Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

John Yocum my grandfather

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by Chrisdm4, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Earthican

Earthican Member

Good stuff SKYLINEDRIVE

The map jarred my memory of a student paper from the Infantry School. It describes the 310th Infantry attack on Rollesbroich (attached). It mostly features the 3d Battalion but the role of the 1st Battalion can be seen.

Babcock (Taught to Kill) never identifies his regiment but the description of his initial attack seems to match the 1st or 3d Battalion of the 310th Infantry. He identified his unit as A Company but that might not be correct. He may have attempted to obscure which unit he belonged to.

There is also the US Army official history online (page 602)

HyperWar: The Siegfried Line Campaign

It now occurred to me that the 78th and 2d Infantry Division participated in the same V Corps attack in December 1944.

Attached Files:

rkline56 and SKYLINEDRIVE like this.
  2. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Thanks a lot for posting the PDF, it comes handy! Funny I ordered the Siegfried Line Campaign as well as The Last Offensive this morning. I love Cole's and Mc Donald's works!

3. Chrisdm4

Chrisdm4 Member

Wow those photos are awesome! Thank you for posting them. Earthican, I can tell you that whan I was talking to my Uncal about my grandfather he did say that when the 78th got to the front line, that my grandfather and great uncal were going to try and meet up but he was killed before this could happen. But yes I have seen that they were very close to each other at this point in the war.

I also found this map of the 78th
    http://www.78thdivision.org/LightningMap2.6MB.jpg

4. Chrisdm4

Chrisdm4 Member

View attachment 15705
    I dont think I posted this photo before but I was looking at the ones I found with my grandfather in the photo with his buddys. What would be the best way of trying to find the guys in the photos with him. If they are still alive it would be amazing to try and meet them, and find out more about my grandfather.

Attached Files:

5. Earthican

Earthican Member

It might just be my impression, but it seems Regular Army divisions like the 2d ID have less strong veterans associations than some of the AUS and NG divisions.

I know in the past the active army units would host gatherings of their veterans and maybe this weakened separate veteran organizations.

Compounding the problem for the 2d ID is that they have been based out Korea since that war so hosting such events might have been out of the question.

I'm not even sure if they have a dedicated museum/archive at some stateside army post. But it might be worth checking around the Internet for that or other veterans organizations.

6. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Webcasts for Thursday, May 27, 2004: Veterans History Project Pavilion at the National World War II Reunion (Library of Congress)

This link takes you to the Library of Congress - Veterans History Project. From the home page you can browse the personal histories of G.I.s recorded in the database. You can search by state, branch of service, theater of ops etc.
    You may run across something or someone if you search 2d ID. Good luck in your search ChrisDM4!:cool:

This particular link takes you to some interviews and photos recorded at the 2004 National World War II Reunion. There are some interesting stories. I am sure I could spend a year in this branch of the LOC alone.

SKYLINEDRIVE and Chrisdm4 like this.
  7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The NG divisions would also have the advantage of a higher percentage of their veterans being from the same state or region, whereas the RA divisions would tend to be from all over the country.

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That's a great resource, Rick. I'm listening to one of the web-casts right now. :D

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Chris, have you seen the DVDs about the 2nd Infantry Division? Perhaps they show something of your grandfather or his buddies. If not, at least you have a sense of what he went through. 2nd Infantry Division in World War II

rkline56 likes this.
  10. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Thanks, Tom.

Everyone should look up Cecil Earl Workman and listen to his stirring request for future generations and as he describes the killing field(s) in Manila, the site of horrendous IJN atrocities (poor losers at best). That is a great story from a humble man and his quote you have cited is a great tribute to the man and his great message.

11. Chrisdm4

Chrisdm4 Member

I have seen clips from both of those movies but I have not seen them all the way though. I will indeed have to get them both and keep a close eye out for my grandfather.

rkline56, that is a great link for me, and everyone else on here! Thank you for posting it

12. Earthican

Earthican Member