Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Knights Cross Recipients Who Are Still Living

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Huntzman, May 18, 2010.

1. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Well, I received 2 packages today. One frome Herr Dr Franz Lochmann. He signed all of my pics and encouraged me to write back if I had any other questions. A great addition to my collection of Tiger commanders. I am in the process of looking for more.
    The 2nd package was a great surprise. Herr Gunter Halm sent a bundle of photos. As it turns out, a previous package I had sent to him was forwarded to him. He also received my second package. He signed all the pictures I sent as well as included several of his own. He and his wife wrote a brief letter and he also included 2 copies of Das Ritterkreuz. What a terrific surprise. The pics I had sent him, were some my son created, I will post them as soon as I can. I am sooo happy. Herr Halm was one that I wanted to hear from.
    I have also started sending the veterans who have responded, thank you letters and including a picture to show them the frames that we create from the photos and signatures that they send us.

2. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

Congratulations! How long ago did you send him the first package? I am still waiting to hear from him, but I know patience is everything when writing these men. You should post a few photos!

3. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Well, I received a package today from Heinz Rokker. He signed all three pics that I had sent and included a short greeting on one of the portraits. Great Stuff!

4. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Damn Bad month. Just saw that Heinrich Sonne, Oskar Schafer and Walter Bohm passed recently . May they all rest in peace

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

now whats wrong with the site not taking umlauts now ..............

Herr Rokker is a fine gentleman as you will ever meet we have been in contact for many years. not sure why you guys don;t post some of the pics you have received ?

Anton Heinemann is another fine chap BF for Hptm. Gerhard Raht Ritterkreuztrager of I./NJG 2, both great guys full of information. I have scans of both chaps possibly even in this thread if not they are elsewhere on RK winners

6. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Erich,

I have wanted to post my pics but each time I try, the site tells me they are too big. If you have any suggestions, I am open. Would love to post them

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

photobucket.com is your friend. the site will auto down-size you pics easily enough, highly recommended.

enjoy !

8. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

That is terrible news! Sonne was very friendly, and Boehm still took the time to sign even though he was in a nursing home. I'm sad to hear about them.

You can post pictures by inserting them, and selecting which size you want them to be - it allows you to select full size (not recommended), large, medium (recommended) and small. Or, you can simply resize your image by using a basic windows image editing program.

9. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

Erich, hasn't Gerhard Raht been dead for a while? That's what that website das-ritterkreuz.de said.

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

correct vonK, whom I meant was Anton Heinemann - wonderful man, tried to speak/write to me in English and then said forget it which was fine as he wrote very clearly in Deutsch. have also had the pleasure to interview Rökkers BF as well as his watchful tail gunner who received the DKiG.

again this has been some years ago for the last two Gentlemen, concerning the operations flown by I./NJG 2 during 1945 for a proposed book I was and still am working on.......

11. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

Heinz Rokker sent me a friendly letter and some signed photos - he seems generous with his time.

Has anybody heard from Herbert Fries? Does he not reply any longer?

12. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

I finally figured out how to reduce these pictures. This is my picture that I received from Herr Langanke. My son made the plate on the bottom as he wanted to identify each veteran to anyone who visits our home. Needless to say, my wife rolls her eyes each time she walks into the room as we are always adding pictures

View attachment 15286

Attached Files:

13. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Attached Files:

14. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Attached Files:

15. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Attached Files:

16. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Attached Files:

17. VonKoenigsberg

VonKoenigsberg Member

That's really cool! I like the motifs you and your son put together. Where did you find the colorized pic of Samatrieter?

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

another pic of Kurt for your collection . . . .

[​IMG]

19. gregoperations2

gregoperations2 Member

Erich, that is a great picture. I have never seen that one. Where did you get it?

VK, I found the color picture in WW2 forum where one of the guys colorizes pictures and posts them. As to the plates we use, I have my son research the unit, equipment and when the KC was awarded and what for. This way, he gains knowledge of the men that we are writing. Will post some more this weekend.

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Greg I will reveal my secret later, note the full on panzer uni whereby his Pzjagd unit was absorbed into the ranks of the Panzerkompanies most likely Stug III or Jagdpz IV's. ~ 1944 late into 45, and his change in rank............. Pz IV's being in short supply and Stug III's were not.