Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oh nothing really just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

The drone footage on the tornadoes is really good especially the drone flying in thru a blown out wall across the room and out thru another blown out wall. Then out over the parking lot and roads and the up for a high over view. They should make larger high speed ones for border servailance. I'm sure their building one for police patrol, with high power cameras and night and infra red vision.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

One of my friends has a drone that refuels itself in flight and determines its course based on weather. Its currently doing testing in Australia. They are counting the number of times it circumnavigates Oz without human interference. Next test will be to Capetown and back without stopping or getting lost.

Did I mention he's a freakin' genius?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Biak and CAC like this.
  3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Any pictures of this drone?

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Thanks to the messed up weather patterns we hit 42 degrees today and it brought back memories of making 'slush-balls' growing up in Ill-Annoy.

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Probably going to hit 100F here in Darwin today...ugh...

6. Prospero Quevedo

These things are getting so sophisticated and inexpensive, my nephew bought one that transmits to your phone easy to fly and remembers where it came from so you push a button and it comes back on its own. Comes in a nice case for the drone and controller the drone rotor arms four, fold in to make it more compact for storage, all for a hundred bucks
    On my wish list, lol

OpanaPointer likes this.
  7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Nope, he'd shoot me if I tried. Or his buddy would break me in half. (I call them "BERT AND ERNIE", they's a pair.)

8. Prospero Quevedo

They have shows and commercials showing the drones getting quite large and flying deliveries. The only thing is a truck can carry hundreds of packages their going to need hundreds to thousands of drones to do the same amount of work delivery people can do, but the companies would save huge on salaries, and insurance premiums. As things get more automated thousands of more people are put out of work. They should start building interstellar ships and start colonizing the other planets. It is the next frontier and some place for millions to explore and conquer. Research, mining, etc.

9. Prospero Quevedo

Wonder how well those automated fast food places will work, kinda wanna see how well they really do and if fast food will really all go automated the pre prep industry should increase by a bit but not much as most of that is largely automated already. I read most McDonald's foods are pre prepped there about 70 to 80 percent cooked to reduce cooking time. They already have machines that fill the drink orders by machine the order program fills cups with soft drinks and machines add the right mix and amount of condiments. It shouldn't take too much to make a machine that can cook a beef patty and assemble a burger and wrap it it should provide an increase for machine manufacturing and companies that install them. However this will surely add more increase on the power grid that is really a problem in CA and other states that have their power grid nearly maxed out. We've had increased rolling black outs during summer when the draw is maxed ever since we list San Onorfre nuclear power plant. And the state hasn't really done a lot to replace it other than more solar collection plants and solar one but we really need more plants like solar one the plant doesn't come near the amount we lost with Onorfre. Also what happened to the three plants, nuclear power plants the government, well bush approved. Like have they even broken ground on those and when will they get online.

10. Prospero Quevedo

The stupid Union saying raising the minimum wage was going to creat thousands of higher paying jobs but reall it eliminating more jobs. The food industry said they could of automated and got rid of thousands of workers but the low salaries made it more economical to pay the low salaries. Now with salaries more than doubled they now had a reason to automate and eleminate thousands of jobs pretty much for ever the next thing computers will be teaching the students thousands of teachers will become unneccesssary. Like they say how they will build robots to fight wars what will happen if we don't need soldiers and other people in most of the military or police force we have like a couple of million soldiers and police what will happen if that number is just a few hundred thousand and those hundreds of thousands of jobs are gone. There's lots of jobs now as companies that were running skeleton crews are now going back to full time operations but that will only last a short time then what. For me hope to get my casting business going and maybe sub out work to my newphews and niece. And maybe my grand nephews and such.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

13. Biak

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Your close to it mate...You can sit and watch whilst talking sh#t with a family member or mate...or put the radio on and listen to it whilst fixing your car or doing something else. Its a TEST...Five days makes it a true test, not relying on luck. After five days the best team should emerge.

What i keep hoping is that Americans can see that the batting is far more involved than baseball. There are many many shots a batter can play depending on where the ball is...front foot shots, back foot shots...defensive and attacking shots. A batter will train for most of their lives to make all these shots second nature...A batter gets a fraction of a second to decide the line and length (plus the condition of the pitch - how the ball will bounce off different sections of the pitch). I liken it to a sword master of old...
    As for bowling, you can have "express pace" - Medium pace with swing - or spinning the ball so it moves in a different direction once it bounces.
    In cricket, its legal to target the batter...Hitting him is good as it rattles the batter and keeps him off his game...you can even target the head with a "bouncer"...The ball is hard and heavy, it can easily break bones so padding is essential.
    I know you Americans are sports fans...i think the sophistication of the game should be right up your alley, but it keeps getting knocked back before a proper investigation is done. I can tell you when i watch "American baseball player reacts to cricket" they are blown away by the depth of the game (and the catches without gloves).

Cricket is another sport invented by the British...And another sport we teach them how to play properly.

Every country makes their own bats...these are some popular bats.
    [​IMG]

There is a smaller competition call "one day" cricket...a broken down game of cricket heavy on scoring runs.
    A "big bash" league has started...that game goes for about 5 hours...maybe a way in to watching the "long game" of Test cricket.

Some balls used (Australia's Kookaburra balls are used throughout the world)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  15. Biak

You Aussie's are a harda$$ lot ! Aiming at the batter, or whatever y'all call them, with a croquet ball doesn't seem cricket ?!

I'd be more interested in American football if they'd forget all that helmet, pads and offensive/defensive safety stuff.

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

An interesting comment on NFL...The origins of NFL makes AFL seem like child's play. People DIED playing the old form of NFL. It was close to being banned (after a child died playing it) - Some serious negotiating and undertakings of safety saved the game that still plays today.

As for targeting the batter...Well this goes back to Don Bradman's time...He retired with an average of 99 (that means he scored on average 99 runs every time he went out to bat -to put some context the next best ever average was/is 61) Bradman's highest score in an innings is 387! He was a freak of the game and lauded throughout the world as easily the best player ever to don the whites.
    Anyway, the English couldn't get him out so devised a plan to hit him...this would become known as the "body line" series...Many Australians went down with head injuries...Bradman just hooked these head high balls out of the park and kept winning. Ever since, targeting the batter has become accepted, but if you do it against a good batter, he will punish the "loose ball" and hit you out of the park.

A picture of Bradman (note no helmet) teaching the Poms a lesson.
    [​IMG]

My brother met "The Don" many times through his job, and secured an autograph for me from who is generally accepted as the best sportsman in history. No one comes close.

17. Prospero Quevedo

Wow never knew there were so many bats for cricket, wonder when they'll make aluminum alloy bats like baseball here.

18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

That was tried out in 1979…An Australian bowler came out to bat with an aluminium bat…much to the derision and laughter of the crowd and commentators…The ICC banned them…bats should be made of wood, preferably Willow. The condition of the ball is a factor in cricket, metal bats can damage them prematurely…it wasn’t a good look or sound either.
    There are many more bats than above…Most of the classic bat makers were still around when I was a kid, but many have fallen away to be replaced by new brands. They come in different sizes, thicknesses, weights and lengths…some have scoops taken out of them…Every cricket batsman has his favourite bat…

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  19. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I am not a fan of aluminum bats, but understand why they are used in youth leagues-they don't break.

When I was in playing in the Babe Ruth League (13-15), I had a boy on my team that broke nearly all of our bats, to the point all we had left was a Jackie Robinson model. None of us liked the Jackie Robinson because it had such a large diameter handle and was hard to use, especially if the batter was accustomed to using a bat with a slim handle, such as a Johnny Bench, Mickey Mantle, or Al Kaline model.
    After that, our batting struggled. We eventually figured out what he was doing and changed the he held the bat, telling him to point the birthmark at the pitcher instead of back at his face.
    I dont know what we would have done had he broken our last bat.

CAC likes this.
  20. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades