Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Knights Cross Recipients Who Are Still Living

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Huntzman, May 18, 2010.

1. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Nice. See, patience is rewarded

2. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Hello All,

I received a package from Herr Rochus Misch today. While not a Knights Cross winner, I felt that, as a witness to an event in history, I should include him in my collection. He sent a total of ten pics signed, including the three that I sent him. He also included a letter that answered several questions about the facts of the bunker that my son asked . Very nice all around. Wrote that he was glad to see some in the younger generation concerned about the past and keeping it alive instead of only worrying about themselves.

3. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Of course. I believe we all agreed that was a courtesy that should be extended to these veterans.

4. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Alfred Regeniter is always very generous with his time and the photos he sends out. You should try and obtain a copy of his book Knight Gunner published by shelf books it describes his RK actions and the late war expereince of Sturmgeschutz Brigade 276 on the Eastern Front !!

5. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

Nice, greg, great to hear that rochuhs misch is still okay and is being so generous. I wrote him a letter about 10 days ago, so im keeping my fingers crossed. We talked about regeniter sending you a map of ways to defeat russian tanks, you should post an image of that! Have you gotten a reply back from heder or boosfeld yet? Im not sure if they still send back autographs...

6. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Nothing back from Boosfeld or Heder as of yet. I have heard that Boosefeld doesnt reply any more but not sure about Heder. I will try to post the drawings this weekend. I am just honored that thye would reply so quickly. Herr Misch took about a month to return his pictures.

7. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

You know who i would like to grt a photo from? Karl Radermacher. He is one of the few left who won the close combat clasp in gold and the knights cross. I believe ghere were only 98 people who fit that criteria out of the 18 million or so soldiers who rotated through the wehrmacht.

8. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Hey all,

Can someoen tell me how to post pics. I have tried and they wont take. They are suposed to be too big

9. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

I received a reply from herr dr. Regeniter! He sent me the extra pics from his personal collection (him and his sturmgeschuetz squad in east prussia, 1944), the maps of his positions and instructions on how to knock out t-34s. You guys are right, herr dr. Regeniter is generous! I will send him a thank you note. It amazes me how some of these knights cross holders and veterans of the war still are so friendly and cool when people show an interest in their experiences. Top class men, all of them. There aren't many qualty people like that left anymore.

rkline56 likes this.
  10. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Congratulations to you on the letter from Herr Dr Regeniter. He is a heck of a man to reply like he does. Wanted to pass on some bad news I just heard. Georg Bose passed away on Monday 26 Sept 2011.

May he rest in peace

11. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

RIP Leutnant Bose. Unfortunately many of these brave guys are pushing 90, and are passing on more frequently.

12. piero22289

piero22289 recruit

Hi,

I just read your stories and get amazed! I would really want to mail this great men if possible. Could anyone please tell me some adresses of Knights Cross Holders who still replay¿ I know they may have other things to do, but maybe im lucky enough to get something back. Obviously i have to be polite an enclose money for the postage, etc. I have 14 years old, I want to keep the memory of this great soldiers alive.

13. piero22289

piero22289 recruit

14. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Got a reply from Herr Heder today. He signed all my pics. I am thrilled, didnt think these would ever come back

15. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

Thats great greg! How long ago did you send it? I sent him a letter and some pics on july 15, so exactly two and a half months. I hope he replies to me as well! Congrats man.

16. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

I sent my pics in June. He also sent a letter that I just translated. In it, he described the events that led to his winning the KC and some personal details of his life. He was very warm and thanked us for our interest in his career.

17. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

I got a reply from Rochus Misch yesterday! He sent me five of his own photos also signed, in addition to the two I sent him, for a total of seven. What a generous man! Who were those people who told us Herr Misch "never replies anymore", Greg? ;)

Did you get those rare pics of him with Hitler and the ones at the Wolfschantze? We should figure out how to post photos in this forum so that everybody can see these. I have never seen these particular photographs published before in any book or on any website. Think about the historical events that Herr Misch witnessed - and he's also one of the last to know Hitler personally. :eek:

18. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

Also:
    Does anybody know if Hans Roeger from the Grossdeutschland division is still alive? I haven't heard anything confirming or denying it yet.

19. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Yes Herr Misch sent me those photos with him and Hitler as well. I have framed all the pics and put them up with all my other signed pics. I agree with you on the significance of what he witnessed. He seems to have a collection of photos that he sends when he gets requests. He did comment in his letter on the one color photo that I sent him. He liked it. I have been trying to post photos for all to see but when I do, it says they are too big. Dont know what to do. If someone could assist.
    So far, the number of replys I have received has exceeded my expectations by far. It has been a great honor that we have been able to corresppond with these men and have a piece of history in our hands. The personal accounts that the vets have provided will guarantee that their stories will be remembered and that, is what I believe is the most important aspect of this endeavor

20. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

This week is full of surprises ;) got some signed photos from heinrich sonne of the 1st SS infantry brigade. He wrote me a personalized letter explaining where and when he got his knights cross, and told me he wants me to keep the photos for my 'personal collection' (instead of selling i guess? I wouldnt anyway). Nice guy.