Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Opinions on Aryeh Nusbacher

Discussion in 'Military History' started by T. A. Gardner, Mar 30, 2008.

1. hokie_1997

hokie_1997 recruit

I'm watching him/her right now and it sounds like a 12-year old boy giving a book report ('The B-29 was a very, very big airplane, with an awful lot of guns.') History at its lowest common denominator.

How he/she has a PhD from Oxford, let alone an academic position is beyond me. Smart move getting a sex-change though - no way any dean could fire him/her without incurring a massive lawsuit!

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Way too easy, Not going there, Nope, Nada, Negatory, Nein, Nyet!.....Well I gues you could say Nusbacher is a proponent of unilatereral dis-armament :)

Bollocks, one day into the new year and I have got the PC crowds knickers in a twist :)

Oops I think I did it again!

Was Bollocks in bad taste?

3. thiborfirenz

thiborfirenz New Member

ok like many ppl on this forum i had more than a passing interest in history
    my min focus is 20th century history
    with what we call the 2 world wars as my main focus and i guess of the 2 i gravitate more to ww2
    as much more is know and having family members that fought in it or grew up thru it
    i also have some learning difficulties (20 years ago i was thick but today we are dislexic)
    anyway due to my learning problems i take in most of my history thru televisual media with odd foray into the internet for backup/background info

of my tv veiwing time most of it is spent on what was the militry history channel and discovery history ect
    so i was quite familiar with the good dr aryk nusbacher and tho yes he comes across at times like a junior school history teacher
    i quite liked his style of presenting history (lets face it, hes better than my monotone secondry school history teachers)
    i was even a little envious of him as i have a closet abition to teach at sandhurst
    (tho yes i know it would nvr happen , but one can have dreams)

so imagine my surprise this morning when watching an aljazera documentry about the october/yonkipper war when a familar but odd sounding voice came out of the tv !
    and then a moment later i saw the speaker ,
    now i should say here i was watching tv in bed at 2am in the morning trying to fall to sleep !
    well when i saw the face the voice was comming from i was SHOCKED
    RLY SHOCKED
    i thought OMG i know that face thats ,,,
    and just at that moment the name was put up on screen
    lynette nusbacher ?
    is it his wife i thought ,
    but no i could see it wasnt his wife it was him aryk (cuse spelling)
    ok im all for personal choice
    i dont like his choice but il defend his right to make it even if its wierd

but i have to ask
    how the hell did he pull this off and , and heres the important bit
    KEEP HIS/HER JOB AT SANDHURST
    sandhurst , il say it again this person works at sandhurst
    not some crappy other militry school like west point but sandhurst
    the worlds premier militry school and officer training center

now i was in the civil service for several years working along side serving solders
    ok most of them where NRPS or TA tho we had a few regs at our base
    so iv had some experience of army culture humor ect
    and to think a lecturer at sandhurst can take a sex change and keep his job just dumbfounds me !
    ok i know they cant sack him cos of political correctness
    but hell considering hes had his balls chopped off he must have had a massive pair tobe able to stick out the job with members of the british armed forces
    tbh it is a good job he works at officer school cos the squaddies would pull him to peices , i dont mean with violence but with humour
    i mean come on you have to stand back in awe of this guy for having the balls to stay at his job where he rutinely meets members of the uk armed forces

as iv stated i actully like the guy and good on him for having the guts to take such a radical move cos if he wasnt happy and now he is happy now then great
    but wow
    i just cant get over the nerve it must have taken to do this and remain working with british solder's

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

And a 'welcome to the forum' to you too....

5. Owen

Owen O

Vicar at my Mum's church had a sex change back in 2000.
    He was also a Chaplain to a TA unit.
    Once he became a she , she carried on in both roles.
    No big deal.
    Obviously is to some people though.

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Ex para I know is now a female...Not a problem...I know nothing of his history teachings...but I do know his sexual preferences...disability, colour, creed or religion does not stop him from commenting...

As to your West Point comment...Was that intentionally meant to be deriding and insulting.

And Sandhurst have a cross section of lecturers from all corners of life and the earth, including old enemies...and potential enemies of the future.

Or should the premier Military acadamy in the UK not get the whole view of the world and its problems and history? And not just a biased one?

Again I have no knowledge of the guy or girl in question...his her sex though is not an argument for knowledge.

7. thiborfirenz

thiborfirenz New Member

well then il say the same for the chaplin
    he/she must have nerves of steel

in my time working along side the british soldier (officer's nco,s and men) i found that they rly hated
    and hated with a passion 2 things
    one was illicit drugs and the other was ,,,,
    (im struggling to find the right word here, so il use several words to make my meaning)
    the other thing was Gays , crossdresser, lesbians, transgender
    (basicly anything outside of the "normal church definded man woman marrige") #

so in closing i must take my hat off to these ppl for having the moral fiber to go thru with this and stay within the british militry est

nb
    west point
    yes maybe i was being a little derogatory tho that wasnt my intention
    i rather clumsily was trying to make the point that sandhurst is considered by many tobe the worlds premire militry learning centre

it would also seem ppl have misunderstood my first post
    the main infact the only point worth making is in the very last line

"the nerve it must have taken to do this and remain working with british solder's"
    sign now ppl will attack me for calling british militry
    well as i say its just based on my experience of them
    im sure there are some very open minded ppl with in the british militry infact i do know a couple of them
    however overall those ppl are very much in the minoriry
    also it 10 years now since i left the civil service and things may have changed but sadly i doubt it

8. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Curious that...In my time serving16 and a half years...I served with many gays...All to my knowledge were accepted...few were ever outed to authority.

The chaplain should be there...most forces folk would say such...he should not though be in uniform and sharing the officers mess which puts the usual barriers in place to lots.

I wouldn't take your comments to serving alongside the British military too highly either. There are and always have been open minded folk in the British forces...they are not robots..we are after all a cross section and always have been of British society.

Bugger me...they even in uniform have floats at UK gay prides...Not my boat... but there you go time moves on...

I'm sensing you don't have any real understanding of the British Squaddie Matelot or Erk here..just your own perceptions based on serving in civil service...Don't care how many years you did there...you are not and never will be a member of that group. Homophobia is not welcomed here.

9. thiborfirenz

thiborfirenz New Member

once again you have compleatly misunderstood me
    im not homophobic

infact did i not say that i take my hat of to these ppl for having the nerve to go thru with what makes them happy
    and stay in a job they have chosen
    and if we all honest, being gay in the militry is one of, if not the hardest place tobe gay in these times

i know i have trouble getting my point across in text but it seems your not actully reading what im typing

10. sgt schlotter

sgt schlotter New Member

i am apalled, do none of you read history? Gay, transgender, and cross dressers run amok in the military, and are usually very good at what they do. No!, I am none of these, I have been married twice to women, but in the military i witnessed many brilliant officers and NCO's that were different. History proves they make excellant soldiers, and any that want to whine are proving what they really are.

11. sgt schlotter

sgt schlotter New Member

There are times that I disageed with Dr.Nusbacher, with historical accounts, But then, I do not have a Doctorate in the subject!

12. fannum

fannum New Member

Remember that many refer to a PhD as "piled higher and deeper!"

Yes, I was at Cambridge when I first met Nusbacher, and only took a Fellowship in Modern History, but even then was not impressed that he had 1) flamboyant and often contradictory opinions, and 2) that he seemed more devoted to expressive delivery and appearance than analysis and factual basis. It was like listening to a sermon to unworthy idiots by an acting school sophomore.

I enjoy a presentation by experts on a subject, and am amazed that he is an 'expert' on air, sea and land weapons, tactics and strategy, covering thousands of human conflict.

Yes, he may be a Sandhurst lecturerer today, but IMHO, wouldn't have been half a century previous. The English pioneered so many of the PC standars we are afflicted by presently.

Cheers

13. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I can vouch for that. I've encountered a good number of technical Ph.D's (science or engineering backgrounds) that, frankly, don't know much at all and hardly deserve the title. These have been people both in academia and in the private and public sectors. Some were so bad it seems that all they learned in grad school was how to be as pompous and condescending as possible. I've sat in on some thesis defenses for Masters and Ph.D candidates before and some of them were so bad its laughable. But I've never seen one of them failed, and I've personally only heard of 3 who have failed a Ph.D thesis defense in engineering over the past few decades. I can't say I've had much experience for arts/humanities Ph.D's, but I can only assume that the same applies.

Don't get me wrong -- there's plenty of people that fully deserve their Ph.Ds, but don't just assume everyone who has the title "Doctor" is right all the time and/or smarter than you. If you dig a bit deeper you may be surprised by what you find...

Disclaimer: None of this is directed at the original topic. I can't say that I know enough about Nusbacher to comment, although the few times I've seen him/her on TV he/she has come off as incredibly cocky and extremely shallow.

14. denny

denny Member

I had just done a search on this guy, because I have seen in him in quite a few videos.
    Yeah, I was "shocked" to find he had a sex change.....what can you say.?
    I think a lot of posters criticizing him based on his short, video, appearances are missing the point of those videos audience. Those vids are watched by the general public...they are not an intended part of a college curriculum.
    I would hazard a guess, and say most watchers find him informative and easy to listen to.
    I could not tell you anything about his lectures at Sandhurst.

15. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

I actually heard him lecture at an Australian Army symposium on the Korean War years ago. Sure, he has a showy style but it was clear to me that he knew his stuff. As to the other...well, I think sex change is nuts but if that's what he wants to do then that's what he wants to do. I don't see that it diminishes the person's qualifications in the field.

16. xiotika

xiotika New Member

This guy is now a gal, Lynnette Nusbacher, and she is one of the most annoying commentators I've ever listened to. I'm watching Netflix "Conspiracies" series (documentary from UK) and she takes the simplistic, "official stance" every time. I know they need "balanced opposition" on the show, but did they have to pick someone so annoying? Well, it makes their "conspiracy" case stronger with someone like her defending it, but honestly, it's hard to listen to her.

17. ColHessler

ColHessler Member