Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

King George to the Islanders

Discussion in 'War44 General Forums' started by Jim, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Administration of the Channel Islands, which were demilitarized and partly evacuated at the end of June, lay largely in the hands of two officials, the Bailiffs of Jersey and of Guernsey, and to them King George has recently addressed a personal message of sympathy and hope. "For strategic reasons," said His Majesty, "it has been found necessary to withdraw the armed forces from the Channel Islands. I deeply regret the necessity, and I wish to assure my people in the Islands that in taking this decision my Government have not been unmindful of their position. It is in their interest that this step should be taken in the present circumstances. The long association of the Islands with the Crown, and the loyal service the people of the Islands have rendered to my ancestors and myself, are guarantees that the link between us will remain unbroken. I know that my people in the Islands will look forward with the same confidence as I do to the day when the resolute fortitude with which we face our present difficulties will reap the reward of victory,”

July 1940