Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Making a long gun from a kit? Any experience?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by OpanaPointer, Jan 4, 2012.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

A friend of mine made a muzzle-loading rifle from the Tennessee Valley Arms kit a looooong time ago. I'm sort of interested in doing that myself now, but know nothing of the current state of the market.

Any thoughts, suggestions, hints or SWAGs would be appreciated.

2. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I am similarly interested and can provide no experience but have found these in my looking ......unfortunately at the prices I probably could afford to make the $14 knife. Track of the Wolf - Guns: flint, percussion, & early cartridge guns

Unfortunately, that would leave me at the gunfight with a knife. And since I have already made one for less than that......I am out of luck already.

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I don't have any personal experience in the construction phase, but a very close friend of mine built a very nice Hawkins replica in .45 calibre. And while Bob is a nice enough guy, he is all thumbs when it comes to mechanical stuff. He is very skilled with wood working, so his stock was a beaut, but the actual rifle itself must have been pretty simple to put together since he was successful. I am not positive, but the name Tennessee Valley does sound familiar. Since he has long moved away I have no way of getting hold of him. Last I heard he was living in the Virgin Islands.

4. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

It's all about the wood working as the toughest part is finishing the stock. My father in law built one, to be more specific: he finished the stock and I assembled it for him. As I recall the actual assembly was pretty easy and the instructions were very concise.

5. OpanaPointer

I can finish wood not problem, and I was an Engineman and then Machinist Mate in the Navy, so I can point a screwdriver in the right direction.

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

If you can sharpen a pencil with a knife (without cutting off a digit) and have a little patience. Shop around of course for deals on prices. Patience is key and have fun. Kits use to run about $100.00 for a rifle but run the gamut now.

edit: wow the prices have gone up?! I asked my uncle (yet another relative) who put together a Traditions Kentucky Rifle. Still has it after 40 years and looks great. Try bass-pro for a few styles and prices.

7. OpanaPointer

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

So, I presume you know the old saying, "All tools are hammers except screwdrivers which are chisels". ;)

I have given some thought to doing a black powder kit, but have too much going on these days. Maybe after I retire in, oh, about 30 years...

9. lwd

lwd Ace

Another option is continuing education classes at a local CC or high school if you have them. Back 30 years ago when I finished college I was home for a few months and took a couple taught by the local high school teacher. Made a knife from scratch. He showed me a beautiful underhammer cap and ball single shot black powder piston one of his day time students (doubt that would happen now) was making. Again from scratch bored the barrel, fabricated the lock, carved the grip, etc.

10. OpanaPointer

Does the term "Crescent hammer" sound familiar?
    Gateway drug for me, by this time next year I want to be building cannons.

11. OpanaPointer

I'll see what St. Loser has to offer. But if the kit's instructions are proper, including a DVD these days, then I should be able to get 'er done.

12. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Not to be a nudge; but, be sure to use the "Croissant Hammer" is it's metric.
    I think Cabela's also has some black powder kits which are relatively inexpensive.

13. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

14. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

I skipped all the middlemen and just went and bought one. On clearance. It's .50 cal, accurate, easy to use, and I don't worry about it blowing up in my face. 139 bucks.

15. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

i had a buddy that got 1 of those Tennessee valley kits in .75 cal he was doing the rondivous thing at the time and wanted to be "real" he still has it, kicks like a fracken mule

16. OpanaPointer

Didn't know that! Even the left-handed ones?
    Thanks! There's one here in the St. Loser area, I'll go 'splorin'.

17. OpanaPointer

My friend back in the '70s built his and ignored all that petty detail stuff. Like how to cut down the powder measure to match his piece. He was getting knock on his keister routinely and once we had the super troopers check us out because somebody called in "explosions". I watched him a few time and then dug into the papers that came with it. Turned out he was supposed to cut 2/3 of the measure off for that rifle. I guess it's a tribute to the manufacturers that it didn't explode in his face.

18. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

So? Did ya' get a rifle kit? Saw an ad for a Blunderbuss kit the other day. But at $875.00 I think they're nuts :eek:

[​IMG]

19. lwd

lwd Ace

I'd agre with that one. You could probably get all the parts for one with the possible exception of the barrel for less than $100. Access to a hich school machine shop would let you fabricate the whole thing. Back home there was a community ed machine shop class operating out the high school cost about $30 back then to take it. It would probably have taken a couple of sessions to build it from scratch. Far less if you just bought the lock.

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

900 dollar blunderbuss...The whole point of a BB is that it's cheap to operate. What are they shooting out of it - gold chains? ..Pretty sure you could build one out of an old drainpipe. ..I made a small muzzle loader out of a coffee percolator, ladyfinger firecracker, bic pen, black tape, navy bean. ..I shouldn't even be talking about it. Secret.