Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Most Stupid Weapon of WWII

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Doktor D 1313, Jan 11, 2007.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I was going to post the Defiant and then I saw your post................great minds always thinking alike. Cheers

[​IMG]

I guess they did not expect to chase any planes. Just play sittin duck.

2. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Japanese Balloon Bombs:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It was a nuclear weapon developed in the 1960-70s. It's deployment was opposed by then president Jimmy Carter but deployed later by Ronaldus Magnus.

It had a smaller blast effect but generated a large amount of radiation that affected an area much larger than the damage caused by the explosion for longer period of time and had better penetration by radioactive particles of buildings and AFVs. I remember the Soviets had a caniption fit over it (but then, they did over just about everything back then) but I don't think they ever fielded one. It was mostly considered a tactical weapon but could be delivered by ICBMs.

4. TA152

TA152 Ace

The Boulton Paul Defiant made me think of the Fairey Battle used during the Battle of France. What a death trap for the crews. :(

5. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Why is that a stupid weapon? It's pure genius from a design point of view, required hardly any resources and whilst it wasn't used much it did work. I've always thought it was pretty smart. The panic the first (and only) casualties it caused brought about at least justify the expense of several pads of paper and a small bomb.

6. redcoat

redcoat Ace

One of the lesser known British campaigns against German industry was Operation Outward which made use of cheap, simple gas balloons filled with hydrogen.
    The balloons carried one of two types of payload.
    A trailing steel wire, intended to damage high voltage power lines by producing a short circuit,or three incendiary devices - six pound (2.7kg) flexible socks filled with flammable material - that were intended to start fires in forests and heathland.
    From 1941 until 1944 a total of 99,142 Outward balloons were launched: 53,343 carried incendiaries and 45,599 carried steel wires.

Communications intercepted by the British soon showed German fighters were trying to shoot down these balloons. This encouraged the British to continue with the campaign as it was felt that the harassment value on German air defences alone justified Operation Outward. It cost the Germans more, in terms of fuel and wear and tear on aircraft, to destroy each balloon than it cost the British to make them.
    Outward's greatest success was on 12 July 1942, a wire carrying balloon struck a 110,000 volt power line near Leipzig. A failure in the overload switch at the Bohlen power station caused a fire that destroyed the station.

Operation Outward is considered to have been successful in terms of the disruption it caused to both the German defence system and in the damage it caused in relation to its total cost to the British

von Poop likes this.
  7. Seadog

Seadog Member

The nuetron bomb was designed to have a minimal blast area, and a large, short term radiation zone. The idea was that items with large amounts of metal, such as tanks, would be irradiated and put the crews out of service. Then NATO troops would move in, clean up the contaminated metals, and the cities would not be affected as much. I think the big fear was that it reversed the normal order of targets. It was designed to attack people and allow buildings to survive. Mentally, the world could not handle that concept.

8. Slipdigit

What was that single shot pistol that was supposed to be disposable? The intent was to drop them to underground fighters. They were to then use them to kill Germans and take their better weapons. It was a dangerous fiasco. Was it called the liberty pistol or something like that?

9. Seadog

Seadog Member

I remember more than one, but what I can recall, there was one made of stamped metal that was atrocious.

10. Slipdigit

That would be it.

11. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

The Liberator.

[​IMG]

Fantastic info Redcoat, I'd never heard of that before, going to have to look into it more, and possible use more commas in my next sentence, maybe...

12. Slipdigit

Bingo! That's the pistol, an unmitigated piece of crap. No wonder I couldn't find it when I searched for it- Liberator and not Liberty or Victory.

13. Seadog

Seadog Member

I was beaten to it. I don't think I would call the Liberator a piece of crap, but an interesting weapon without a need. Over a million were built in 11 weeks at a cost of $.26 ea. The army built them as a pychological weapon and then gave them to the OSS. Came in a cardboard box with ten .45 ACP rounds and a wooden dowel to eject cartridges. Interestingly, it took less time to make the pistol than it did to load it. Since the barrel was unrifled, it had an effective range of 25 ft. and repeated use would keyhole the barrel. Average time of manufacture was 7 seconds and it took ten to load. The OSS never mass dropped it into europe for the anticipated uprising, but did ship many to China. No known case of it being used in combat. Complete setup worth about $4500 today.

14. Seadog

Seadog Member

Some other OSS weapons of note:

Sedgley .38 glove gun, single shot, fired by squeezing the body while the barrel stuck out between the middle two fingers.

A .22 single shot Stinger that was extremely compact.

The most popular was a modified HiStandard HDM .22 with a long silencer that was a great assignation weapon.

Interesting is that a followup to the Liberator was made by the CIA for use in Vietnam. Called the Deer Gun, it was aluminum, used a 9mmx19 round, and had a plastic clip that functioned as a safety until ready to use and then became the sight. The barrel unscrewed to load and once again, used a rod to eject the cartridge case. 1000 were made at a cost of $3.95 and again, they were never used.

15. TA152

TA152 Ace

Thank you Sea Dog that made me recall that at the time the people in charge of Europe and the USA thought they could have a "limited nuclear conflict" with the Warsaw pact and not do alot of damage to Europe. The nuetron bomb was one of the wonder weapons in their wonder world. :rolleyes:

I bet one of those Liberators is worth alot of money today. If they added a silencer to it then I would feel better using the thing but a .22 round is not likely to kill anyone right off the bat.

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Other ideas that went into the garbage can:

Hajile

http://jwgibbs.cchem.berkeley.edu/CFGoodeve/hajile.html

Hajile was a "Deceleration Device" — in other words, the world's first retro-rocket.The Admiralty's Directorate of Miscellaneous Weapon Development was actually working on a request from the Army, who wanted a better way than parachutes of getting heavy equipment like jeeps safely and quickly from an aircraft drop to the ground.

DMWD's answer was to put the equipment in a cradle fitted with a number of rockets that would fire a few metres above the ground, bringing the cargo to a soft landing, A plummet on a wire would trigger the firing. Unfortunately, things never quite went exactly to plan...

Panjandrum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjandrum

The DMWD had been asked to come up with a device capable of penetrating the ten-foot high, seven-foot thick concrete defences that made up part of the Atlantic Wall.The proposed device was composed of two gigantic wooden wheels, ten feet in diameter with steel treads a foot wide, joined by a central drum fitted with the explosive payload. It was to be propelled by sets of cordite rockets attached to each wheel.

Given the results of the trial, it is perhaps not surprising that the project was scrapped almost immediately over safety concerns.

17. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Ahhhh, the Great Panjandrum is my favourite since I saw a film of it some 30-40 years ago, cartwheeling along the beach, and dying off in a gret belch of smoke and flame. Had to be seen to believe it, how anyone could think of that major piece of fireworks as a weapon is beyond sanity :D

18. Seadog

Seadog Member

.22 pistols are great for covert operations. Compact, and they are easy to silence. A well placed shot is very effective in killing. Larger rounds require larger weapons. Most covert experts prefer the .22 due to it being easy to conceal and it can be incorperated into numerous innoculous objects.

19. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

My Grandpa told me about the testing of the Panjandrum, said it was funny to watch.

20. Joe

Joe Ace

What about the welrod?