Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Polish War Hero Recalls Normandy

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Jul 30, 2014.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Great that these stories are being collected while the men who were there are still around,
    "A 96-year-old Second World War veteran has recalled the moment he single-handedly fought a group of German soldiers during the Battle of Normandy.
    Brunon Smolenski arrived in France days after the D-Day landings and became embroiled in some of the fiercest fighting of the war.
    His bravery ensured he survived and earned him the Virtuti Militari - the Polish version of the Victoria Cross.
    The former soldier, who now lives in Dundee, told STV News about the moment he was confronted by a German Tiger tank.
    He recalled: “I didn't have time to be frightened.
    "Suddenly I stopped and my knees sagged. In front of me stood a Tiger tank and I thought in two seconds I'll be dead.
    “A group of Germans were running towards me from between the tank and the ditch. They didn't raise their hands, so I had to open fire. I always left opening fire to the last possible second to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    "I was lucky or something. Some people say someone was looking over you from heaven but i have difficulties with this."
    http://news.stv.tv/tayside/284347-brunon-smolenski-fought-german-soldiers-in-battle-of-normandy/

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A brave man. Hats off for this D-Day Vet