Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New Top Gun movie Maverick

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by CAC, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

More Money more Money two more years...

2. Bolshevik

Bolshevik Active Member

Why on Earth do we NEED a " Top Gun 2" anyway?

Hasn't the world been saved already by our intrepid heroes?
    Haven't they proven that they are better than anyone else once already?
    Hasn't freedom and liberty been shown to be superior to Godless Communists? And haven't they shown that they get all the sexiest women as well, unlike their Soviet counterparts still trying to sleep with Olga, Ekaterina and Oxana but failing miserably because they don't get paid enough and their Russian passports won't get their girlfriends/wives out of Russia?

Haven't we shown that Tom Cruise is far too bloody old to be a fighter pilot of any kind, despite millions of dollars in plastic surgery and hair colours/ hair replacement therapy?

Why the hell do I need to see this film at all? The first one was sophomoric, will this one be purely sophomoronic?

Who the hell cares whether Maverick lives or dies?

I really do wish that Cruise would get involved with a Scientology Death Cult and give us all a break.

He's underworked and overpaid. Even our Nicole thinks he's too short with a small dick.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2022
  3. Takao

Takao Ace

I bet you absolutely hate October 10th.

4. Bolshevik

Bolshevik Active Member

My fellow Rogues...

October 10th, 2022,...
    A date that will live in infamy- the United States people and their psychological sensibilities will be suddenly and deliberately attacked by a Tom Cruise movie...TOP GUN 2.

Join forces with me to BOYCOTT this magnificent waste of celluloid. Tom Cruise needs to be woken up to the fact that he's a religious cult head and a bad example of an actor, an American and a serviceman all rolled into a package that should have been lost in the mail a long time ago and consigned permanently to the DEAD LETTER OFFICE.

Cruise is a poor example of charity, he's a Godless cultist spruicking Scientology and God only knows what else in his crusade to become the biggest ego among a whole host of big egos.

Give your ticket money to charity instead.

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Someone wrote this about Cruise and i thought they nailed it...

"Tom Cruise always acts like he's trying to win over his girlfriend's father"

A-58 and Takao like this.
  6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I'm no Tom Cruise fan. I think he's borderline batshit crazy and a bit deluded. No, acting is not "as hard as fighting in Afghanistan" as he infamously stated in an interview once.
    That said, I went to see the movie yesterday with my wife, two sons and their wives, we arrived two hours early and it was already sold out, so we bought tickets to see it today (Monday-6 June). We then proceeded to pub crawl downtown Chattanooga, so it wasn't a wasted trip, had a great time. Many great craft beers consumed, some really fine dark stouts by smaller breweries. My wife has a new favorite, "Gotta get up to get down" by Wiseacre brewing in Memphis, (description) "This solid little stout pours a dark brown tinged black with a nice head of brown foam that settles to a thick ring, thin dusty layer, and shows some nice light lacing. Nose of subtle coffee, dark cocoa, and subtle cream with touches of roast and light char. Flavors follow the nose with dark roasted malts, cream, brulee, dark coffee, and dark bakers chocolate. Nice mouth feel; medium full body, light carbonation, smooth, lightly coating, and finishing with a sweet bitter malt note."
    Movies are about entertainment, and I have not spoken to anyone that has seen the movie and didn't think it was great. I'll give a full review after I've seen it. I also saw a Jocko Podcast last night with Dave Berke and they seemed to think it pretty good and accurate as well. Dave Berke was a USMC F/A-18 pilot, Top Gun graduate, Instructor and the head Instructor of the school. He's qualified in the F/A-18, F-16, F-22 and was the first qualified pilot and operational squadron leader for the F-35.
    It's a bit long but filled with great information:

A-58 and Kai-Petri like this.
  7. Takao

Takao Ace

I say, on October 10, 2022, we all go to Japan, and help them celebrate their Tom Cruise Day.

CAC likes this.
  8. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I think it's about time to watch "Risky Business" again.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Just a 944....Where it belongs...

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

*SPOILER ALERT*​

Has anyone who has seen Maverick realised how much the story is a copy of the original Star Wars?
    Even the relationship between Maverick and Rooster...Reflects Luke and Obi Wan...Young man is (initially) trained by the man who killed his father...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Racing through the ravine, instead of Death Star cannon, there are Sam sites...Darth Vader is the two 5th generation fighters...And Hangman at the end instead of Han Solo...
    What do you think? Cruise says he has spent 35 years trying to think of an appropriate story line for the sequel...Did he just rip off one of the biggest stories in movie history? (Genius if he did)...

RichTO90 likes this.
  11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Kelly McGillis may not be in the film but this photo shows she hasn't been forgotten...She is only 4 years older than Cruise...
    [​IMG]

As for Cruise, does anyone remember:
    [​IMG]

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The Jury is out where Kilmer's contribution is concerned...I dont think he added anything (I don't think most of the cast added much) meaningful to the movie......[​IMG]

Others may disagree...

13. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

They have a Tom Cruise Day over there?

14. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Well, as promised here's a spoilerless review of the movie. It's really good and needs to be seen on the big screen, preferably IMAX. The action sequences are amazing, and you can tell it's not CGI. There is some CGI (for instance no flying F-14's outside of Iran) but it is done flawlessly and the way it is inter-cut with live action shots makes the end product totally believable. The story line is decent, the references to the original seemed natural and not forced. There are enough references to the original that the biggest fans of the 1986 film won't be disappointed.
    It's no Casablanca, but what is. I'd give it a solid eight out of ten.
    What I really like is that even the experts are impressed with attention to detail but, someone with no technical knowledge can enjoy it just as well. I went with both my sons (veterans), my wife, their wives and one grandson (8yo). The guys liked it, the wives liked it and the kid loved it.
    I had previously posted, in post #66 a link to a Jocko podcast where one naval aviator, Top Gun instructor gave his views. Apparently, there was some extremely low level flying required that the Navy was uncomfortable doing. They brainstormed it and realized that the number six solo pilot with the Blue Angels did that type of flying regularly, so they brought Frank Weisser, Naval Aviator and Blue Angels soloist and he flew those scenes. Here's an interview with him:

Btw, he got along well with and liked Cruise. I also never realized that the maneuvers the Blue Angels do during their shows take/took thousands of hours off the airframes. Weisser was tasked with figuring out how to reduce the stress of the maneuvers without detracting from the performance. Good stuff.
    I can't give the details on Kilmer without revealing spoilers, but I think it added to the storyline. I also think it was a decent thing that they included the star who was battling throat cancer, no man left behind and all that.

Bolshevik, despite the issues you have with Cruise over being short, having a small pee-pee and whatever he did or didn't do to Nicole, this was an entertaining movie.

Biak likes this.
  15. Takao

Takao Ace

Since 2006. He has visited Japan more times than any other Hollywood personality.

16. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Sort of like how France was crazy for Jerry Lewis I guess.

Was it that "The Last Samurai" thing or they just really really like Tom?

17. Takao

Takao Ace

Sure that is part of it. And Tom Cruise is a big fan of Japan...Like Tom Hanks is with Greece.

A-58 likes this.
  18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Thought of a couple of more comparisons that (prove) Maverick's second half is Star Wars:
    Han Solo - Han/gman
    Rooster's wingman's targeting laser malfunctions and Rooster has to "feel" the target - Luke turns off his targeting computer and "uses the force".
    Obi-wan says "use the Force" - Maverick says "Talk to me Goose"
    Both have to fire/drop a bomb into a 2m x 2m box and everything goes up...

I reckon i can think of some more...

19. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Others have woken up...

20. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Overall, I liked the movie and would watch it again.

USMCPrice likes this.