Member

I need some help figuring out these ribbons I bought:

[​IMG]

9. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

Below you'll find some pics of a smal frame filled with German ww2 medals and insignia .

Unmarked late EK1 (most propable a maker 100 -Rudolf Wachtler ) , unmarked well worn KvK1 , a frozen meat medal , spange with EK2 ww1 , the frontkampfer kreuz and 25yrs loyal service medal , 2 'pip's for 'schulterklappen', a miniature bar and the batons and button-ribbons.
    Wiederholings spange EK2 , a very rare goldenes partei abzeigen der NSDAP (deschler) für ausländer in 14k (?) gold .
    ( No makersmark on the back , just the number wich is in the 85.000 range - but the name of it's previous Austrian SS owner is already known to me .He was a very high Ahnenerbe member and a honourary Doctor at Munich's University ).

After WW2 --various membership pins of the Reichsbund :) for war invalides) , a golden honourary membership pin of 'Verband der Heimkehrer ' (Ex prisoners of war org) , another older pin VdH with barbed wire logo , and a tinnie from German wargraves organisation , Volksbund Deutscher Kriegsgräberfűrsorge .

All are originals , only one i have my doubs about is the wiederholungsspange eagle.
    This was not all from one person btw.
    enjoy ;)

View attachment 9607

View attachment 9608

View attachment 9609

I'll try to make some better pics in daylight later .

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nicely displayed Heinrich, I like the recalls best. People will always jump on medals

11. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

nice medals,and in a good display frame too,well done heinrich...

12. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

107thcav and Skipper like this.
  13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That must have bene quite an old Veteran. Two world wars, 25 years of service... Wow!

14. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

This is supposed to be complete series of Winterhilfe badges , also a very popular series .
    Theyre made of German bakelite , wich is more like modern plastic than the original Dutch bakelite . Very vulnerable stuff but good looking .
    Still looking for a nice old frame with a bend glass to display them in ..

enjoy ;)

I like the two round Celtic rouelles a lot, have a friend who found an original bronze rouelle in the ground in Limburg with his beepstick . Theyre on the bottom row at the left .
    (Rouelles are a sort of ancient coins from before Roman times ..)

View attachment 9616

View attachment 9617

View attachment 9618

15. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

Another WHW series supposed to be complete , shields of our Germanic ancestors.

In ww2 germans were very into a germanic proof of origin to justify cultural supremacy . Most known example will be the movie 7 years in Tibet , no doubt most of you will have seen .Or raiders of the lost arc ,wich was made after Otto Rahn .

Hitler send his archeologists all over the world trying to find traces of an Arian culture and several finds were made in small miniatures as winterhilfe items ..
    Well known are also the ancient knives series and the ancient battle axes in miniature .. suppose historically these are very interesting series to collect as there's a whole fascinating story behind every single item .

These shields are made of buntmetall and all got a small gem as an extra ..

enjoy :p

View attachment 9619

View attachment 9620

16. 107thcav

107thcav Member

Very nice display of your collection. The Nazi party emblem in the middle. I have seen some that are two seperate pieces, with the shield being one and the gold wreath the other. Is yours like that. Nice collection.

17. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

Hi Cav ..
    The GPA's are made as one piece , but all enamel is separately baked on .
    Some also have a hole in the back too for letting out gasses that appear when he enamel is baked on .
    There is a website that shows the differences but couldn't find it that fast.

There are only two makers , Deschler and Sohne and the other is Joseph Fuess.
    Mine is a Deschler although it doesnt show any markings besides the partynumber .
    Normally theyre maker marked on the pinholder and there are some varieties that have a military style needle . A normal version would be made of a sort of tombak wich was goldplated .. but .. this one is 14k gold . That triggered me... It has got the right lettering with the strange O , leaves are correct and its got the optical lensatic glazing like there's a contact lens on top .

Bought it from a polish collector who couldn't sell it as some' experts' told him it was a fake because it bears no maker mark on the attachment foot of the needle and they couldnot trace the partynumber ...my luck.

The golden variety was so rare that there's hardly any documentation about these .
    The only one in real gold I ever found info about was a A.H. marked version wich was a personal gift from Adi .
    Then I read something about a badge in masive gold wich was a special version for foreighners . Tried looking up the party number and found out that in the 85.000 number range something strange is happening with these badges .

Got a hit from denazification records on the number and traced it further down ..Some honorary professor from the Munchen University , a philologe in the Ahnenerbe stiftungs verlag , a very high dude in the Ahnenerbe organisation with only Walter Darre above him . This guy was an Austrian by birth and couldn't join the party until the anschluss with Austria in 1938 ,but by then the membership numbers were way over the original 100000 older members that could officially qualify for a badge .But he was very active in the NSDAP fromoff 1933 already as far as i could trace him .

In the 85 to 86,000 range you'll find even experts cant tell who's behind the party number through the regular channels ,and the reason is those are reserved for foreighners, mostly Austrians but also a few high ranked Hungarian and Polish NSDAP members .

Was a shock to see he only got a denazification period of 4 weeks or so and was immediately cleared by the americans what should never have happened !!
    After the war he went back to Munich's University and after checking his profile in wikipedia where he's described with a personal article I found not one word mentioned about his whole NSDAP nor his ahnenerbe carreer .
    Even today his works are still being used a lot in Heraldry and Heimkunde ..

Thats so very very wrong !! Later found out most ahnenerbe guys got a free walk after the war and never understood why as these guys were the real motor of the whole NAZI movement 'legalizing' the whole endlösung . Still think that was a real criminal decision ,as small SS office people got a lot tougher sentence . Always wondered why the US army Intelligence declared these people as unharmfull and I am very interested in the reasons why they decided to do so .
    Proves to me that if your dark and important enough youre propably above the law ..

For someone who is really into research I am willing to give the number by a PM ,as I would be very interested to see if the same person comes up as a result after a real thorough check .

pity the frame is screwed together so i can't quickly take it out , it deserves some highly detailed pics as it is a real piece of history . The badge's history was my introduction to german mysticism and the SS culture and worldvision ( where not that much is documented about ) but thats a very different ballgame as just collecting militaria .

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nice displays. I like the metal and badges set-ups in it.

19. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
    Heinrich likes this.
  20. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Attached Files: