Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for 85th Mountain Pictures General Questions

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by loveyourmudder, Nov 18, 2008.

1. loveyourmudder

loveyourmudder recruit

I am looking for pictures that invole anything to do with the 85th mountain infantry. My grandfater was in this, he died when my father was young and what he seen and did has was buried with him. Any pictures of the 85th would be great. Also would like pictures of a M1 carbine and 30 cal. machine gun. And I also need help figuring out his discharge papers. what does "Duty NCO (566)" mean? and on remarks of the discharge papers it says:

Lapel Button issued
    LMG 1st CL Gunner 30 Jun 44
    Carbine M1 SS 28 Jun 44

Can anyone tell me what that means,

I know these are alot of questions and some many seem simple or "stupid" to some of you, but I am new at this and really want to be able to tell my grandfathers story. Thanks in advance for helping.

2. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

LMG 1st CL Gunner means he qualified as a First Class Gunner on the Light Machine Gun on 30 Jun 44 and he qualified on the M1 Carbine Single Shot on 28 Jun 44 and was authorized to wear qualification bars on Marksman,SharpsShooter or Expert Qualification badge. Depending on his scores.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

"Duty NCO (566)" is his MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) code. I havent found out what the exact duties if the Duty NCO are yet.

4. loveyourmudder

loveyourmudder recruit

Thanks for the info sir, The duty nco has me confused whatever it was he only did it for two months the majority of the time he was Light Machine Gunner (604) Thanks alot for the help.