Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Personal Story from a POW 131st Field Artillery

Discussion in 'Military History' started by PShelton, Mar 1, 2009.

1. CassandraW

CassandraW recruit

R.I.P. Uncle Rufus

Hello Pat, hi everyone:

It's been a good 15 years since I posted a reply to this thread/message board and I just wanted to let everyone who was interested know that Rufus R. Choate passed away on January 31st, 2024 at the tender young age of 101, 6 weeks shy of his 102nd birthday. I don't have many details as I only found out through an article in the Wise County Messenger. His ashes will be interred at the Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery here in Dallas, fairly close to where he lived and where I grew up next door to him and my great aunt Anne as a kid. I plan to visit the cemetery as soon as I can.

I'm sorry I don't know what else to say, except that I am heart-broken I didn't get to see him before he died. I'm a little upset right now so forgive me if I don't respond, but I will try to if anyone has any queries. According to the article in the Wise County Messenger there is now only one member of the famed Lost Battalion who remains alive, a Robert L. Handley of Wyoming, Minnesota. I've attached a photo of Rufus at his 100th birthday celebration back in 2022. I wish I could have been there. Honestly he looks fit as a fiddle! :)

Also, I don't know if anyone has the photos that Pat originally posted years and years ago, but they no longer appear here on this thread and if Pat or anyone could help I'd love to get copies of those old photos.

Thanks,

CassandraW

Attached Files:

Otto, Slipdigit and CAC like this.
  2. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

:salute:

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

He looks like he was a sport.