Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

National World War 2 Museum in New Orleans

Discussion in 'Living History' started by A-58, Feb 18, 2009.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The National World War 2 Museum in New Orleans, formally known as the National D-Day Museum, has anyone visited it yet? I am a Charter Member of the museum as well, and have made many trips there, reading every article in the place. I am collecting up artifacts that I own and plan to donate them so the public can learn more about the greatest struggle in our time. If any of you Rogues happen to visit New Orleans, you must make every effort to go to the museum. As mentioned earlier, has anyone been there yet, and if so, what did you think of it? What could make it better?

2. texson66

texson66 Ace

I would certainly like to visit the museum , but it is out of my normal range of travel. I dont think I could sell a trip there to my wife....France, sure. Sigh. So it may be a while.

How did the museum do with Hurricane Katrina btw? Have they started to expand the museum?

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

It's doing very well, no damage from the hurricane. In fact, some of the curators and vets snuck in through the perimeter and barricaded themselves up in the museum to keep it safe from the looters. That's dedication for you. There are expansion plans in the works, land aquisition, donations, artifacts, etc. Don't worry, it'll be there for quite some time.

4. texson66

texson66 Ace

Thanks for the update, A-58!

5. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

I plan to make a trip there and also the monument/mall in Washington.....

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Yes, those will be nice trips. Maybe we could organize a WW2F mini-convention there one day, and raise some money for the museum too. Who knows?

7. fricker66

fricker66 Member

Charter member here as well. Would like to make a trip there in the coming years. Looks like things are moving along nicely with the expansion plans! I would like to take in a DC trip first to experience the WWII memorial.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Just don't plan to stop in on Mondays. The museum is closed that day! Plenty of other things to do in town though, so hop in your car, it's only about a 12 hour ride!

9. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Important info - thanks!

10. fast1

fast1 Member

I don't visit that place but thanks for a nice story guys, I hope someday I can pass by that museum. Thanks

[​IMG]

11. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

12. fricker66

fricker66 Member

I wasn't aware of their brick program. I may need to order one of those!

13. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Yeah, that seems like a good idea.

14. Bella

Bella Member

Hey there everyone!

I have actually been to the National WWII Museum. It was the D-Day Museum when I visited so I'm not sure how much it has changed. I believe I went there in 2000 when I was stationed at Kesler AFB in Biloxi, MS for Tech School. I really enjoyed the museum but I left thinking I could have spent at least two whole days there. I would love to go back and see all the changes that have been made.

15. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The museum covers all theaters of operation by the US now, including the homefront, not just D-Day at Normandy. You could spend a couple three, four of days in there easily, but you have to find something else for the ole lady to do if she's not into WW2 as much as you are....

Also, if anyone is interested in Civil War things, the Confederate Museum is right next door.

16. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Wow, I see a road trip in my future....

17. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Oh that sounds like fun.....The Texans carry guns....

Cant we all meet at the Imperial War Museum in London, Drew shows us round, then on to RAF museum Hendon with Martin as tour guide, then I suggest quick visit to Nelsons flagship The Victory. I could do that one I know some sailors, then on to Razin at the Tank Museum Bovington...Up to Liverpool for Blacksnake to show us round Battle of the Atlantic museum, and up to Scotland for Gordon to show us his ruins and Hadrians Wall.
    Maybe finish off with wtid45 showing us around the battlefilelds of Islandwhanna and Rourkes Drift he has built in his mums back garden.
    Ireland then....no they are still clearing up the sites..
    But Virgin Atlantic will do you all a good deal or British Airways. Come on June the 9th, the one day it doesnt rain.

Seriously though...just looked on site...great museum, long overdue.

18. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

I arrived at the 'D-Day Museum' in 2004, the day before Hurricane 'IVAN' arrived in New Orleans. It was closed unfortunately, so I missed it. I think it was early days in the development of the place.

John.

19. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

I arrived at the 'D-Day Museum' in 2004, the day before Hurricane 'IVAN' arrived in New Orleans. It was closed unfortunately, so I missed it. I think it was early days in the development of the place.

John.

20. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

John.