Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Obama has won

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by cross of iron, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

"If I didn’t have this gun, the king of England could just walk in here anytime he wants and start shoving you around. Do you want that? Huh? DO YOU??"
    -Homer Simpson.
    :D

I like guns, be nice if they were tolerated more here from my own personal point of view (though I also understand their curtailment), but let's be honest - no Militia these days, no matter how well organised, can realistically face down daisy-cutters ;).

But isn't this all taking a turn towards the apocalyptic again? Extreme examples often being a sign of rhetorical steam running out.
    As the thread title says; "Obama Has Won", that's the only fact - all the rest is merely speculation or gnashing of teeth isn't it?

Cheers,
    Adam.

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Adam as I see it the thread is a good one for us Americans to vent our spleen.

personally I'll gladly give the new pres his chance in the limelight and see what "changes" he is going to provide the American public and hopeful it is in our best interests and not his own for some personal gain. And Martin, Bama should invest in some good body armor. the plan was foiled already for his demise but itwill try to be repeated.

some more interesting bits from an interesting though somewhat laughable web-site:

Top Breaking News, Headlines, U.S., Local News

3. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Really, what are you on? I used the word carefully, call it what you will. What the hell is 'nothing to commit to except a difference of opinion' mean? Are you saying to me that all I have expressed is the fact I don't agree entirely with the comment? Well, yes, that is probably fair. Want me to express it better? Fine, the 'thank whitey' comment makes me doubt the authors motives, makes me suspicious of his beliefs and makes me question the value of his argument. To me it seemed unnecessary, it makes little sense and potentially goes a step too far (the suggestion that everyone of a certain colour should 'thank' everyone of another colour is just as repulsive as the suggestion that one should be guilty because of the other). I thought the word 'dubious' covered this, clearly a second rate sci-fi program disagrees, well woop-de-doo, my heart bleeds.

I hope I have made myself more clear about the way I feel about the comment, just because you are incapable of understanding a fairly simple word because of the way you have been programmed by your media, doesn't mean the rest of us can't use it.

Really, what the hell are you on?

4. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Yes
    You "clearly" & "deliberately" used a vague, cheap, non-committal word.
    Between Virtually & Dubious anyone would be hard pressed to find another more useless thing to say.
    You replace dubious with doubt ... vague (pound for pound) with vague as an explanation.
    Did I make myself clear?:confused:
    If you want respect,(as a great writer/philosopher/journalist) ... (Oh and how you do), stay away from both.
    Either is a red flag for sincerity, and an intellectual "death-Sentence". :D

Attached Files:

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm not sure of what your concern is Stefan as to whether or not the "thank whitey" statement was actually made but I will address my comments as thought that was your intent. If I am incorrect, let me know.

Racial slurs against blacks is a major taboo around here and as time goes by, more and more innocuous terms are being described as "racists",unless they are directed toward whites and white males specifically. Read this article from a paper from a nearby town.
    Greenville Advocate | Youth game in Evergreen turns ugly
    This is not uncommon. Cracker is a derogertory term used by blacks toward whites.

I can loose my job for using the wrong discriptive toward a black, because I am white, but call me a cracker, well, heck, I'm the one who is racist because I asked you not to play R-rated songs where children will be present.

I'm not asking for things to go back like the were 40 years ago. I just want equal protection.

Now, I am off of my soapbox.

6. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Sorry Jeff, the quote is as follows:

My point is that whilst equality is the aim, the 'thank whitey' thing is a step too far.

I see what you are saying Jeff, but as I see it saying 'thank the whites' is as bad as saying 'whites should feel guilty.' See what I mean?

7. RAM

RAM Member

I like guns too.
    I like to spend a Sunday at the firing range just blasting away.
    I buy guns to protect me against east european criminals and wolves close to my house (no joke!).

But I don't buy guns to use them against the government of my country.
    I don't like the leftwingers in charge now, trying to ban US made cars just to mention one example of limiting our freedom.

However, people are pissed off and they will be removed by next year election, not by guns.

RAM

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I agree with everything you say, RAM. I love my country and my government, a whole heepa bunch. But I still don't underestimate the power of a large group of clueless people with the ability to vote and what charlatans they can put into office.

And with this post, I bid adieu to this thread.

9. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

It is neither vague nore non committal, all I was doing was expressing the fact that the phrase in question makes me doubt the authors motives, his meaning and his argument. Nothing vague about that, I am simply saying that the phrase made me wonder what he was getting at. Not trying to say anything deep or intellectual, simply the fact that the comment made me wonder about the article.

Nope, sorry, you are making absolutely no sense whatever. Your second sentence makes no sense, what on earth are you on about. I'll say it again, just to try to make it clear to you, I was expressing the fact that the statement in question made me doubt the authors meaning, motive and so the validity of his argument. Nothing deep, simply that I felt the statement was out of place and wrong. It caused me to doubt what he was saying, it was a dubious statement. Sorry if you can't handle that, maybe that says more about you than me.

If I wanted your respect I would start to seriously question my sanity.

What and a total inability to write in intelligible sentences, using paragraphing and half decent syntax isn't a 'red flag' of any sort or an 'intellectual death-sentence?' Sorry bud, I'm very open to criticism, constructive or otherwise but generally only from people who can string a sentence together that makes sense from time to time.

10. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Ohh ouch, being lectured by a 3rd grader.

Constant use of
    Euphemisms
    Double Speak
    Distancing Language
    Double entendre
    Ambiguity
    & Subterfuge
    does not make one intelligent, or word wise, only sneaky, and totally reliant on scare tactics and buzz words. Seek the help of Za or VP to advance in that area.
    Since stefan finds it necessary to quote the dictionary to me, I'll give him a "free" micro course on writing.
    The ten worst words to use, from most to least
    1 Really
    According to who?
    2. You
    Who really knows anybody?
    3. Feel
    Who cares?
    4. Think
    Who cares?
    5. As
    According to who?
    6. A lot
    According to what?
    7. Sort of/Kind of
    Everybody's got one
    8. Like
    According to who?
    9. Just
    An order
    10. Used to
    Who cares again?
    does stefan say Really? Hmmmmmmmm
    Wonder why publishers ignore stefan? Don't
    Unless one is talking to a less than 100 IQ, being "fancy" is at best ...
    Self-Deception.
    Bye Bye :D

11. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

Ram,

No, I am most certainly NOT joking. The Second Amendment was widely regarded a last ditch provision for the defense of our liberties in case the government became tyrannical. Just read the arguments in the Federalist Papers about the ability of the militia to thwart potential government dictatorship. In theory, Americans have not only the right to overthrow, by violence if necessary, a government that ignores Consti5tutional provisions, but an outright duty.

It's rather ingenuous to ask why elect a government that would would limit our freedom. History is full of democratically elected governments that did just that. No one can predict who will turn out to be a dictator just waiting to usurp power by fair means or foul. And yes, we would arm ourselves to fight our government if it violated the principles of the Constitution. Remember the legitimacy of the US government rests on the consent of the governed, and that is only valid so long as the government abides by the Constitution.

And yes, the armed population far outnumbers the US Army and Air Force combined. The military of this country swears to uphold the Constitution, not obey a president or other personage in government. An American dictator could never count on the Army, Air Force, or Navy obeying orders to fire on American citizens who are rebelling to maintain Constitutional principles. Portions of the military would be likely to join the citizens in case of a conflict between the population and the government. So forget the idea of a battle between the ci9tizens and the US military, it's not going to happen.

As for protecting us against an outside enemy, who knows? The attack on 9/11 is not significant since no force was able to protect us on that day; even you should realize that. The armed militia, however, does continue to serve us well. I can cite an example which I personally witnessed. On the day that the police officers who beat Rodney King were acquitted, I was a resident of Los Angeles. My neighborhood was close to the center of all the violence. When my neighbors started being assaulted by the rioters, they called 9/11. They were told by the despatchers that no police were available to take any calls, no matter how serious, and that they would have to deal with the problem themselves. Within hours of the start of the trouble, my neighbors and I had armed ourselves and were patrolling our neighborhood, keeping the rioters out and protecting the citizens and their property. On the third day, a police car with four police officers came by and asked what we were doing walking around with rifles and shotguns. One of our number quietly replied, "We're doing YOUR job." The police did not say another word, just drove off.

What you claim might be true of Norway, but things are a bit different in the US because we have a different heritage.

12. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

As exemplified by whom? You, I suppose?

Yes, and the Patriot Act, while troubling isn't half as restrictive of our freedoms as the media would have you believe. In any case, the Patriot Act is still being tested in the judicial system and not faring as well as the government might hope. We Americans don't immediately jump to the conhclusion that everything the government does is a direct assault on our liberty. We are willing to wait and see if the checks and balances of the system work as they are supposed to. So far, they have by and large.

As for ignorance , well yours, in relation to the situation in this country, shows up quite frequently, but that sure hasn't kept you from offering your opinion, welcome or not. What can I do that you cannot? Well, I can walk into my local hardware store and purchase a rifle, have it wrapped up and take it home. Can you do that? Never mind whether you would want to, or not.

Un-huh. You have in the past. And we have heard the same from Miquel B. In the current thread, I have just fielded remarks from Ram suggesting the Second Amendment, as I have described it, is a joke.

13. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Wow, I think that this is getting out of hand, perhaps we should either get back on track or just leave this thread. It does seem to be getting a little bit heated, next will be the personal attacks.

14. Firefoxy

Firefoxy Dishonorably Discharged

I think i caused that by mentioning the gun laws in The United States of America opps!. But i did not start the mcdonald's thing.
    I'm with Tomcat here,get back on track.
    Arn't most of you blokes and ladies Adults, sometimes i think i'm the only Adult here:D

15. Tomcat

Who ever gave you that impression, I am really a child stuck in a mans body.:D

The Macdonalds thing was my bad. lol.:D

Don't worry about the Gun laws, it is an American thing. I have known a few Americans personally and they have all been very defensive when it comes to their laws and constitution.:)

16. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Skunk, two things, 1. I'm not a third grader. 2. Why don't you grow up? Seriously, the day you can write in full sentences and actually make sense I'll start to take your posts seriously. Until that day, you can keep waffling on but ultimately all you are doing is hammering another nail in the coffin of your respect. Enjoy.

Yup, amongst others ;)

Sorry, who is talking about the media says, I have been looking into some of the provisions of it. Interesting, yeah, you are clearly more free than we are.

Yes I can, well, will be able walk into the gun shop around the corner to purchase a rifle as of next month when my FAC comes through. My housemate already has, as have most members of my mess and so on. Sorry pal, little more practical freedom.

As for whether opinions are welcome, I don't know if you have noticed, this is an internet forum. Just to explain what that is, it is a place where people from all over the world express their opinions on a variety of subjects. They work on the basis that all opinions are welcome to be discussed like adults. Now, if you don't welcome the opinions offered there is a very simple option, close the page and don't look at it. So none of this 'if this opinion is welcome' nonsense, if you come here to debate things it seems pretty silly to complain when people disagree.

Or do you just enjoy flipping your lid at every student who makes a witty remark about MacDonalds or grown up who has maybe disagreed with you before and so is clearly attacking you again?

I have in the past as has Miguel, however we haven't on here, we aren't arguing gun control with you so why do you feel the need to bring it up? Why do you feel the need to attack people who are quite obviously looking to learn? Seriously, take a chill pill and if you want to discuss gun control (which you quite clearly do) then take it somewhere else rather than messing up a perfectly good thread by barking at the moon.

Miguel B., redcoat and Tomcat like this.
  17. Tomcat

Here here, to your entire post mate.

However on a more childish not, I'm no adolescent, I'm all growed up, I know my A's, B's and on occasion a few C's.:D

Stefan likes this.
  18. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Oops, sorry Tomcat, I'll change that ;)

Then again, you are an Aussie ;)

19. redcoat

redcoat Ace

The part I don't like is the assumption that a non-American doesn't have the right to be critical of anything American. As a proud Brit, if an American wrote something critical about Britain I would probably disagree with them, and try to explain why I considered them to be wrong, but I would never question their right to be critical if they so wished.

20. chocapic

chocapic Member

I think it takes a critical pain in the rear to write such a mix of hysterical bitterness and resent.

I for one pity Mr Adkins and sincerely hope Mr Obama can cure his reversed white guilt syndrom LOL

Stefan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.