Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Original photo of 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich Member.

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by Heartfeltzero, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Heartfeltzero

Heartfeltzero Active Member

E6FBB422-C4AE-4007-BAE3-1736DA379759.jpeg
    You can see he’s wearing the Das Reich cufftitle, meaning he was with the 2nd SS Panzer Division. It was was an elite division of the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany during World War II, formed from the regiments of the SS-VT. The division served during the invasion of France and took part in several major battles on the Eastern Front, including in the Battle of Prokhorovka against the 5th Guards Tank Army at the Battle of Kursk. It was then transferred to the West and took part in the fighting in Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge, ending the war fighting the Soviets in Hungary and Austria. The division committed the Oradour-sur-Glane and Tulle massacres along with others on the Eastern Front. Photo from my collection.

Half Track and Riter like this.
  2. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Nice photo

Heartfeltzero likes this.
  3. Thriffanie

Thriffanie New Member

I actually just got a few books to help me identify nazi and ss regalia. Really looking forward to getting them. I actually might be getting a few photo albums that belonged to someone who was alive during the third reich. Not sure if they served or not because the auction house only showed a few photos. But I’m really excited! I can share the photos with you if I win them.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

5. Thriffanie

Thriffanie New Member

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The Handbooks were given to junior officers, the ones on the pointy end, to read during the Atlantic or Pacific crossing. They were accumulations of information collected by the earlier troops.

The Japanese Handbook is also at Otto's Hyperwar site.