Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MIA Pfc. Lawrence Block 4ID 12th reg.

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by dg1983, May 24, 2013.

1. dg1983

dg1983 Member

Another update. There is a possibility that there is a half-brother still living, now waiting for a answer and hoping he is indeed a half-brother of Lawrence Block

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Glad you're still at it. Let us know what you discover.

3. dg1983

dg1983 Member

After a while I want to update you all.

I have contact with a genealogy researcher and she helped me a lot to find relatives of Lawrence Block. She find some interesting new information for me and it is for the moment getting close to blood relatives of him. I hope at the end of this year I'm connected to his relatives.

I will keep you all posted.

Danny

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Thanks, Danny. It's encouraging to see that you are making progress.

dg1983 likes this.
  5. dg1983

dg1983 Member

A new update in the search for relatives of Lawrence Block

The researcher has had contact with the adopted son of Lawrence Block his brother, and his brother is still living.

This is great news in this search. Hope all is coming together so it can be possible to identify Lawrence Block with the IDPF and X-file :)

I will keep you all posted

Danny

Otto likes this.
  6. dg1983

dg1983 Member

Just talked with my researcher about the relatives. She has find the relatives for a DNA match. We are going to request a couple of DNA kits, so they can do this for identification.

Danny

7. dg1983

dg1983 Member

Finally 3 weeks ago I have send the complete case to DPAA for an investigation and if it is possible to get a positive match of Pfc Lawrence Block. A couple of months ago a friend of mine has found the brother (and adopted son) of Lawrence Block. So there has been asked for a DNA sample to send to DPAA.

With this new opening with the DNA and a possible match between the X-file (Unknown grave) and the IDPF of Lawrence Block there is a case now at DPAA and they are busy at this moment with this case, and coincidentally they started also a case of Staff Sergeant William H. Ewart who was also buried on the temporary cemetery were Lawrence Block was buried and he is also on the Wall of the Missing at the Netherlands American Cemetery.

I will keep you all posted and still hope they can identify Lawrence Block.

Thank you all

Danny

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Thank you for continuing to update us on your efforts to locate PFC Block. Hopefully all the work you have done will help DPAA resolve this case more quickly. I look forward to your future updates.

9. dg1983

dg1983 Member

A new update about this case, please read the e-mail from DPAA. I have answered this e-mail with what to do for the family to do the request for disinterment. I will keep you all posted.

[SIZE=medium]Thank you also for an update regarding the Family Reference Sample of DNA for PFC Block. I agree that it does appear to be easy to disinter the Unknown remains and test against the family's DNA sample. Unfortunately, there are minimum standards in order to successfully process a request to disinter. I also agree that there are many connections between the records for PFC Block and Neuville X-7157. But again, the fact that the two dental records are so far off, is difficult to overcome. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]However, I did discuss this case with Dr. ..... I believe he will review the files and records to see what other options we have. He is very good at recognizing if a case has strong disinterment possibilities. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The primary next of kin, or their designated representative, always have the option to submit a disinterment request. Family requests are given priority and DPAA has a specific time-frame by which we must respond. I cannot advise you on what to do, however, if you feel strongly that this case has merit, then I think you should move forward. Does that make sense to you?[/SIZE]

10. dg1983

dg1983 Member

I have asked the family (his half-brother) to send a request to Fort Knox for reinterment for the Unknown grave. They want to do that and send the request. Now waiting when they accept it for reinterment.