Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mars Task Force 475th reg

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Vince Bunio, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Robersabel

Robersabel Member

Appreciate the input. According to the decision by the Army Board, the veteran was denied due to his MOS of a dog handler. There was no requirement as such until after WWII. He fought under War Department Circulars 269, amended 105, 186 or 408 dated 1943 and 1944.
    His discharge reveals the 475th Infantry Regiment as unit assignment. His testimony reveals the following:

“2. The applicant states, in effect, that although his military occupational specialty
    (MOS) was 458 (Dog Handler), he was trained as an infantryman and conducted
    reconnaissance patrols near and in enemy lines at great personal risk.. He further
    states that he was under artillery and small arms fire as well as hand to hand
    combat in one instance. He also states that all members of the unit known as
    “Merrill’s Marauders” have been awarded the CIB and the BSM regardless of
    their MOS.”

Copies of the General Orders should be available through the Archives. Yet to determine the avenue for the nephew of the veteran. The veteran has since died without just recognition.

2. Robersabel

Robersabel Member

Is Glenn W. Halvorson a recipient of the Combat Infantryman badge?

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I believe one of the criteria for being awarded the CIB is having an infantry MOS, but there are others on the Forum more knowledgeable on the subject than I, so I will defer to them. Most WWII personnel records are considered "Archival" at this point, which means they are available to the general public. The trick is finding them. Glenn, my great uncle, was awarded the CIB. I obtained the General Order information from his IDPF and ended up hiring a researcher who found a copy of the GO in which he was named as one of the recipients.

4. Robersabel

Robersabel Member

I do not know any other way to put it. So I will place the statement once again...There was no requirement as such until after WWII. He fought under War Department Circulars 269, amended 105, 186 or 408 dated 1943 and 1944.
    If you want copies of the guidelines, I would be happy to share.

Robert

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

My apologies. I obviously misunderstood your posts.