Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Major Papurt and Ultra

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Kai-Petri, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

In the book Hitler´s secret war by C Whiting he describes how on 22 September 1944 near wallendorf Wehrmacht captured three persons who were aware of the Ultra secret. These were Major Maxwell Papurt, Gertrude Legendre and Robert Jennings.

They were questioned and tortured for information. According to the the book it is not known whether anyone let the secret out but the Abwehr code changed very soon. It also seems these people were killed "in the process"...

Anyone got more info on this?

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Any knowledge ?

3. Vinsnash

Vinsnash recruit

Hi,

I have found a complete series of letters from a Maj. M. J. Papurt covering just about every day through 1943 and 1944 until his death. There is a certificate of condolence with an FDR signature and a Purple Heart award signed by Sec. of War Stinsom.

According to the certificates he died of wounds received. Could this be the Major Maxwell Papurt you are talking about? The letters are all to his wife in Ohio addressed as "sweetheart" or "Butch".

Regards

Vins Nash

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

It might be him. Did he operate in Europe? That should be in the letters. Did he die because of wounds from a battle or of the torture by Gestapo?

5. Vinsnash

Vinsnash recruit

The letters are definitely his. He was OSS and privy to Ultra/Enigma. He was captured near Wallendorf on Sept 26 1944. His last letter is dated Sept 25, 1944. He was in North Africa, Italy, and then France. He is mention in several books including "Cloak and Gown" by Robin Winks. Yale Univ. Press 1996. Also "Hitler's Secret War" by C. Whiting. His Purple Heart award states he died from wounds. The Germans supposedly changed their cypher code right after his capture.

There is an obit in a Jan 15, 1945 Brooklyn, NY paper. The background reads almost identical to a short bio found with the letters. PHD Ohio University, Superintendent "Pride of Judea Children's Home, Clinical psychologist at a NY reformatory and an institution for "defective delinquents".

A biography of Margret Bourke-White, the Life Magazine photographer and war correspondent, claims he an she had an affair in Naples.

Vins Nash

Kai-Petri likes this.
  6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

In that case those must be his letters, a great find must say! Congrats!

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Interesting info to the new members and perhaps some older members as well. I had forgotten this to be honest.

8. finnpeter

finnpeter New Member

Hi all, Realize this is an old exchange, but would anyone be able to put me in touch with Vinsnash. I'm interested in talking to him about the Papurt letters. Many thanks, Peter Finn

9. Jill Gibson

Jill Gibson New Member

M. Jerry Papurt was my great uncle and I am seeking any information about him. Thanks.

10. Jill Gibson

Jill Gibson New Member

M. Jerry Papurt was my great uncle and I am seeking any information about him. Would love to discuss the research you conducted for your book. Thanks!

11. Jill Gibson

Jill Gibson New Member

Do you still have these letters?