Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

NFL

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Poppy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. belasar

belasar Court Jester

This a bad start, Aretha Franklin took longer to sing the National Anthem than it took to fight the siege of Fort McHenry!

I know she is a Icon, but my god!

*Update*

One for one so far, Detroit comes back to win a low scoring game.

Fingers remain crossed for game two.

* Update, Update*

Dallas outlast's Washington in a pretty tight game, two for two.

Don't think I will be able to stay awake for a third update. :)

*Final Update*

Steelers too much for a depleted Colts, three for three. Think I can get a spot on one of those pre-game shows?

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Aretha is borderline nuts. She is surrounded by yes men, who can't tell the emperor she has no clothes. Or too many furs...How many minks had to die?...Omar the tent maker must have been busy.
    The Dallas game epitomized the NFL. Great entertainment, and shows why the NFL is king of all sports.

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Well rogues the Eagles are officially dead. Looks like the rebuilding certainly will take place. Hopefully we tank the rest of the year and get a high draft pick. Need WR and DB help. On to next year.

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

My condolences. Y'all can still play spoiler...What a game...There was only 1 guy predicting a GB win. AR is a really good QB...He performed well even after suffering an injury. ..The ice fishing tent is new to me...i like it...betting it will become a "thing".

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Not going to win the division to be sure, if Dallas stumbles, either NY or Washington should pick up the crown, but its not impossible for Philly to squeeze out a wildcard. Granted it would require aliens to kidnap about 6 teams in the NFC. KC-Denver game was awesome. Seattle getting pole axed was a big surprise. New England is looking mortal and Oakland might be the giant slayer.

6. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Thursday night, not a pretty win for Dallas and frankly thought they were gonna lose through the first 3 quarters. They certainly played that way, while Minnesota played their hearts out during much of the game. Dallas was due to lay a egg in a game and hope this was it. They can secure a playoff spot this weekend if either Washington or Tampa Bay loses this weekend. Do not see Washington losing, but there is a even money chance that San Diego may upset Tampa. My eyes will be on NY-Pittsburgh game of course.

7. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Enjoy it. Who would of thought that a rookie QB, a rookie RB and a suspect defense would have the best record and be the cream of the NFL. Its a strong squad this year.

8. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Oh I'll ride this nag till she drops alright :).

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

i see these new stats, which really should have an asterisk. Not fair the 18 gamers should be compared to the 16's.
    Aren't they playing 18 games per season vs the 16 games they used to play.

Like i said- Gerry Jones is the guy who makes the Cowboys...I remember Staubach and #33. Wore their jersey as a kidlet in Canada...The Steelers were next. Good times.

10. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Actually they only play 16 'official' games now, though they talk about expansion to 18 games sometime in the future. Then again they want to expand the number of teams, probably to 36 and possibly place one in London, maybe Mexico City as well. This years dip in prime time ratings may give them pause though despite scheduling 4 games (up from 3) in London next year.

When a lad they played 12 games, but it seems hard to imagine a 18 game season without significant changes in roster size and if they plan on real expansion where will they get the talent?

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Aargh, long day...thought NFL played 2 more regular season games than they did in the 70's /80's. i dunno. bedtime

12. belasar

belasar Court Jester

The floating bye week makes for some confusion as we have a week '17'. The original concept for the bye was to compensate for the extended season, but now its as much about trying to compensate for Thursday night and out of the country exhibition games as it is for the extra games. Even so though a few teams each season seem to get screwed with very short weeks to prep.

13. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I wonder how deep the new CBA will go. If anything, the league has shown that adding a Thursday night game has not really added to their ratings. The Sunday menu is still within a few percentage points and solid, but Thurs and Mon have seen considerable drops. I know some of the games are dreadful on those nights but a football fan tunes in.

14. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Not sure, but will likely muddy the waters. I'm not dissing the Players association, they are no worse than the League Office on that account, just that of late every new CBA tends to throw some confusion out that has to be sorted out over the next few years.

A football fan will watch, if he can get the game. Currently all MNF is premium cable/satellite and much of TNF is as well. About 5 years ago I cut the cord because the costs simply did not fit my budget. In the last year I hooked up again since retiring. Still I can afford only the basic package and refuse to pay another $20.00 a month to get 3 channels that would allow me to see two extra games per week for a third of the year.

If the NFL has anti-trust exceptions, then all the broadcast games should be available on basic television. I don't mean every game played of course, though that would be nice, but there should not be black out days like Monday and Thursday. They even have one this Saturday blocked out to non subscribers to NFL Network. Granted not a game i'm overly interested in, but still.

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Had a preconceived theory, which was only slightly off -due to Dallas hitting the post in the NY game.
    America's team (Dallas) is 12 and 1 (almost), America's team liberal (San Fran) is 1 and 12. hmmm. Sport imitates life/politics?
    Yes, colin kappernick should move to Canada (Cuba). He could be an aide to trudeau.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

So, there is an extra week where team/player totals compete with old school guys?

While i'm here- should oj's records be erased, or have an asterisk...i feel evil should not be recognized. Erase oj from the books.

17. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I have no recollection of last Sunday nights game, are you sure it happened? :)

As to OJ Simpson and his records, there is a minor debate on sports talk over the 'juicing' era and the records of various players caught up in it. Currently managers and even the Commissioner who benefited from the hot bats are now being selected for the Baseball Hall of fame. The question being why should they profit indirectly from the players who may be overlooked/banned from HOF.

That alleged game may come back to me if Dallas wins 2 of the next 3 games and secures the Division and Home field through out.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Err, there is a crossover from oj simpson to MLB juicers?
    OJ (juice) was a nickname, based on his given name... the juice was in reference to his initials (OJ).
    Doubt there were any/many steroids during oj's days in the NFL. Probably a lot of pill use though.

19. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Watching LA at Seattle. Seahawk's should have to forfeit simply based on their projectile vomit inducing uniforms!

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Liked the Rams uni's.
    Really hope da Bears game is broadcast here. They are calling for coldest game in league history?
    Hope it is not cancelled. The best games are played in the worst weather.