Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oh nothing really just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Jan 23, 2013.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I thought the poon's were filled with Styrofoam* or something?

*Don't know the English word for that, sorry.

CAC likes this.
  2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Did I tell anyone one month ago I sat in a P47 ?

Sorry but I'm still a bit beside myself. Not saying my excrement smells like Roses and tastes like Chocolate but, it was more of a sensation than a feeling.

Slipdigit, OpanaPointer and CAC like this.
  3. Biak

IMG_3218.jpg

And a 1942 P51.

Half Track, Slipdigit and CAC like this.
  4. OpanaPointer

Who dah old guy?

5. Biak

Dat me !
    Almost felt like I was in my twenties but climbing around the Thunderbolt felt more like the old man I am.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Cool jacket…I mean plane.

Biak likes this.
  7. Biak

My uncles Cooper Type A2 jacket his wife bought him back in the late 70's to replace his original. Many moons ago while visiting he ask me to "Try this on". It fit like a glove. Then he said, "I'll leave it to you".

If the house catches fire I'll get it out first.

Slipdigit and CAC like this.
  8. OpanaPointer

Have I posted my bomber jacket and snoopy cap?

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Nope…go on…

10. OpanaPointer

Gotta dig 'em out. Non-standard for the most part, but "Hey, Snoopy!" is heard.

11. OpanaPointer

Biak and CAC like this.
  12. Biak

Now that's scary right there !

Kinda cool the names match !!

IMG_3298.jpg

OpanaPointer likes this.
  13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Love the blue singlet...A staple in Australia. Used originally for shearing...They are ubiquitous these days...
    [​IMG]

Although on the wane as they are known as "wife beaters" - or "wife bashers".
    Too many domestic violence losers have been caught wearing one...
    So you might see this:

[​IMG]

OpanaPointer likes this.
  14. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

CAC,

USNS Spearhead is JHSV-1, which is the ship pictured. JHSV is the abbreviation for Joint High-Speed Vessel, their actual hull classification is T-EPF (Transport-Expeditionary Fast). The author, Sascha Brodsky, apparently didn't do all her homework. It was originally intended that the Spearhead class would operate V-22 Ospreys, they have since stopped operating Ospreys because they are too heavy and heat from the engines damages the flight deck. Additionally, the ships are somewhat unstable and have difficulty operating in rough seas or at high speeds. Most operations have to be conducted at sea state two or less. Top speed of 43 knots can only be achieved at state 3 of less. In sea state 4 speed is limited to 15 knots and at higher sea states it basically is lucky to hold position. An additional obstacle to operation in heavy seas has to do with weak structure. JHSV-1 suffered a damaged bow from heavy seas in 2015 necessitating $500,000 in repairs. The first five ships were to be returned to Austal to have their structure reinforced at a cost of up to 1.2 million each. All uncompleted ships were modified during construction.
    So, you have a high-speed transport that can't operate at high speed except in a relatively calm sea state. They aren't actually operated by the US Navy but by civilian merchant marines from Military Sealift Command. They have a crew of up to 46 but normally operates with a crew of 26, the crew berthing is considered relatively luxurious with the crew having staterooms, while berthing for embarked troops is quite austere. The EPF's ramp can only be operated in calm sea states such as in protected harbors, this constrained planned use by SEAL's to launch SDV's. They tried to work around by launching the SDV's with the ships crane, but in that case the divers had to be loaded using support craft that can't be launched above sea state 2. Then they floated the idea of using them to replace higher value ships for anti-piracy patrols. One of the problems is they are unarmed, though it was planned to embark a security team, and if the water is rough, their high speed considered a defensive plus is largely negated.
    The ship in the article T-EPF-13 USNS Apalachicola is the 13th and latest vessel in the class.

Despite the recent hype, I've recently seen several other articles on the class, they appear to be marginally capable for any mission and can't effectively complete the mission they were originally designed for. The lead ship was moved to "Inactive, Reduced Operating Status" on 1 October 2020 and is currently moored at Philadelphia Navy Yard. IMHO, the big military industrial complex is trying to hype these ships, despite their deficiencies in order to keep the cash spigots open. We need to be spending our defense dollars on actual equipment that works and increases our capabilities.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  15. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Hell, they've been called "wife beaters" over here since I was a teenager, and that's been a looooong time ago.

CAC likes this.
  16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Well there you go! But does it go back as far as Australian shearing goes back? Theres a history assignment in this!
    [​IMG]

17. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Interesting info...
    My thinking is more that this tech needs to be worked on until it is perfected. Some say that the US Navy cannot compete now with China's...or that China can replace its vessels quicker than the US...No doubt the US is having some recruiting problems (as we all do)...The only way to sport more vessels (without recruiting and training) is to make them autonomous...Just like our aircraft, you can have one manned ship and many "slaved" off this ship. Should the shit hit the fan, many US Navy ships are going to be attacked in short order...Would you rather they be manned or unmanned? Which type can be replaced the quickest? Autonomy IS the future...This platform obviously isn't there yet...if the design is wrong then put the autonomous tech on a different ship!

18. OpanaPointer

[​IMG]

19. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

George A. Bond & Co. Limited was established in 1915 by George Allan Bond,[1] an American who came to Australia in the early twentieth century. He started importing women's hosiery and gloves. In 1917 he began manufacturing hosiery in Redfern, Sydney. In 1918 he moved to Camperdown and began also making underwear.

upload_2023-2-27_21-14-56.jpeg upload_2023-2-27_21-17-5.jpeg

Invented by an American at least…Maybe the Marines in Australia picked up the name? Would like to get to the bottom of this…

20. OpanaPointer

The term wife-beater reportedly became synonymous for an undershirt after a 1947 criminal case where a Detroit man was arrested for beating his wife to death, and newspapers printed a photo of the "wife beater" wearing a stained undershirt.

Sleeveless shirt - Wikipedia.

CAC likes this.