Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Operation Bagration

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by Epsillon, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Epsillon

Epsillon Member

Ok I finally picked my final question and POVS.

I cant copy and paste them here because I have to hand it in to turnit.com and if I paste them here my essay will show up as plagiarised.

To do the responsibility of the Stavka through out the whole battle is going to be too hard to do in 4000 words so i decided on the plans and tactics used by the stavka for the operation.

POV1) The deception plan with the help of the incompetence of the OKH

POV2) the fast penetration and encirclement strategies used exploited the incompetent german defenses.

POV3) the planning for the war ; reconnaissance activity and the partisan movements to destroy german rail roads

POV4) The use of the air superiority

POV5) they increased cooperation between the Stavka and the front commanders ; exploited german weaknesses (pursuing the forces)

POV6) The plans were useful but the soviets just had a lot of forces.

any suggestions/ ideas.

Do u think this is narrow and it is suitable for a 4000 word essay.

2. Chuikov64th

Chuikov64th Member

I have to agree with most of the posts here. I do think that the German high command had something to do with making it truly a disaster. Hitlers "festung Vitebsk" order assured the destruction of the Luftwaffe division there almost to a man. The same went for Bobriusk where 18000 landser were sacrificed. I think that the German high command can be faulted correctly for the faxct that they still had not come around to thinking that the Russian army at that time was not the one they had fought in 1941. They were arrogant.

The Russians completely decieved the Germans, partly due to the stripping of german recon aircraft for other fronts. And from strict camouflage procedure and troop control such as not so much as a nose in the open during the day. Tactical planning played a large role also. The steamroller was well coordinated, the Russians had learned a lot about combined arms. The first day the infantry went forward after a tremendous barrage (3 hours with over 10000 tubes) and they were supported by the new ISU-122s and 152s. They mopped up what was left of the German lines quickly and then the tanks broke through.

Za Rodinu likes this.
  3. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I am the worst speller EVER!

Za Rodinu likes this.
  4. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

I think it's all right as it is. Later on I'd be grateful if you could mail me (and I'm sure others too!) your final essay.

What's that turnit.com? I had never heard of it!

Cheers!
    Za

5. Epsillon

Epsillon Member

Yes I will email you guys my final essay.

Turnitin is used to make sure we don't plagiarize. It checks your works with Internet sources, some scanned books and other student works. It will highlight any continuous 6 words that are copied and it shows it to the teacher.

Our teacher just for fun handed in a pargraph of wiki once and it showed up 100% copied on several books and a large amount of internet sources lol.

6. Epsillon

Epsillon Member

Check your PM soliniksp and Za Rodinu :)

7. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I keep seeing this soliniksp guy... Who is he? :D

8. Epsillon

Epsillon Member

I cant beleive I spelled your name wrong again.

For some reason I prnounce it like that lol.

Does it have a meaning or is it just a name?

9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

:D

Its pronounced Slo-nik ( baby elephant ) the SP stands for St. Petersburg ;)

:D :D

10. Epsillon

Epsillon Member

Ok, now I wont spell it wrong again. Hopefully :rolleyes:

11. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Baby what?

Guys, here is Slava's contibution for the Rogue's Gallery.

[​IMG]

:rofl:

Sloniksp likes this.
  12. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

:rofl: :clap: :rofl:

13. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

On 11 May, Rokossovskii submitted a second plan for 1st. Belorussian Front operations proposing this time the elimination of German troops at Zhlobin, followed by an offensive in the direction of Bobruisk-Osipovichi-Minsk. The striking feature of this revised plan included the double attack on Bobruisk. One along the Northern bank of Berezina, the second along the southern bank, with a supporting attack in the direction of Parichi-Slutsk-Baranovichi.

Stalin himself objected to the double attack on Bobruisk, seeking instead a single 'main blow'. Rokossovskii refused to consider only one attack. During the argument, Stalin twice sent Rokossovskii into a neighbouring room 'to think it over', and on the second occasion Molotov and Malenkov followed Rokossovskii into into his immediate exile. Both urged Rokossovskii to fall in with Stalin's suggestion- "Do you know who you are arguing with?" they asked. Rokossovskii stuck to his guns, stating that "if Stavka insisted on a single attack, he would ask to be relieved of his Front command.

After the 3rd presentation of his 'report' he convinced Stalin, who announced that he liked generals who knew their job and their own mind- There would be a double attack on Bobruisk.

14. Chuikov64th

Chuikov64th Member

And Bobriusk was where one of the grand slaughters of the war took place. From what Ihave read it was pretty ugly for the Germans. They were forced to charge headlong into the waiting Russian lines and it was a turkey shoot. Many thousands were gunned down as they ran across the fields.

Anyone know what "Bobriusk" means? A clue. In english. Bobr town.

15. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

A human wave attack by brilliant Germans? Some in here might find that hard to believe. ;)

16. chocapic

chocapic Member

Bagration was one of the largest scaled and most ambitious combined arms operation of WWII.

It showed how efficient the Red Army was in 1944.

Even if we all know that Germans lost the war because they caught cold and they had not enough bullets to kill all the Russians Stalin threw at them :D.

Za Rodinu and Sloniksp like this.
  17. Epsillon

Epsillon Member

I mentioned the exact same thing in my essay outline. Some books actually say Zhukov convinced Stalin but Zhukov himself said he was not involved.

18. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Speaking of which, welcome back!

And how did you do on your essay?

19. Chuikov64th

Chuikov64th Member

What choice did they have? Pushed to the east side of the river into the city and surrounded, being bombarded by aircraft and artillery every minute of the day it made little sense to stay there. The Russians had seen the results of operation Kormorant and were in no mood to take prisoners.

9th Army was trapped by the 1st Belorussian front, about 40000 soldiers.It appeared to happen in 2 phases, First the Russians killed about 10000 on the east bank and captured another 6k or so. The rest fled across the river into the city on June 27th. The next day they tried to break out, did escape the cordon but were run down by mechanized infantry. Only about 15000 made it to the German lines. 25000 roughly were killed in suicide attacks or hopeless defence.

20. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Oh I absolutely agree!

The point I was making is that the Russians too had such attacks in acts of desperation and all were done in the first 6 months of Barbarossa.