Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

N00b question... its about transports.

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by costello89, Jan 10, 2009.

1. costello89

costello89 recruit

Hi guys.

Just bought this game a few days ago and have started playing.

Can't workout how to get my troops off a ship once it has reached its destination.

In my case i loaded a couple of infantry onto a transport in the south of Italy so i could send them into the war in Ethiopia. Got them onto the ship ok and then sailed it to my friendly port. When the ship got there i couldnt work out how to unload the troops.

The provence i was trying to unload the troops into was under my control and did have a beach.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

Thanks.

2. Joe

Joe Ace

If you put the ships into a port, then they should automatically get out. Maybe there was already troops in the Provence and you could not see the ones you unloaded?

3. costello89

costello89 recruit

Hmmm maybe. although i thought i checked that so im not sure. also what does it mean anything if the dock icon (the anchor) is grey insted of light blue? didnt know if that had something to do with it or not.

But thanks for relplying anyway.

4. costello89

costello89 recruit

Oh its all good.

Tried it again in a new game and it worked fine.

Thanks again tho.

5. tikilal

tikilal Ace

Glad it worked out.

Just a couple of pointers about ships. If the beach looks like it is in the sea zone check the province it woull show beach as one of the terrain icons, there are some areas in Ireland that look like they have beach mut dont.

Make sure the range of the ships base to the target is with in the range of the ship.

The light blue vs grey of the docks, ports and airbases indicates that there are units in that facility. LB is in use grey is empty.

Grouped ships are only abel to go the distance of the ship with the shortest range. ie if you put lvl I subs with lvl IV you only get the range of the lvl I for all of the grouped subs.

6. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Also with transporting divisions, you need one transport flotilla for every 1 division of land units. The easist way to move the troops from port 1 to port 2 is simply clicking your transport task force, load the land units, then simply go "sea transport" and click on the desired port, the ships will sail to port 2, unload the troops and then automatically return to port 1 (their home port).