Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

NFL

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Poppy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

As they always have :phlrt:

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member Patron  

Wait...you mean that a deflated football is not more important than a murder trial. But social media says I should be very upset with Bill and Tom.

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Looks like some prosecution evidence will not be allowed, like:
    The guy who Hernandez shot in the face is suing H,
    the text the dead guy sent indicating he was with H (NFL) before turning up dead,
    and possibly the video of H carrying a gun in the house the day of,
    as well as the texts between him and his gf in code asking to hide evidence.

So, it's quite possible H could walk away from this case...He will prolly lose a lot of money to the face shooting though.
    Then there is the double(?) drive by homicide, after some guy spilled a drink on H, where the rental vehicle used was found in his uncles garage 2 years after. Not even sure if they are prosecuting on that case.

5. KJ Jr

I will never understand our legal system

6. TD-Tommy776

:headbash: :insane:

Words escape me...

7. Takao

Takao Ace

and

and

It's not that hard when you think about it.

The texts sent by Odin Lloyd(aka the dead guy)
    3:07am "U saw who I'm with(?)".
    3:22am "Nfl."
    3:23am "just so u know."
    Could have gone either way...Is he fearful for his life or is he bragging? Had this evidence be declared admissable, it certainly would have been hotly debated as to what Odin meant with these texts.

That the man shot in the face is suing Hernandez, and the double murder in Boston are considered prejudicial. Both cases are on going, and H has not been convicted in either case. As such, the Odin Lloyd case must, for better or worse, be able to stand on it's own merits. This is not "guilty until proven innocent."

AFAIK, the video of H returning home minutes after "shots reported" has been declared admissible. How clear is the "gun" in the video? I don't know.

All in all...The evidence that has been thrown out is all circumstantial...None of that evidence proves that H was the shooter, and that will be the crux of the case, who fired the fatal shots.

8. TD-Tommy776

Your comment goes to the text at 3:23am which I agree could be just bragging. However, as Poppy indicated, the text at 3:22am places him with Hernandez just before his death. That is, unless Odin had another acquaintance that he would call "NFL". Whether Odin thought he was going to get capped or was just bragging isn't as important as where Hernandez was at the time of the murder.

Agreed.

If that is the case, I'm a bit less flabbergasted. As for the clarity of the video, I presume the prosecution will have had the video quality enhanced as much as technology will allow. That version of the video will probably not be shown publicly until after the trial.

Yes, this does not mean the prosecution won't be able to make their case. However, it is important to remember that circumstantial evidence is not lesser evidence:

Most cases are built on circumstantial evidence. Even direct evidence doesn't prove anything. Eyewitnesses can be mistaken or lie. It's the totality of the evidence, including circumstantial evidence that the jury uses to decide the case.

Perhaps there is another reason that I am unaware of which is why the judge threw out the text messages. If so, then that's the way things go. Maybe my initial reaction was because I recently watched the file The Star Chamber. :cool:

Poppy likes this.
  9. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

This case is so confusing. It's becoming a bit of an annoyance to me.

10. Takao

Takao Ace

Although the reason they were thrown out has not been publicized. Two theories have arisen. The prosecution was not using the texts to place the two men together, IIRC, they have plenty of evidence to show that. The prosecution was trying to use the texts to show that Odin feared for his life, when even his sister had testified that she thought that Odin was bragging. And, the state police were using a warrant for a specific phone with a specific number, instead the confiscated two phones, an Ipad, and two IPad Minis - that is a no-no and the evidence gleaned from those extra devices had to be thrown out.

That is true...But mountains of circumstantial evidence did not convict OJ Simpson or Casey Anthony. Of course the flip side of the coin is that circumstantial evidence did convict Scott Peterson and Thomas J. Capano.

The Star Chamber...Michael Douglas, Hal Holbrook, and Yaphet Kotto...Awesome movie.

11. TD-Tommy776

Well, in the OJ case, one could argue that it wasn't the evidence that failed to convict him. It was incompetent prosecutors and jury nullification. Discussing the other cases would put us in danger of completely veering off topic. :cool:

12. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Hopefully Gronks recent spike didn't deflate the ball.

13. KJ Jr

Good game so far.

14. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

True that KJ Jr.

15. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Well, I'm done watching this game for the night.

16. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

17. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Now.......I'm kind of reconsidering my decision a few minutes ago now that I just checked the score.....

18. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

dang.....I turned off the TV too early. That interception probably sealed it.

19. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I do not mean to rub anyone in the face or anything at all, but man what a game! Go Pats!!! Now lets see if any deflated ball accusations come forward. ;)

20. KJ Jr

Awful awful call by Carroll. You have Lynch in the backfield at the 1 and you throw a slant to the middle of the field. Awful.