Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Luftwaffe recruits taking oath parade

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by Skipper, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

[​IMG]

exploring the town on a leave

getting food rations, you can evne read the amount marmelade, tabacco and butter they are allowed

[​IMG]

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, the pic Skipper showed is the other gate which does not have a road running through it. I never saw the other one which you posted. We were in Lubeck for maybe 3 hours? and spent at least half that time walking down Cobblestone Streets, and all around that huge Cathedral that was holding service when we walked all about the place. Then we went to some tiny outdoor Cafe that was a few blocks away from the Cathedral. After that was when we found our way to that Pedestrian only foot bridge and made our way through that gateway. I sure wish someone could come up with a pic taken of it from the side Susanne and I ended up on, before our schedule made us leave as we had to drive towards Eck-so we could check into our rooms at a large house where some KM Officers had lived at during the war.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Great pics SKipper. That's at least a Regimental sized unit. Do you know what unit these guys were in?

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I think we are confused here Carl, there are only two gates at Lübeck, the one I first thought with the twin towers at Lübeck is NOT at Lübeck at all, the geometry of height is all wrong as so is the window set-up. the photo posted by Skip is what maybe two stories high, the Holtsen tower at Lübeck is four stores high and then the north gate which I posted a colour shot of.

hope this clears this up, make sense now ? Skips twin tower photo is not at Lübeck

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I know Erich, that's why I say Germany . It has to be a large city city though with the typical prewar Reichbahnwagons. On the other picture we can see awagon laballed 'B" which mad eme say that particular plac eis in Belgium, a sto the station at St Omer, France it's beyond any doubt.

[​IMG]

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

this may seem a tad strange but the northern German brick works of the 14-1500's is of Flemish origin so we may have shall I say it ..... Antwerp possibly in the place(s) search ? would the B also possibly be Bremen ? .........though a strong doubt occurs

E `

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

the "B" is the symbol of the Belgian railroad like the the Germans had "RB".
    Antwerpen and Gent seem good candidates, I'll check those too.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, no im not confused at all. The Gateway with the twin towers is in Lubeck. If I can find my photos from 2000, ill gladly send them to you.

As a warning on me this eve, I just had major foot surgery this day and are still effected by the Morphine I was given.

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

ok Carl, deal we need to see 1-2 pics of the twin towers of yours to see then for a comparison.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ill see if I can find them. I don't know if I ever had the rolls of film they were on developed yet or not? Anyway, I know the twins are there-unless Susanne lied to me about what city we were walking in for those some 3 or so hours? ;-))

Ow ow ow, my damned foot hurts, I thinks its time for another dang pill.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

ok , now tha the gentlemen have disembarked and visited the town, it's about town they start work , after all they ddin't take oath for a holiday or did they, so her eis their training session :

[​IMG]

Gewehr

[​IMG]

learning how to use the canon

[​IMG]

more Mauser

[​IMG]

and the Mg!

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Boy i'd like to have the ability to reach into those pictures and steal all of their Guns ;-)) Great great training pic ;-))

Oh and, for E, I found all my rools or at last mosst of them, went through the 8 or so that I had developed which didn't have any of my Lubeck pics so, hopefully after a soon to occur big event completes that im about to endure-(not talking about that other sirgery im going to have for my left foot but something else) ill be taking a few down at atime to get developed. The twins pics will be in one of my Lubeck rolls of film.

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

just the Mg42 would be nice ;)

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

interesting practice artillery/pak piece being used...........note the muzzle ? brake or more like an unsuitable flash hider

15. Kobalt04

Kobalt04 Dishonorably Discharged

What stage of the war were these photographs taken? I wonder. That the 7.92mm MG 15s shown in the photographs are dismounted guns from flexible mountings in aircraft and had a bipod and butt clamped to them so they could be used as ground weapons suggest that this may have been later in the war when Luftwaffe personnel and their weapons were pressed into service as ground forces.

Skipper likes this.
  16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That makes sense Kobalt, I know the transport pictures are from 1940, but the second set is undated, I however think they are from the same period. One possibilty is that the men were trained to use bipods earlier in the war in case they would need to fight on the ground.

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, this would be one time to be a bit greedy ;-)) Same goes if I had the ability to reach into the Berlin Wach Battn pics I have. I'd steal them blind ;-)) Just kidding of course.

One thing on looking at your pics again, has me thinking that many of them would be great pics to use for a funny pics with caps thread ;-)) The one with the small artillery piece could go something like: "LOOK, up in the sky, it's a bird! Its a Plane, Its Superman!". :lol: :lol:

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I would not say much later in the war due to the national eagle still being worn on the left side of the helmet, in most cases during 44 and onward all recognition(s) were removed for camo/ID purposes. By 1943 the MG 15 was debunked off of A/C except for some naval/coastal craft until the single MG 131 could be in place on rearward and lower fuselage mount(s)

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Good point Erich after 1943, the LW would likely have used the RheinMetal Borsig, so I think these were standard Mgs for training , not late war emergency ones.

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The pics appear to be early war at the latest because on some you can see the lids were DD'ed.