Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Modern US Army

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Ancient Fire, Jan 25, 2004.

1. SignalCorp

SignalCorp Member

Hey there GIJOE ... nice tag ;) I'm more of a COBRA man myself, hehe

I don't think any one wishes to bash the American Military, I agree with what you say! Some may attack the deployment and use of the military but that's another argument for another thread I think.

First time I had heard of HAARP so I did a quick search for it and came up with alot of conspiracy nuts claiming various things. I found this site to get a basic description http://www.haarp.net/ do you have any better sources?

2. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I don't think anyone's bashing the US armed forces. No ones has doubts about them being the most powerful in the world.

But not even the US can afford - nor economically nor socially - having a militray strenght of WWII or Cold War proportions. That's not necessary anyway.

Small and professional armies to be used in foreign theatres is what now is needed and that's what has been done over the last years: transforming the US armed forces from mass-recruited armies to small and professional ones.

Great Britain has being doing that since the end of the Hundred Years War with only two exception periods (WWi and WWII). That's why they are much more used to it and have much more experience.

The US have without doubt many of the best special units and forces in the world - seals, rangers, airborne, etc. - but I think that most of its regular troops still need more advanced training and new tactics. Fortunately, they are adaptable and time is adapting them to the new ages.

3. No.9

No.9 Ace

Problem with the ongoing US claim ‘we’re the greatest – can do anything’ is in reality fostered by having the world’s largest amount of hardware, high tech and military budget.

No.9

4. Brad T.

Brad T. Member

The thing about the US army is that they are built to fight large wars, not the ones they are caught up in now. For example, alot of the USAF units that are needed to to search and rescue, scouting, and transport are in the reserves and or national guard. This makes sence because when your in a large war, you can immidiatly bring up the reserves, and they know whats going on, and what to do, and it never had to interfere with their lives post-war. But now, they need the search and rescue mobilised, they need reconesness forces mobilized, and they need heavy transport forces mobilized to keep the men in Afghanistan and Iraq safe, and supplied, and while this happens there is some active forces sitting at home, while the reserves are on active duty.