Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

M26 Adrian Helmet - Casque Adrian

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by AndyPants, Feb 17, 2009.

1. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Hey Skipper......I said it earlier and I'll say it again - I think I'm a little hooked on these Adrians now!! :)

I was searching around for a while and I've come across a clue / answer to a question I had in my first post in this thread about a very faint ink-stamp inside the helmet shell. I could'nt make it all out and considering my very poor grasp of the french lanuage - there was no point in guessing the word!!!

Well I just found a description of an ink stamp on another adrain - it reads NICROMAC - (so I was close).....Im still guessing it's most likely the manufacture's name. Only thing is, on my 'ink-stamp', thers is at least 2 other unreadable digits - so these are possibly for the date of manufacture?

Anyway, Im Happy :D ! so it's another small puzzle peice found on the internet

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That sounds like a company name. Could it be MicroMagic?

3. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Hey Skip

ya I defo think it's a company name now......MocroMagic - i dont know.

Is that an english translation?.......I cant come across anything relevant with that name (but of course I'm only searching english website, etc) Also the fact that i've come across another helmet (one i don't own), also with this Nicromic stamp makes me belive I've got the spelling right (or least not crazy :confused: )

I've looked at a few websites now, It seems when i try to search Nicromic (on google for example)......it wants me to search Micromic.....but even then nothing turns up. So i might try looking at some sites in french ;)

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Could you take an enlarged picture of the name? I will try to decypher it for you.

Besides, here is an example of the kind of original material you can still find for a cheap price in France. This M-15 Adrian with 100% artillery insignia an original painting (once cleaned) is for sale for 30 euros on a local add site on line. The insignia alone is worht the bargain. I bought a similar helmet wiht no insignia for just 10 euros yesterday and hope to restore about 75% of th original painting.

On the same site I saw this little M-26 fellow with WWI insignia , look at the condition!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Hey Skip, that's great to hear of those bargains ...... just last week, I booked a ferry crossing for me and my brother,. Were coming over to France for two weeks in April and now I'm really looking forward to it !!
    Were also bring my car - so it's hopefully gonna be packed full on the trip home ;) we've been planning this for years but know I have some free time with college so why not - plus it'll be my birthday .......ya gotta treat yourself once in a while ;)

I'll see if I can get a better picture of the name......but I remember the mark being very faint to the eye, so no guarantees it'll come out.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I suppose you will land in Normandy or in Britanny, but if you make it to the Loire valley let me know, there are plenty of good places I could show you.

7. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Thanks Skip, ya Normandy ........we'll see, as at the moment we have a large list of "to do and to see" - I know we can't possibly visit them all properly, so I'll have to spend some time sorting that out ;) ......but later to the time I may PM you for some advice/tips if that is all right with you.

P.S, I don't have my camera at the moment, so that picture will have to wait to later -

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

no problem, I will be away next week to Germany, so if you can't post it before Sunday, don't worry about it, Iwill study it when I return.
    As to your trip, by all mean I will gladly tell you where to go, yo umay also want to ask Martin Bull who is our Normandy rover and who knows all the little nooks

9. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Thanks for the tip about Martin, I'll PM one of the days too ,

........ I had'nt taught about it until now, but ya it would be a good idea asking you guys for that sort of information ..... because there would be no chance of us finding everything of interest ;) - especially on my first trip.

- Thanks again

10. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Speaking of Adrians...... I found this on ebay, ....... at pesent it's going for about $300,

The top thing is sort of funny, i guess it's a replacement design for the crest?

"Very rare SOVIET RUSSIAN M16 HELMET Izhora Factory"

the description:

"Very rare original Russian M16 Helmet.This helmet is similar to the French Adrian Helmet and was produced in the Izhora factory at Kolpino near St. Petersburg. There were only about 10'000 helmets produced in Russia, befor the production was switched to Finland where the similar M17 Sohlberg helmet was produced.The Izhora produced helmet is about 2 centimeter longer and has a deeper bowl than the Sohlberg helmet. Those helmets were worn especially by the Red army Special troops (e.g. Machine gunners) into the late 1930s.
    Don't know if the painting is period done or applied later, anyway the helmet itself is a great original and very rare.
    As reference see " Russian helmets: From Kaska to Stalshlyem 1916-2001" by Robert W. Clawson page 8 - 15"

Attached Files:

Skipper likes this.
  11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The Tsarist Adrians are famous collectible items and are very difficult to get. I own the insignia (repro) , but not the helmet. I have seen it in two different colors (the Russian green , but aso the French mustard cammo for foreign troops. Tsarist troops also fought on the Marne front . I'm not certain but I believe they also wore French made Adrians. I didn't know the Finns made those for the Russians, nor that the Russians kept wearing them until the late 30s

12. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

i just looked to see what that russian adrain sold for out of interest, the highest bid was $535 (422 euro) but there was a reserve - it was not met, so its been relisted.

The seller must be looking for a petty high figure :cool: .... as you say though its a rare type so I supose people are willing to splash out.

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Latest purchase from a friend for a small price. A M-26 with Medic insignia!

[​IMG]

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Another M26 bought at the local flee market this morning. No insignia but the strap is intact and after some cleaning, about 90% of the original kaki paint was restored. The result is actually very nice considering a few hours ago it was full of rust.

[​IMG]

AndyPants likes this.
  15. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

really nice skip ...... for some reason my computer is acting up and i could'nt see these new pictures....but i've just looked again and now i can see the one you restored - great job there

i'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the medic pic shows up later!

16. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

again - seeing these great finds is getting me excited about my trip next month

cant wait now, counting the days down!!!!! :D

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Don't hesitate to get them even when they are rusted (unless damaged beyond repair) as when you clean the rust, the paint will still be there. One particularity of this quality of paint is that the the rust mainly goes over the paint , not under, so if you reactivate the paint wiht transparent shoe polish you will the original color back cm2 by cm2 and for the dried leahter strap there is nothing betther than a tiny drop of beef hoof oil.

18. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

thanks for the tip......don't worry i dont think i would turn one down (unless the price was too high)

ah my computer!!! still cant see the medic pic, and now i've lost the other pic too...........must be my boadband!!! :headbonk:

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

If it is your broad band you may just want to wait a minute to allow time for the pictures to load. They are high definition, but usually a 512 speed should do. If not let me know I will post them with a lower resolution.

20. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

yes, please do if you can (especially the medic helmet) , would like to see it. Our broadband is very slow alright, I waited for a long time yesterday, to give them a chance but the pics did'nt show up. thanks Skip