Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

***Must Read***Free Fire Zone, Etiquette and Just Plain Common Sense

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Slipdigit, Apr 30, 2009.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Carl, while you and I will never be able to agree politically, I would not be able to hold my head up in polite company if I compalined about your ideas. It is possible, I hope, to have a gentlemanly disagreement without being disagreeable. I think it is important to view as many sides of an issue as possible, if not to seek agreement, then to at least know what the debate is about. To be honest, some of the posts I read of yours early on had me re-thinking my decision to join this site. Once I realized that it was my responsibility to make my thinking known, I felt able to accept your point of view, as long as I was free to express my own. To my way of thinking, while some of the debate has been heated, I've come to rather enjoy the interplay among the Rogues. I have been in contact with several whose ideas either challenge my thinking or support it. You are one of them, and I thank you for that. Beyond the FFZ, I have learned a tremendous amount from trolling the various threads and filling in my admittedly sparse knowledge of technical aspects of WW2. Unless a post is just plain mean-spirited, my support of free speech wouldn't allow me to quiet someone's opinion.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Now that we're back, I do not want us to return to old habits, so I am bumping this thread as a reminder to one and all.

3. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I read it again and still agree. Hopefully the time away, and the new server, will encourage the most prolific FFZ posters to reapply themselves to the notion of respecting other members and to not resort to name calling to make a point.

Respect and courtesy is the key

4. fast1

fast1 Member

yup respect and courtesy is always the way to go, otherwise the forum might lose potentially good members[​IMG]

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I have read the etiquette and plain sense circular, and agree with all mentioned therein....

However I think abolishing the FFZ because of a few (well ok, more than a few) knuckleheads will only penalize the vast majority of the rest of us who enjoy and properly utilize the FFZ in the way it was intended. Ban or abolish the violators who cannot play well or interact with others in a sensible way. Don't use the military axiom of penalizing the whole unit over one douche bag who can't be on time for formation or shine his boots properly....We can't do the "blanket party" to keep our fellow Rogues in line, so that is up to the mods. If need be, create a panel of select and willing Rogues to review charges against wayward and pain-in-the-a$$ Rogues, Coolerize the violators, ban them or what ever, but don't take away our FFZ!

If something HAS to be banned, consider the banning "what if" zone....That has caused more that it's fair share of grief by inviting trolls, nazi-wannabes, freaks, a$$ wipes and a lot of immature SPR and BoB worshippers onto the rolls....There is an entire forum dedicated to the what iffers and alternative history types. They can go there and what if and why not to their hearts desire. I sort of enjoy the what if zone from time to time, but only if subject matter is legitimate. And I have learned why some things did not happen and why in WW2, so to me it is a valueable section that gets misused a lot. Maybe the mods could review threads for their worthiness or legitimacy, and flush the ones in need of flushing.

Just my opinion of course.

6. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Slip,

Wonderful thread, unfortunately were human and fail to look bigger picture sometimes... (that being candor and respect) Thank you for the reminder and encouragement.

"Great is our admiration of the orator who speaks with fluency and discretion."
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

7. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

Just a question? What if it's a regular villain like Osama or Saddam? We can rip on them, right? I think its a universal statement that the head honcho in Iran kinda sucks at history.

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

That is where the "just plain common sense" comes into play.

9. Lady Prime

Lady Prime Member

All I will say is this and then I'll shut my mouth:

1. My grandmother told me that the two things you do NOT discuss in public are religion and politics. If you do discuss either, you're asking for a fight, plain and simple.

2. Pick and choose which battles to fight. It's better to walk away from many situations than it is to fight it out.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox.

10. Colonel FOG

Colonel FOG Member

In memory of Jeff Sheephead's "Sermon on the Mount" wisdom, I will put this thread back to the forefront, while fully admitting that I can be a "smartass" at times, though it's all intended in jest. Moreover, I laugh at my own foibles often enough to create a balance that suits me. And now for something completely different...

Oddball, My (Media) Hero!!
    Kelly's Heroes Oddball - Negative Waves - YouTube

Thanks to a multiple personality disorder, I can play both characters in those scenes. LOL

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This could help us to drown some Somalian pirates when they get flooded by the Red Sea waters.:D

12. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Good bump....First time I've read it, as obviously I realised it didn't apply to me.
    Oh hang on....How do I get a smiley on the end of that....Oh bugger...Oh just imagine me smiling instead.

13. Colonel FOG

Colonel FOG Member

I am imagining a big smile on your face. Must feel wonderful for you after having searched for it for so long... nyuck nyuck nyuck