Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Private Collection Photos Germany Early 1945

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by rkline56, Oct 18, 2015.

1. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I don't know the particulars of the picture, whether the caption is legit or just an after the fact designation, but medics have always amazed me. Arguably one of the most courageous jobs in the armed forces of any nation. The ability to withstand ongoing firefights as well as consistent exposure to the horrors of war. Truly a remarkable human being wears the red cross on their helmet.

Not that I am not already inundated with a laundry list of books I need to read, but does anyone know of a good medic memoir from the Second World War? I have read accounts, but nothing substantial in print.

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

possibly they just took heavy fire...I've never read up on the medics, but they should have some great insight into the 'human-ness' of war

great point GT.....the books seem to put in the most popular ones

3. rprice

rprice Member

That photo was taken in Bischwiller, France, on December 9, 1944. A copy of it appears on page 141 of History of the 313th Infantry in World War II.
    http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015006962537;page=root;view=image;size=100;seq=7;num=3

My father, Lt. Edwin Price, was a platoon leader (I-2) in the battalion that captured Bischwiller that day and he remembered the scene in the photo. The dead soldier was the runner from the platoon of Lt. Harry Barbish. He and Barbish were both hit by fire from a submachine gun and the runner was killed. Barbish managed to take cover by getting into the courtyard of the adjacent house. At that point Barbish's platoon stopped advancing and his men took cover in the buildings along the street. The next officer on the scene was my father, who found Barbish's platoon sargeant and got the platoon moving again. Then they went looking for Barbish who they found, as Dad put it, lying on a manure pile.

Barbish and my father both attended the University of Cincinnati and they met up there after the war. They remained friends until Barbish's death in 1989.

rkline56 and KJ Jr like this.
  4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Thank yo for the info. Definitely puts the photo into deeper context.

5. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Awesome Mr. Price. Thank you for sharing your Father's story and I am so happy he and Mr. Barbish were able to return Stateside! Salute o7. The account of the Bishwiller assault is very well described, indicative of a squared away regiment, it is easy to see.

6. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Exceptionally pleased to be able to share this with the group, Gaines. Thank you.