Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

M1 Garand Or M1 Carbine?

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Allied-vs-Axis, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Say what? Again.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

We've purchased and imported Garands and Carbines from at least a dozen nations, including Korea. That's what the Civilian Marksmanship Program does. That's what it is for. They turn over military rifles to the militia (the citizens). The idiot in chief doesn't like guns, and this was one way for him put a gun control law in place without the annoyance of having to go to congress and have a law passed. They'd have laughed at him.

3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

No, that is not what the CMP does.

"The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a national organization dedicated to training and educating U. S. citizens in responsible uses of firearms and airguns through gun safety training, marksmanship training and competitions. The CMP is a federally chartered 501(c)(3) corporation that places its highest priority on serving youth through gun safety and marksmanship activities that encourage personal growth and build life skills. Links on this page will lead you to more detailed information about the CMP and its programs.
    Statutory mission. The federal law enacted in 1996 (Title 36 U. S. Code, 40701-40733) that created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS, the formal legal name of the CMP) mandates these key “functions for the corporation:
    1. To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;
    2. To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;
    3. To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.
    The law specifically states: In carrying out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the corporation shall give priority to activities that benefit firearms safety, training, and competition for youth and that reach as many youth participants as possible."

It does NOT purchase and import firearms from anyone other than the Department of Defense.

M1917 Enfield - "All of these rifles have been on loan from the U.S. Army to chartered veterans' organizations for use in honor guards, funerals, and other ceremonial purposes. All are mix-masters and none are in original condition. We receive only a few of this model each year, and in overall poor condition. "
    M1903 Rifle - "The rifles continued to serve as ceremonial rifles by veterans’ organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV and many others. We are pleased to offer these rifles for sale exclusively to members of CMP affiliated organizations.
    These rifles have all seen considerable use. All have been rebuilt at one time or another and should be considered “mix-masters” as they have parts from all manufacturers. These rifles are all returns from veterans’ organizations."
    M1 Garand - "Per the newly completed and signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. Army and the Civilian Marksmanship Program, M1 Garands will be limited to eight per calendar year, per customer. The new limit of eight M1 Garands goes into effect immediately and any customer who has purchased over eight will not be allowed to purchase more M1 Garands until 1 Jan., 2017. The CMP considers any item containing an M1 Garand receiver with a serial number to be an M1 Garand and will deduct from the eight M1 Garand rifle limit per year."

No they do NOT "turn over military rifles to civilians". They SELL surplus military rifles to CIVILIANS in order for the CIVILIANS to participate in the three "key functions for the corporation" firearms safety, training, and competition for youth (see above).

Meanwhile, yet again, the Obama administration was at first letting the sale through, I suspect until the legal ramifications (as pointed out in the paper you ignored) were made clear, at which point it nixed the idea - meanwhile, Lummis' bill DIED IN COMMITTEE. It has no force in law, so the idea that an EO or Executive action was taken to "stop it" is simply silly tinfoil conspiracy thinking. This is NOT a simple case of "us versus them", "conservatives versus liberals", or "2d Amendment versus the world" and trying to shoehorn it into such by reducing it to the absurdity of "Obama don't like guns" doesn't help.

4. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

If people are going to discuss politics, should the discussion thereof not be moved to the stump?

RichTO90 likes this.
  5. RichTO90

To refresh your memory Terry, it was the gratuitous politically motivated diatribe by the OP posted 05 January 2017 - 06:50 AM "As long as this thread has popped back up..." which prompted my original response clarifying the record. It was also the OP's continual refusal to provide evidence to support his politically-motivated diatribe, which prompted my follow-ups.

6. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

I can see that, but I still feel that if the discussion continues along those lines it may now belong elsewhere.

RichTO90 likes this.
  7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

To the topic;

It would depend on the job at hand which one I'd prefer. I like the carbine due to it's weigh and size, the Garand has superior range. I'm partial to the M-1 carbine because I basically grew up with one. Transitioned from a Mossberg .22 target rifle to the .30 carbine when I was 10 years old. Doubt I could have handled the Garand. At least my shoulder probably wouldn't.

8. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

If the US could ship all of them them back and stock national guard armories with them for use by local militias, then maybe the second amendment can finally be repealed (runs and ducks.)

9. RichTO90

Yep. In fact, it belonged "elsewhere" from the beginning. :)

10. RichTO90

What does it take to repeal an Amendment? An Amendment. What does it take to get an Amendment? :)