Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New Recruit Here

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by tjcarp, Mar 13, 2015.

1. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Biak , Hello :) and thanks for the tip !! I did try Fold3 during a free trial period with no success . Couldn't afford the membership at the time but may look into again thanks to your tip :) it just may be worth it ! Debbie

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Just found this in a thread http://www.ww2f.com/topic/5578-b-17-bomb-group-info/

"if he was in the 100th then this is very cool as today of all things there is a memorial going on in the Erzegebirge and over the weekend. 100th group flying close to the German/Czech border was massively assaulted by heavy Fw 190A-8's(sturm) and this was their first mission along with their proteective staffeln of III./JG 4 which flew the Bf 109G-6. to aid the US forces was the 55th fg and the 339th fg. A wild and ugly battle took place with many lives lost on both sides. i think I am wrong but at least 12 B-17's of the 100th were shot down and at least 2 B-17's from the 95th bg. September 11, 1944 has stuck out in my mind for several years until 2001 came along which marks an other deadly combat we would all like to forget.........
    back in Germany/Czech veterans from both sides are there to commemorate the battle and tributes to the fallen.

It is an older posting, last post 5 years ago, but mention of Messie Bessie and the 100th bomb group
    Anxious to see the pictures.

3. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Biak I looked up the Messie Bessie and according to the crew list my dad was not listed as part of the crew . The photo of the plane that we have just says Bessie . The post from Takao with the photo of a plane is the same plane that is in the photo my dad had . I will be posting my photo as soon as my son shows me how to do it !!! I am looking into the VA to see if I can get my dads medical records ? I am hoping there will be info in his records as to where he was injured and the hospital in England where he was treated . Wish me luck !! Debbie

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Don't waste your time looking for any "Bessie" associated MACRs, as this plane was a demonstrator and never left the States. After the war, it was scrapped at RFC Walnut Ridge.

B-17F-65-BO, Serial Number 42-29722
    Delivered Denver 2/9/43;
    Great Falls Army Air Base, Montana 2/22/43;
    88th Bomb Group, Walla Walla Army Air Base, Washington 2/24/43;
    Geiger Field, Washington 3/3/43;
    Rapid City Army Air Base, South Dakota 3/26/43;
    Geiger Field, Washington 8/15/43;
    325th Base Unit, Avon Park Army Airfield, Florida 6/12/44;
    4117th Base Unit, Warner Robins Army Air Depot, Georgia 6/20/44;
    215th Base Unit, Avon Park Army Airfield, Florida 3/8/44;
    2137th Base Unit, Hendricks Army Airfield, Florida 5/10/45;
    325th Base Unit, Avon Park Army Airfield, Florida 5/23/45;
    RFC Walnut Ridge 9/4/45.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

How'd I find it? Got lucky...

Tried the usual Google tricks looking for photos with all the common bombers and drew a blank.
    Then started searching through some of the well known aircraft lists. Started with the B-29, and went to the B-17 here:
    http://www.91stbombardmentgroup.com/Aircraft%20ID/FORTLOG.pdf
    Like I said, it's pretty thorough at 739 pages.
    Used the search feature for Bessie(there are about 5 or 6)
    "Bessie the Jap Basher" was lost before Mr. Carpenter's enlistment
    "Messie Bessie" photos were found prior and did not match up.
    "Barrel House Bessie" photos were found prior and did not match up.

And then I came across 42-29722...One Google search later gave me this:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1401241993/B-17F+%26quot%3BBessie%26quot%3B+-+colours+-+orange+and+-

Woomp there it is.

Also found this

http://cgibin.rcn.com/jeremy.k/cgi-bin/gzUsafSearch.pl?target=29666&content=
    CONUS is the CONtinental United States

Biak likes this.
  6. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

7. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Attached Files:

8. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Hello Takao , Here are the photos I said I would post . Hope we did them right !! The first photo is the plane I was talking about . The second is William ( Bill ) Scott . The third is my dad ( he is in the middle ) don't know who the other 2 are and the third photo we think is my dads brother . Hope this helps in the search ! Thanks for all your help so far :) you guys are amazing and this site is very helpful !!! Sincerely , Debbie

9. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Hello TD Tommy 776 :) Thanks for the great info !! I did not have my dads serial number . Thanks to you I now do :) Yes SGT David W Carpenter is my dads brother and my uncle and your information is correct . He was so young :( So many of our young men made that saccrafice and they should be honored everyday . I posted some photos under the Requesting Information forum in General Discussion . A member there found the bomber plane I was talking about :) You all have been so wonderful with your help and I am so glad I choose this site :) Thanks so much for the information on my uncle . Now I can honor him in the journal scrap book I am making for our family reunion :) I will keep you posted on how my search goes in finding my dads records :) Sincerely , Debbie

10. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Hello Everyone :) I am so excited !!! We found my dads discharge paper !!!! We had it all this time :) Found an old trunk of moms that was damaged in the Idaho flood . We never thought to go through it and was going to trash it but I held on to it ! I went to our storage unit today and something propelled me to go through that trunk :) I found a lot of stuff that was not to damaged and dads discharge paper was in there :) According to this paper he was stationed with the 249 AAF Base Unit at Lowry Field , Colorado . He was honorably discharged as a Staff SGT on Nov 1st , 1945 . He was a Airplane Mechanic Gunner 74g ? He received his AAF Air Crew Member Badge ( Wings ) on Dec. 24 th ,1944 . Battles and Campaigns were , Normandy GO 49 1945 , Northern France GO 33 1945 and Air Combat Balkans 19 Apr 45 . He attended Airplane and Engine Mechanic school , Aerial Gunner school and AAF Gunnery Instructor school . He left the USA on May 20th , 1944 and arrived in England on May 22 nd , 1944 . Does anyone know what component means on the discharge paper ? My dads say's ERC ? I am so grateful for all the help , tips and awesome responses I got on this wonderful site !!! Thank you all soooooo much !! This is one very happy girl :) I will remain a member . I am hoping someone knew my dad :) Sincerely , Debbie C

11. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

ERC means Enlisted Reserve Corps

Component basically refers to which of several routes a service member used to join the military.

Such as

National Guard
    Army of the United States. (regular army)
    Officers Reserve Corps
    Enlisted Reserve Corps

12. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Thanks Pacifist :) I am still learning the Army lingo !! I was a Navy wife for 18 years !!

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

There is much here to be deciphered. It would be a real advantage if you could post a picture of the discharge paper. It's easier (at least for me) to understand. Looks like your dad was heavily involved in the war. Looks like he was entitled to three combat awards on his EAME (Normandy, Northern France, and the Air Combat award).

14. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Hello Everyone :) Good news , I found my dads discharge paper today !!!!! I am so excited I just had to share :) I found it in a old trunk that mom had . We were going to trash it because it was damaged from the Idaho flood , but something made me keep it !! I dug it out today from storage and found a treasure trove of stuff including dads discharge paper . I would like to share some of the info with you :) My dad Thomas J Carpenter was a Staff SGT in the AC ? He was with the 249 AAF Base Unit at Lowry Field , Colorado . when he was discharged on Nov.1st , 1945 . He enter the Air Corps on Feb 15th , 1943 at Fort Lewis , WA and became active on Feb 22nd , 1943 . He was a Airplane Mechanic Gunner 74g . He earned his AAF Air Crew Member Badge on Dec. 24th , 1943 ( wings ? ) Battles and Campaigns were ; Normandy GO 49 1945 , Northern France GO 33 1945 , Air Combat Balkans Apr. 19th , 1945 . Service schools attended were ; Airplane and Engine Mechanic , Aerial Gunner and AAF Gunnery Instructor . He left the USA on May 20 and arrived in England on May 22nd , 1944 . Continental service 2 years 2 months 11 days , Foreign service 6 months . I find it ironic that my dad was stationed here in Colorado and that is where I live :) If anyone knows anyone from the 249 base unit please share ! maybe they knew my dad :) I wish I knew if he was on any planes as a gunner ? And I wonder what he did in France and the Balkans ? I want to thank you all for all the time and help you gave me in my research . You all are awesome !! I will be checking in from time to time :) Debbie C

15. LRusso216

I put these two threads together. Much of the information is duplicated. I think this will reduce confusion.

16. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Hello Lou , Thanks for putting them together :) I am so not good with the computer !! I agree with you about the information being confusing . I am having a hard time understanding it . The paper is very old and did suffer some water damage from the flood . I am surprised it survived !! It was a major flood in Idaho back in 73 I think when the Teton Dam broke . We lost just about every thing . I will try and scan it and have my son post a pic of it . Did you see my other pics we posted ? Yes it looks like my dad received a EAME Ribbon with 3 stars on it , the American Theater Ribbon , Air Medal GO 289 Hg 3 BD Jul, 14th, 1944 , OLC to AM GO 651 Hg 3 BD Sep.20th, 1944 and the World War 2 Victory Medal . I copied that all from the paper . Don't know what half of it means but it sounds impressive to me :) I am just so proud of him right now but also sad . This has been a long road of discovery , pride , sadness and closeure . Wish I could have told him how honored I was to have him for a dad . Wish I could have said goodbye :( sorry it has been a emotional day . Thanks for all you do :) Debbie

17. LRusso216

Looks like he received an Air Medal. Here is the ribbon [​IMG]

It looks as though he was awarded a second Air Medal which was indicated by an Oak Leaf Cluster (OLC). It looks like this [​IMG] It was worn on the ribbon.

The medal itself looks like this [​IMG]

Incidentally, you can request replacement medals and ribbons here http://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals.html#air-force

18. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Lou , Thank you so much for the info on the medals !! I was wondering how to replace them :) you have been a great source of information for me !! I appreciate it so much :) I was also wondering if there is any way to get a photo of my dad when he was in the war ? Did they take photos when they were done with boot camp or when they finished their training schools ? I have photos of my husband when he finished boot camp along with the whole company and his photo when he made Chief . I would love to have a photo of my dad in uniform to put in the shadow box I am making :) Thanks again :) Debbie

19. LRusso216

I'm sure many photos were taken but unless you or a relative have them it's almost impossible to get them. I have some of my father which were sent to me by mother, otherwise I wouldn't know where to turn.

20. tjcarp

tjcarp Member

Thanks Lou I am sure my mom had some and they got destroyed in the flood :( I sent a request for the medals :) they will look real nice in the box ! I am still hoping the National Archives can put together his record for me even though they were destroyed in the 76 fire . If not at least I have his discharge paper :) Talk to you soon , Debbie