Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Is This My Mother & Siblings?"

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by GRW, Jan 23, 2016.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

It's a nice thought, but he might just be unconsciously projecting his own memories onto the pic.
    "A Nazi concentration camp survivor whose family died at Auschwitz is tormented by a photograph of Hungarian Jews queuing on arrival at the camp which he believes may show his mother and two of his siblings.
    Ivor Perl, an 83-year-old Hungarian Jew, was sent to the death camp in 1944 when he was just 12, along with his family. He and his brother, then 14, survived by pretending to the Nazis they were 16 and strong enough to work in the snow.
    Ivor only found out after his liberation that his 45-year-old mother, four sisters and three brothers had died in Auschwitz's gas chambers.
    The brothers were granted asylum in London and Ivor got on with his life: he found work in the textile industry, married and had four children. Memories of his lost family started to fade away as Ivor had no family photos or possessions with him.
    Grief was mainly inward and personal, as he admits to the Mirror: 'We could not grieve properly, not outwardly. Maybe being young we just wanted to get on with life.'
    But suddenly a black-and-white emerged from the mist of history.
    After he agreed to stand as witness in the trial of the so-called Bookkeeper of Auschwitz, Oskar Groening, Ivor was shown by Channel 4 photographs of Hungarian Jews queuing on arrival at Auschwitz.
    It was the first time that the 83-year-old of Buckhurst Hill, Essex, got in contact with such an important testimony.
    The epiphany came as peered into the terrified eyes of a young woman pictured while standing in line with her children.
    'As I looked, the woman appeared so much as my mother does in my mind's eye in that moment,' he says, as reported by the Mirror.
    'We had stumbled out from the cattle trucks. I had heard I should say I was 16 and we had been separated, but I went over to her and said, 'I want to come with you, Mummy.' But she said, 'Go back to your brother' and that is what I did. That is my last memory, and the photograph seems to capture that moment.'
    'I hope it is them,' he adds. 'I can reach and touch that photo – and touch them again.'
    However, he cannot be sure, and that uncertainty and sense of doubt haunts him.
    'I can picture very little of them. In truth, I do not know if I recognise their features. And does it matter? Part of me wants to find them again, and in that sense I want it to be them. But really, what difference does it make?' "
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3413251/Is-woman-mother-died-Auschwitz-Holocaust-survivor-thinks-spotted-rest-family-perished-gas-chambers-haunting-photograph.html#ixzz3y57j2wwn

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

even though not physically there and touched, he is spiritually harmed and haunted..... spiritually there....somehow....I have Hungarian relatives that left Sopron Hungary in 1944 with a wagon and went to Austria...then later on to America....1944 is when the Germans started their big round up in Hungary, I believe...I tried to research it a little....there was a concentration camp near Sopron I think...

3. Clementine

Clementine Member

That is just so heartwrenchingly sad. What happened to his family and to him at Auschwitz, of course, and his not even being certain that he recognizes his mother and brother.

But I suppose it doesn't matter, so long as the image embodies his fragile, precious memories and brings him some comfort.

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Well said. Your absolutely right. Chances are slim that it is them, but his belief will sustain him.