Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Please help the NEWBIE, Please......

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Rob128146, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

In the light of day and different pair of glasses, the middle number I read as a 5 in the Register was actually a 6. Natman has better eyes than I (and apparently Lou, too) because I see this afternoon that I was looking at the entry for the 461st Amphibious Truck Co.

I'll do better next time. Maybe actually turn on brighter lights when looking through books with tiny numbers.

sonofacameron likes this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

In my own defense, I was only working off Rob's post. I did not look at the Register.

sonofacameron likes this.
  3. Natman

Natman Member

Now ya got me wondering? Checked again and they were in the Pacific. I checked the register first also, figuring there wouldn't be much on the web regarding a company sized unit. Then did a search and found a site showing a canteen belonging to a former member. Couldn't read the engraving very well but the text was talking about Europe?

My register is digital. Enlarge it to 200% or so and my old man eyes work great!

A number of members enjoy trying to solve these "mysteries" as I do. At least you're sticking around, some folks leave one message, it gets lots of responses, and they never come back?

Steve

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I've found references to the 451st Amphibian Truck Company only in the PTO:

Engineers of the Southwest Pacific, Vol. 4 - Has them participating in the Lingayen Gulf assault landing on Luzon.

PDF of Fort Benning paper cites GO 12 awarding participation credit for the Luzon Campaign. The 451st is one of the units listed.

The Transportation Corps: Operations Overseas has the following:

Didn't find anything on them being in the ETO.

Slipdigit likes this.
  5. Rob128146

Rob128146 New Member

Here is his Sep. Papers.

6. Rob128146

Rob128146 New Member

ok I need some more help. I had to resize it. It will only let me add a pic with 500kb. WHAT?

7. Rob128146

Rob128146 New Member

OK heres the best I can do guys. Having a major time with uploader. Wont even let me post a url from photobucket.
    James Glenn Honeycutt
    DOB - 1-28-1921
    Inlisted at Ft. Bragg to the 451st Amph Trk Co.
    Departure Date - 4-4-1943
    Date of Arrival - 4-22-43
    Date of Separation - 12-31-45
    Serial Number - 34313287
    Seen action in Guadalcanal, Bougainville, Original invasion of Luzon at Lingayen Gulf, and Northern Solomona

In his action he was awarded The Bronze Star Medal, Soldiers Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Theater Medal, Phillippine Liberation Medal, Good Conduct Medal, and WW II Victory Medal.

8 days lost under AW 107
    Lapel Button issued

Honorable Discharge

8. Slipdigit

Do you know how to send/receive personal messages here?

9. Slipdigit

Attached Files:

Rob128146 likes this.
  10. TD-Tommy776

The Bronze Star Medal award apparently didn't make it on his discharge paper. The clerk typing it up must have decided he didn't have enough room to include it. The news article does mention it in some detail, though, which is nice. It seems to put the incident sometime during the Lingayan Gulf assault landing. The GO awarding the BSM would be sometime after 9 Jan 1945, if you want to try and track it down.

Rob128146 likes this.
  11. Rob128146

Rob128146 New Member

Im still here guys. Benn out of town. Thanks Slipdigit for the help my friend.

12. Rob128146

Rob128146 New Member

TD-Tommy 776 I hate it wasn't on his discharge papers but his Soldiers Medal isn't either. I have both with his name on the back but no mention on discharge papers. I just ordered his DD214 and what ever else they have on file. I don't know what they have since the fire or what you will get but it said may take up to 5 to 7 weeks.

13. Rob128146

Rob128146 New Member

Also guys I have to order a few things. Can you help me with collar insignia, Maybe CIB, patches and what else may been earned or issued. I know a lot about USAAF but just started looking into the ground war. I read once every ground infantry person that seen action they received their CIB. Is this true or how did each solider earn it? Also patches is a big thing. can I or how would I learn about patches.

14. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

As for the CIB, I believe it was only awarded to servicemen whose MOS was Infantry. Not all infantrymen were awarded a CIB.

I'm not too sure about collar tabs. One would be a US insignia, but the other indicating his branch of service, I would need more information about what branch he was in. The same is true of patches. We would have to know where he was attached. I hope others with more knowledge will weigh in.

15. TD-Tommy776

IIRC, there were some instances where non-infantry MOS individuals received a CIB, but I doubt that would be the case here.

16. John Mark Thompson

John Mark Thompson New Member

Hello, my grandfather also served in the Pacific with 451st Amphibian Truck Company. I've found this reference to the 451st ATC in a U.S. Army Center for History book about Transportation units in WWII. I'll attach it as a file. DUKW_Trans.JPG

JJWilson likes this.
  17. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forums John!

18. MJ Potter IV

MJ Potter IV New Member

My Grandfather was also attached to the 451st. Ive been trying to look up their unit patches and such, if you have any pics of them that would be awesome.