Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Most clever / inventive weapon of the war

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by T. A. Gardner, May 28, 2007.

1. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

I remember holding onto the handrails and bracing myself against the walls as I hurled. Some went in the commode, most all over the walls and me. Sleep wasn't any good either since the crew quarters were right in the bow.:eek: Whoever designed that must have been smoking something. That was a 90' boat called American River. I had better times on the 155 footers like Battle River. Company was called Trico Marine Operators and all of their boats were named after American Rivers.

2. TA152

TA152 Ace

3. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

I think the difference lies in the fact that PT boats did around 30-40 knots, which would have them slicing through the waves. Most crewboats working in the oilfields (the ones I were on anyway) do less than 20, which ride the waves up and down. A steel hulled supply boat would hardly feel the seas due to its weight and size. A crew boat, on the other hand, is much lighter (like the PT boat) and you feel the waves much more. Those smaller boats (65 +/- feet), like the ones on that website, are used for short runs to platforms 10-20 miles out and do not weather strong seas.

4. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

[​IMG]

Back to the Fw 189 night fighter..........This is purportedly? a picture of the night fighter version, the 20mm canone visible in place of the defensive gun turret. Besides reports that this version was used exclusively on the Eastern Front I can't, for the life of me, find much information on it. Does anyone else know of a somewhat reputable web site?

5. Joe

Joe Ace

From that Angle, it looks like a JU-88...

6. TA152

TA152 Ace

Alright William !! I looked and looked for a picture like that and struck out.
    Even has the jazz music cannon installation and radar.

Give yourself a pat on the back for finding that much !

7. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Thanks TA 152! Tried to post a pic here but, it was just too big. Anyway, I found these sites.....*Unless you understand Spanish you may have to re-type the first site and click "translate" to get the English version.....sorry.....

www.europa1939.com/luftwaffe/apoyo/fw189.html

www.wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/s/219/2/1

Although I found conflicting information (which means any one of them could be spurious) on the Schrage Musik installations, I.e., two 15mm, one 15mm and one 20mm, it is the 20mm version that looks most likely to have been the one used. Notwithstanding the above, all Schrage Musik armed Fw 189 seem to have been employed within I NJG/100 on the Eastern Front. A particular aircraft with this unit is on the bottom website with the serial number W7+WM. Another aircraft (in a book I have) has the fuesalage number W7+CB which also has a single mounted 20mm? Schrage Musik. It's easy to distinguish what would be the Schrage Musik installation because of the forward slanting attitude of the gun as opposed to the dorsal turret installation which did not rotate? a full 360 degrees. Does anyone know where to look up aircraft serial numbers on the net? This might solve the question.

8. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

9. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

10. TA152

TA152 Ace

That colored formation picture is priceless ! The pictures of the gunner in the tail position and the twin gun turret are great also. I am starting to like this plane alot.

11. CBRent

CBRent Member

I'll add the Norton Bomb Sight.

The previously mentioned proximity fuse was a very big deal as well.

To a lesser degree the airborn radar caused the enemy to change tactics (shipborn as well - didn't the USS George Washington pound a Japanese battleship at night due to that?)

The Me-262 was impressive, but too little too late. There weren't any pilots anyway. The Allies were close, if not surpassing it with their own designs (although the 262 looked cooler).

Later!

12. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

That's a most interesting photo of the Fw189 Nachtjager, wilconqr....something new to me.....:cool:

13. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Thank you sir! I was wondering if I might see your input on this topic again and, even more, hoping that you'd be able to run down some new information on it. You seem like the most knowledgeable person on this forum when it comes to aircraft.:)

14. TA152

TA152 Ace

WHAT ?! Now I am insulted and I am sure Erich is insulted too. All he knows about is Mosquitos !

I am seeing red dots in your future William. :cartman:

15. Martin Bull

:eek::eek::eek: !!!

Now, where's that 'reputation' button - Wilconqr is really a very good guy indeed.....;):D

16. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Sorry TA152, :eek: I didn't mean to hurt yours or Eric's feelings. I just thought that Martin might have his own Air Force with all the aircraft pics he usually posts.:D

17. TA152

TA152 Ace

Well he has his own airforce and navy he plays with in the bathtub but other than that he is not rich or anything. Just a broken down BMW :rolleyes:

Actually the night version of the FW-189 was a good find for the books. I wish that one site that gives the kills against Russian aircraft by the night unit flying in Russia also gave the type of aircraft flown when the kill was made so we could see how many Russians it shot down.

wilconqr likes this.
  18. Martin Bull

Just watch your step, ta......

[​IMG]

....or I'll set the cat on you ! :eek:

19. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

nice cat I say :D

What website that be ?

20. Martin Bull