Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

**Need Help** 44th Field Artillery Battalion

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by MPoorthuis, Apr 6, 2016.

1. MPoorthuis

MPoorthuis New Member

Hi all,

Can someone help me get information about the 44th Field Artillery Battalion (e.g. after action reports or journals)?
    Doing research on this soldier: http://abmc.gov/node/407706

His brother was killed a month earlier, so sad...

Best regards,
    Max

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The 44th FA Bn was part of the 4th Infantry Division, which you may already know. I have not found any AARs or journals of the 44th FA Bn online. Of course, the NARA would have documents as well as the Eisenhower Presidential Library.

I found a blog with some personal accounts from the 44th FA Bn, including an account of their D-Day landing. It may be worth trying to contact the owner of the blog.

It also may be worth trying to contact the 4th Infantry Division Association to see if they can assist you in honoring one of their own.

Here's a link to a webpage dedicated to Lt. Carl D. Meacham who was wounded on 11 July 1944, the same day Pvt. Clark was killed:

And another account of a 44th FA Bn veteran's experience -- this time on D-Day.

The website LCT Stories has them being transported to Utah Beach on D-Day:

The 44th seems to have supported the 22nd Infantry Regiment quite a bit. Here is a website which has transcripts of the 22nd Infantry's AARs and Journals. It may have some useful information.

I realize this stuff isn't what you were looking for, but I hope it may be of some help.

3. MPoorthuis

MPoorthuis New Member

Thank you so much for your help! :)