Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Personal grooming

Discussion in 'Living History' started by William, Apr 8, 2003.

1. William

William Member

See, now that is the type of thing that SHOULD happen-the grenade bit I mean. We don't do many "battles" at all for the simple fact that most participants just stand and fire. Maybe I'm needy, but it makes everything a lot more interesting of people actually do something other then pull a trigger.

2. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Saturday at my reenactment we took some GIs prisoner. They got caught in the open trying to cross a field and were pinned down. So we went out there with a white flag tied to a rifle and took them prisoner it was really funny, sionce we don't usually get to do that.

3. Military History Network

Military History Network Registered Member

"... we went out there with a white flag tied to a rifle and took them prisoner ..."

It used to be that the would-be prisoners, not their captors, used the white flag.

And having the symbol of surrender on a potentially-loaded and ready-at-hand weapon was an invitation to serious bodily injury.

4. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

MHN, yeah, true, but then again if they fall for it, so be it, and it sounds like PzGren looked like he was making an offer of a truce.

As for the grenade thing, frankly I love grenades, they are so versatile, particularly stick grenades. I am an NCO but don't have the cash to hand for an SMG, but CQB with a rifle can be a bit of a mare, hense I tend to carry the rifle in one hand with a grenade in the other. If there are two or three guys in a trench and you jump in with a rifle they will make a fuss (they dont seem to understand that a round from a K98 would go through two or three men before it stopped if fired at point blank range, strange that) and I don't normally fire because picking shards of brass from a blank round out of your body is hardly fun. If you jump in with a Grenade in one hand and just toss it at them, 9 times out of ten they will either run (in which case you can get off a couple of rounds) or give in.

Do you guys ever get the chance to do any street fighting? We have one urban battle a year normally and it is hard but fun. I remember at the last one my younger brother and I spent the day scurrying through mouse holes, sewer pipes and so on from house to house, kept popping up behind people, chucking grenades into the room and vanishing, oh what joy :D .

5. William

William Member

We don't do much street fighting scenarios around here. It's mostly just out in the woods, although a bit north of us, and Panzergrenadiere can chime in on this, there is a place with a bunker, trenches, all kinds of fun things.

There is a place out West, Ft. Gruber (Oklahoma I believe) that allows reenactments-they too have houses, sewers, etc. They had an Eastern Front event not too long ago. The "Russians" were really trying to get a lot of men out there.

6. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

The biggest problem to my mind is that we fight in small groups, platoons at the largest, when really the whole 'kampfgruppe' should be coordinated and fight together instead of the silly little actions we fight. My unit has its own site with a proper bunker complex and so on, actually a WW2 AAA site near Bristol but very nice and great for battles.

7. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

As for my ealier mentioned white flag. 2 of my guys went out there and asked them if they'd surrended or prefered to fight it out. So I guess you could say it was a under a flag of truce.

As for the place rip was talking about. I know it well, since I've sweated my butt off digging and working on most of the stuff out there. Its a great battle site thats over 800 acres. Thats where my unit has a concrete bunker. I'll post the link to it up here sometime.I think I've posted it before. We have a western and russian front event every year. One inthe spring and one in the fall. Its always a fun time.